Grand Cherokee WJ - Build

TazMann

• Platinum Member

:hijacked: lol not intentionally yes tim its a banks but was fitted before hawkestone so was on then, it must be the extra height from the tyres echoing the sound around more  :rofl:

• Platinum Member

:hijacked: lol not intentionally yes tim its a banks but was fitted before hawkestone so was on then, it must be the extra height from the tyres echoing the sound around more  :rofl:

I hear that the 33" Toyo MTs have that effect  :mdr: :mdr:

• Platinum Member

Woody/Raider,

I think I am going to Tong, not sure about Slindon though.

Getting out over the Christmas break sounds like a plan though. Got any ideas on where to go?

The exhaust will need to be relocated a little in the summer, needs tucking up a little more, hangs a little too low for my liking. But it can wait till the weather warms up again before i mess with it.

• 3 months later...
  • Platinum Member

Well after 12 months of having all the mods done to the WJ, I now need to start again.

Last night three thieving little pikey b@stards decided they would like the Winch and the LED Spotlights and Light bar.  :grrrrrr: :diablo:

Luckily for me a neighbor saw what was going on and rang the police, they managed to catch two of them but 1 got away in a van nearly running over one of the officers.

They only managed to escape with the lights, luckily for me the Winch proved a little too difficult for them to remove as they couldn't cut through the dynema rope.

So now i have to repair all the wiring loom for the lights and the winch and replace the lights. Oh great  :icon_cry:

Just wish these ar$eholes would get a job and buy their own stuff.

• Administrators

Sorry to hear that it's annoying when light fingered individuals behave like this! Hope you get back on track soon 

• Platinum Member

Well news from the Police today is that the 2 they managed to apprehend are going to court but they haven't managed to track down the driver of the van. Apparently the 2 haven't said a word at all.

So we now have to see what happens in court, who is guessing they will just get a slap on the wrist and told not to be naughty again.....  :whip:

• 1 year later...
  • Platinum Member

Well it certainly has been a while since I updated this hasn't it.

The court awarded me £200 for the theft for the lights etc, in the 12months since i have seen a grand total of £100. Chasing it gets you no where.

In other news more modifications are being made to the jeep again. I have been suffering recently with the car getting a little too warm for comfort on my commute. She runs fine in the cooler morning conditions but in an afternoon she gets warm (nearly in the red warm). Most people i have spoken too all say their WJ never gets above half way on the temp gauge... So with this all in mind i am going back to a stock front bumper (need to find one fist as I got rid of my old one) and removing the winch bumper. I have a bit a a diving trip coming up in July and have 200+ motorway miles to complete so need the cooling.  Don't worry though the winch will be refitted but hidden nicely behind the original bumper on a hidden winch plate. Should free up the Rad to do its thing  :icon_e_biggrin:

I am even consider refitting some LED lights to the roof  :fresse: but this time with anti-tamper bolts  :glasses:

• Platinum Member

Well phase one of the hidden winch mount has been purchased. Silver bumper off a 2004 so the face lift bumper. If it arrives tomorrow as they say it will I can clearance it for the 31inch tyres over the weekend and then get it sprayed to match the car.

I'll run it like that for a month or so before remounting the winch on a new plate just to make sure that the engine is running cooler as it should.

Something I should have done to start with, hindsight is a wonderful thing though I guess  :oops: Then again it means I can work on the Jeep again which is always fun  :icon_e_biggrin:

• Platinum Member

Cheers Raider.

This weekend was a total washout. Didn't manage to do a thing on the Jeep at all  :grrrrrr: not just the weather that stopped play but other issues. So now it looks like its going to have to wait for a few weeks.

Another question I do have though is what air compressors are people using out there? I need a decent once to inflate the tyres. Any recommendations?

• Platinum Member

here you go taz , twin piston , (ceramic)  use it regular mate on my 32's and the lads and anyone else who needs it at the time , fast too and has been reliable to date . around 65 quid not sure on price now , :great:

DSC025841.thumb.JPG.bb7fa116a60211ce8d733ed8fb273bf9.JPG

DSC025851.thumb.JPG.f3d638abf41458274418b2c7430f95df.JPG

DSC025861.thumb.JPG.276f21533bb8b84d01f3875fda70976f.JPG

DSC025871.thumb.JPG.4944cfe58030fe5a232a61353a616bde.JPG

• Platinum Member

Cheers Raider  :great: I'll look into them  :icon_e_biggrin:

• Platinum Member

Well a few evenings work and the new (original spec) bumper is back on. Yep its silver as it was the only one I could find at the time but it has been trimmed and just clears the 31inch tires now. I did have to force the fog lamp bulbs in upside down to give me the final bit of clearance though  :oops: I'll check the articulation out over the weekend.

So now to get it painted in the original Jeep Patriot Blue and run it for a while. Then the back end of the summer I am going to fit the winch in behind the bumper on a hidden mount. Not sure if i'll buy one or just fabricate one up myself yet though.

IMG-20180531-WA0009.thumb.jpeg.4f5867375c8f9d2888eed66e59dc5583.jpeg

IMG-20180531-WA0011.thumb.jpeg.5e541082685e664ed94943f7fc26222b.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

Well the removal of the winch bumper has bought the temperatures back down again, and by the looks of the weather recently I did it just in time ? 

A new hidden plate will be added at some point this year. Just got to figure out what to do about transport too and from work...... Do I upgrade to a JK or JL or keep the WJ and get something a little more sporty..... decisions decisions. 

• 8 months later...
  • Platinum Member

So last night taking the dog to the vets the handbrake cable decided it had had enough after 14years of use...... So this weekend will involve me taking the majority of the interior out to replace the short front section ? Why do we keep putting ourselves through these troubles for our jeeps???? 

Also planning the next round of mods....... Just dont tell the wife ?

• Platinum Member

Well that was an eventful Saturday morning ?

So I decided that the handbrake cable had snapped at the front section, confirmed (or so I thought) buy checking the equalisation plate below the back seats, loose front cable, check. So out came the rear seats, the front drivers seat and the center console ready to peel the carpets back.  Now I will say I did the centre console last to give me a little more room to move things around. Just before I peeled the carpets back i thought i'd take a good look at the spring assembly on the brake leaver to figure it all out as after watching a few "youtube" videos people were saying it was a nightmare. Now comes the surprise.....

The brake cable was intact ? and no cut strands on the cable. Not sure how, but it had just popped out of the handbrake assembly. 15 minutes spent figuring out the spring assembly and hey presto a fully working handbrake again. So know I have a spare cable in case it ever does break properly. Another hour of refitting the seats and centre console and one happy jeep owner again. 

Must remember next time to take the centre console out first though and check the cable.... would have saved taking everything out LOL However the carpet is very clean drivers side ?? also the spring assembly is really easy once you know how..... 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

The WJ went in for its MOT on Saturday and flew through again. That makes 5 years running now in my ownership that she has had no problems. Can't say that about many of the other cars I have owned, no matter how much you maintained them ?

• 4 months later...
  • Platinum Member

Well the next phase of the GC is about to start. I don't think i'll ever be finished with adding things to the Jeep. Even though I do tell Mrs Taz there is not much to do 😂🤣

So on order we now have a Snorkel. That will be fitted as soon as i am back of my holidays. I'll then be fitting another winch bumper, New Radiator ( 2 row for additional cooling), new light bar as never got around to replacing the stolen one and a power management system for the light(s). 

As ever with the build i'll get plenty of photos up 😁

Oh, and dont tell Mrs Taz, but I am also thinking of an Iron Rock Offroad 6.5 long arm lift kit and all the hassle of swapping the driveshafts out..... But that will be at a later date. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

Well the parts are slowly being delivered now. Got a holiday coming up then a few weekends to fit all the new stuff.

Winch Plate for the hidden winch

2 Row Radiator

New Water Pump

New Thermostat

Snorkel

ARB Diff breather

Hopefully it will all be done by the end of September, and with the rain we had a few weeks ago I think the Snorkel will come in handy this winter...... 

• 1 month later...
  • Platinum Member

Hi all,

Need a little help. Hope someone reads this here as for some reason I can't post in the WJ technical section 🤨

Anyway I have managed to get hold of what i believe is a Mopar WJ Tow Hitch for my WJ. It has a removable tow ball with a sort of locking thing on the side. I am just trying to find the instructions for the use of the ball...... It locks in but the clip does release the ball very easily (probably different when a trailer is on it). Just wanted to know exactly how it all works. 

Can anyone help? 

Updates coming up on the WJ build as well. Been on holiday since ordering all the new parts. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

The next phase of the WJ mods are now underway. Hopefully renewing all the cooling system will get the temps back under control. Taking the front end off enabled full access to the old Radiator, which is being replaced with a 2core alloy one, the water pump and the thermostat. Plus enables access to fit the hidden winch plate and the snorkel. So well worth it.

All the work is being done my my brother at his garage. He is a fabricator so I might even get him to knock up a full set of underbody protection as well for me..... Anyone needs any custom work doing on there Jeep ;let me know and i'll put you in contact with my Brother. Based around Halesowen, West Mids 

Jeep1.jpg

• Platinum Member

More progress made today with all the major metal work for the Snorkel now being done. The Water Pump and Thermostat now replaced as well. Just got to finish the snorkel install and then onto the hidden winch plate and then finally the new radiator. Should all be done by the weekend 😊

IMG-20191029-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20191029-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20191029-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20191029-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20191029-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20191029-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20191029-WA0013.jpg

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

Wednesdays progress was mainly on the Hidden Winch Plate. Out with the thin tin between the chassis legs and in with plate steel 😎 That should strengthen things a little more...... The new radiator is a tiny little bigger than the old stock one so the recovery eyes needed to be trimmed down a little. All the welds were redone to make sure they don't separate in use. A nice coat of Raptor prior to installing the winch will keep the plate nice and rust free. 

Also removed some of Whtiecliff Quarry from the aircon radiator....... 😯

IMG-20191030-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20191030-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20191030-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20191030-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20191030-WA0011.jpg

IMG-20191030-WA0016.jpg

IMG-20191030-WA0017.jpg

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

So spent Saturday morning helping my brother out with the Jeep. Taken a lot longer as I have upgraded stuff as I ordered stuff. So the winch plate will fit the WJ just fine, as long as unlike me you don't decide that you want to upgrade the radiator to a twin core.... Things get a little tight when you do. Also the winch plate removes the slam panel supports, apparently just cable tying them to the brace that holds the power steering cooler radiator up is good enough..... I don't think so.... We went with the nice inch wide flat bar bare from the slam panel down to the winch plate. Now the slam panel don't move around and the bonnet shuts nicely. 

So still plenty to finish up but more photos of the progress. Well the front is all off again as the front end has now been coated in Raptor to keep it nice and rust free. Oh and my 12000lb warrior samurai fits perfectly. I'll even be able to leave the clutch alone. Just pop the front grill to get to it 😎

IMG_20191102_110848.jpg

IMG_20191102_111400.jpg

IMG_20191102_111412.jpg

IMG_20191102_122815.jpg

IMG_20191102_123012.jpg

• Like 2