Grand Cherokee WJ - Build

TazMann

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
2 hours ago, TazMann said:

Nope, i Honestly found cheaper parts in the UK. Delivered today as well. So really good from JeepChryslerParts!! Also the parts were made in Taiwan not China so that's a bonus as far as i am concerned..... 

The wheel spacers were 1.5 inches. I got them from Jeepey as I did with all the suspension lift at the time. I am sure they still sell them. 

Cheers TazMann as soon as time permits I will look into spacers 👍👍

Taiwan always better than China 🤣🤣 unless tour Taiwanese🥴

JeepChryslerparts are great , my friends own the garage in front of their building just up the road in Bicester. Filip the owner is a very knowledgeable guy on all things mopar and Jeep 👍

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
4 hours ago, Chrisby said:

JeepChryslerparts are great , my friends own the garage in front of their building just up the road in Bicester. Filip the owner is a very knowledgeable guy on all things mopar and Jeep 👍

that's always good to get a recommendation 👍

• Platinum Member
15 hours ago, Chrisby said:

Chrisby, Thats great to know. Thanks for the heads up 👍

4 hours ago, PDB said:

Sounds like you're reaching the point where our jeeps are more like Trigger's broom Taz! 😁

Should ride like a dream soon though. 👍

Triggers broom was perfect..... Just like the WJ. So long as it has the same VIN numbers it will always be the same Jeep that left the factory in Graz...... 🙄🤣😂

The funny thing is i have gone and sprayed WD40 on all the bolts to help taking everything apart and the noise has stopped....... But i know the bushes are knackered now so still fitting everything 🙂 

Edited by TazMann
  • Haha 1

• Platinum Member

Well "Triggers Broom" as PDB quite kindly put it 🤨 now has a nice firm rear end again...... 😁

I will post a few photos I got of the new lower control arms but to be honest I am a little knackered. Drove to my brothers for a little help and forgot to take my sockets, but did remember the spanner set also forgot to take my WD40. All his stuff was in his unit..... Can you see where this is going?????? Yep 15yrs worth of rust and crud on the bolts had to be broken off with a set of spanners.... Not a socket set in sight...... Hence why even typing this is killing 🤪

I think its time for a portable air compressor and tank and air tools.........

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, TazMann said:

Well "Triggers Broom" as PDB quite kindly put it 🤨 now has a nice firm rear end again...... 😁

I do like a nice firm rear....

• Haha 1

• Platinum Member

As promised a few photos of the rear control arms. Like I said the stuff from JCP was pretty good. The upper control arm was a factory second as far as i am concerned though. It is robot welded and the weld was misaligned on a section of the wishbone. The factory did go over it by hand but to me that's a second. But as it was quite cheap I aint gonna argue. 

I have also made the decision now that the Jeep apart from general upkeep and maintenance wont have any more additions. That's it. I'll keep her going as long as she is able as at present she has just of 64k on her so just run in. But as far as upgrades that's it. A few general things to do like tuck the exhaust up a little more but nothing major now. She is basically as I need her to be. Then again i have said all this before...... 🙄

IMG_20200910_101151.jpg

IMG_20200910_132419.jpg

IMG_20200910_132432.jpg

• Platinum Member

So I went out this morning and re-attached the exhaust heat shield just in front of the rear axle. Nice and easy just a couple of big washers. Also took a few photos of the Tow Hitch and my 4inch drop bar. I am right around 430mm from ground to center of the ball, so once loaded up with stuff in the trailer it will then fall nicely within the required heights 🙂 

IMG_20200912_101050.jpg

IMG_20200912_101057.jpg

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
On 11/09/2020 at 13:34, TazMann said:

As promised a few photos of the rear control arms. Like I said the stuff from JCP was pretty good. The upper control arm was a factory second as far as i am concerned though. It is robot welded and the weld was misaligned on a section of the wishbone. The factory did go over it by hand but to me that's a second. But as it was quite cheap I aint gonna argue. 

I have also made the decision now that the Jeep apart from general upkeep and maintenance wont have any more additions. That's it. I'll keep her going as long as she is able as at present she has just of 64k on her so just run in. But as far as upgrades that's it. A few general things to do like tuck the exhaust up a little more but nothing major now. She is basically as I need her to be. Then again i have said all this before...... 🙄

IMG_20200910_101151.jpg

IMG_20200910_132419.jpg

IMG_20200910_132432.jpg

HA HA heard it all before - I'm sure you will start finding other bits you want to change - you told me the same 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
On 11/09/2020 at 10:47, PDB said:

We're all invested in our own Trigger's Broom Taz! 😉😁 Been looking at pre-emptive replacement of bushes with spherical and poly myself. Maybe after what promises to be a difficult winter.

Probably recon steering rack first. Felt some gear slap since before the lift. Glad you got the ride sorted. 👍

SOOOOOOOOOOO this is the new Jeep TB then????????????????????? 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
9 hours ago, PDB said:

Oh yes  fully signed up me, Spookie 😎.

You can't stop now Taz with so few miles on the clock.

I decided I liked the model platform and mine was one of the last made. So I think I've got a way to go before it becomes TB.

If you want something different with personality, purpose and performance, you have to do what it takes. 🙃

Too right 👍🤣 it is all to easy to have something that looks like everyone else's. Its very good to see individuals who just want that something different from the norm. BIG UP THE JEEP TB BRIGADE 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• 3 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

Hi TazMann, bit of a silly question 😳 did you ever sell your old winch bumper? As I might be in the market for one 😳

• Platinum Member
On 11/09/2020 at 13:34, TazMann said:

IMG_20200910_101151.jpg

IMG_20200910_132419.jpg

IMG_20200910_132432.jpg

where did you get this kit from, was it expensive, i have a rattle coming from the back end, and i think it may be bushes or the center ball joint.

• Platinum Member
17 hours ago, spookie the aardvark said:

Hi TazMann, bit of a silly question 😳 did you ever sell your old winch bumper? As I might be in the market for one 😳

Spookie, I did sell the winch bumper. It sold in 5minutes LOL I am also a member of Jeep WJ UK on FB. So posted it there. 

4 hours ago, frosty said:

where did you get this kit from, was it expensive, i have a rattle coming from the back end, and i think it may be bushes or the center ball joint.

Frosty,

The kit was from JeepChryslerParts on Ebay. They had the rear control arm kit which was upper and lower arms and bushes, the drop link kit was separate. I think in total it came to £130 or so. I chose to replace everything rather than try and press the bushes out and back in. 

To be honest, I am still getting a strange noise when turning sharply at low speeds, as if something is rubbing or grinding together. Now thinking its differentials. I notice it mainly as i say in supermarket car parks. I am fed up with chasing noises now LOL. To be honest, the thought has crossed my mind to sell it 😳🙄 Just not sure LOL 

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

Thanks TazMann thought that might be the case as second hand winch bumpers are rarer than rocking horse poo 🤣🤣🤣, think i might have found a back up plan if the front tow hitch for my Jeep wont fit 👍

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
1 hour ago, frosty said:

thanks Tazman, will look on Rock auto also, i see their parts are also a good price. 

If looking at RockAuto just make sure the parts fit a right hand drive, some of us have had problems with differences between left and right hand drive models

• Platinum Member
18 hours ago, frosty said:

thanks Tazman, will look on Rock auto also, i see their parts are also a good price. 

Frosty, I went onto RockAuto first, far more expensive than the UK for some reason. Hence why I went JeepChryslerParts. With Rock, you have to add everything individually. JCP had the kits. So saved a lot of money. 

21 hours ago, spookie the aardvark said:

Thanks TazMann thought that might be the case as second hand winch bumpers are rarer than rocking horse poo 🤣🤣🤣, think i might have found a back up plan if the front tow hitch for my Jeep wont fit 👍

Spookie, I can only offer advice on the bumper. Personally I wouldn't go with a huge and heavy bumper. I am so glad i swapped back to an original bumper and the hidden plate. I can tell you there is a UK supplier of the hidden plates on Ebay. They are built to order and are very good quality. You can see in my build thread. Obviously I had to modify it but that was only to be able to fit in a twin core Alu Radiator. The hidden plate will allow a 12,000lb Warrior Winch Samurai to fit no issues. Plus the weight saving is a heck of a lot. With the Hidden Plate and the 2inch lift, i had to trim the front bumper very very slightly. Bear in mind my original blue bumper was given away...... Plus the front recovery eyes can be ordered at the same time and fitted. To be honest you can order just the front recovery eyes and bolt them on without all the winch plate. Bolt directly to the front of the chassis rails.

Yes it's a little more work to fit, but its a much better looking solution. There are some very very nice bumpers available in the US, but the shipping costs are more than the WJ is worth 🤪

Edited by TazMann

• Platinum Member

hi Tazman, have looked on JCP, i can see the individual parts, but no rear kit, have you got a p/n

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
2 hours ago, TazMann said:

Frosty, I went onto RockAuto first, far more expensive than the UK for some reason. Hence why I went JeepChryslerParts. With Rock, you have to add everything individually. JCP had the kits. So saved a lot of money. 

Spookie, I can only offer advice on the bumper. Personally I wouldn't go with a huge and heavy bumper. I am so glad i swapped back to an original bumper and the hidden plate. I can tell you there is a UK supplier of the hidden plates on Ebay. They are built to order and are very good quality. You can see in my build thread. Obviously I had to modify it but that was only to be able to fit in a twin core Alu Radiator. The hidden plate will allow a 12,000lb Warrior Winch Samurai to fit no issues. Plus the weight saving is a heck of a lot. With the Hidden Plate and the 2inch lift, i had to trim the front bumper very very slightly. Bear in mind my original blue bumper was given away...... Plus the front recovery eyes can be ordered at the same time and fitted. To be honest you can order just the front recovery eyes and bolt them on without all the winch plate. Bolt directly to the front of the chassis rails.

Yes it's a little more work to fit, but its a much better looking solution. There are some very very nice bumpers available in the US, but the shipping costs are more than the WJ is worth 🤪

Thanks TazMan again very good advice frome someone "Who has seen it. Done it. And got the Jeep to prove it" 👍🤣🤣 I was chatting to PDB on my thread about bumpers and stuff and he said the same as you about winch bumpers, so that idea has gone out the window 😂 Same with the idea of fitting a winch as if I am going to do any "off tarmac" stuff it will always be with someone else - who probably has a winch anyway. funny enough we are all thinking along the same lines as I am now considering getting a Front Recovery Shackle Tab Kit from HK Offroad, unless anyone knows places over here that do them, and like you said bolting them to the chassis rails. that is so much simpler than either a winch bumper or hidden winch plate.

problem at the moment is getting the Curt front tow hitch to fit and allow me to steer as well - kinda a big issue. The engineering solution to being able to use the Curt tow hitch maybe to use the chassis rails to mont some 0.25 inch thick angled plate and cut and shorten the horizontal bar on the hitch to fit. Would then need a tube inside the tow hitch bar to strengthen and welded as well. The tow hitch could then bolt to the angled plate. I need to chat to my mechanic and see which way he wants to go, I would think just bolting in the Front Recovery Shackle Tab Kit would be simplest but means buying more parts.

I still need to think about tyres and sizes, frosty fitted 245s to his and no cutting need and look really good but I read in the technical section I could fit 265/65/17 but I guess a bit of cutting requirded if I go that big

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
1 hour ago, PDB said:

If you can fit some good recovery hooks without a winchplate then great Spookie. They shouldnt be too expensive and you can sell the Curt front receiver without any further labour costs for engineering a fit?

Everone said to me get a WJ not a WK. The WK seems a lot more straight forward, if you are looking to move to something else Taz.

Cheers 👍Seen some on HK Offroading so can order from there, I think I have convinced myself to keep everything simple like you said before. Simple is always right 👍😁. I dont think the WK is more straight forward than the WG, I think it is a case of there being more options/parts available for the WK as it is newer. The same as there even more part/options available for the even newer Jeeps👍

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
1 hour ago, PDB said:

There is very little aftermarket for the WK but more emerging for the WK2.

But lifting a WK 2" with 265/70/17 tyres seems less problematic than the WJ. Although I did do a lot of research.

It could be a case of parts change from earlier to later versions and working on later models can become easier, the only issue as I understand it is that sometimes the new tyres can rub or catch on the bumper. Your model has a different bumper that may make this less prone to happen. Just kinda guessing here as this is my first Jeep and first time modding a Jeep and this is the only model I am familiar with at the moment - talk about popping a few cherries at the same time 😳🤣😳🤣😳🤣

Must admit I am learning so much about the WG and through listening to all the fantastic advice on here - I do note that no one said " dont do it stupid" 🤣🤣🤣🤣