Grand Cherokee WJ - Build

TazMann

• Platinum Member

I have given the CV's and the UJ's a good look and feel over. There doesn't seem to be any play at all in them, despite being lifted on the CV front Prop. 

I'll slowly go over the entire drivetrain at this rate and have a brand new WJ LOL

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

🤣 If I remember right, some time ago TazMann, you said you wouldn't be doing anything else to your baby 🤣 The noise you can hear is a sulky WG that just wants more love and attention 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

• Platinum Member
15 hours ago, spookie the aardvark said:

🤣 If I remember right, some time ago TazMann, you said you wouldn't be doing anything else to your baby 🤣 The noise you can hear is a sulky WG that just wants more love and attention 🤣🤣🤣🤣

🤣 spookie your probably right there. However, mine is certainly a WJ now 😜 It has more parts on it from America than it did when it left the Graz plant 😂🤣 

• Haha 1

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
12 hours ago, TazMann said:

🤣 spookie your probably right there. However, mine is certainly a WJ now 😜 It has more parts on it from America than it did when it left the Graz plant 😂🤣 

🤣🤣 Mine has a shed load of parts on it from the States but I still call it a WG TazMann🤣🤣

It doesn't matter what we call them, they are all the same - FUN 🤣🤣

So much so that mine now has a sister 🤪 2004 CRD 🤪 I must be mad to be a single dad to a two Jeep family 🤪

:rsz_img16:

IMG_20210418_172225.jpg

IMG_20210418_172316.jpg

IMG_20210418_172329.jpg

IMG_20210424_151102.jpg

IMG_20210424_151135.jpg

• Like 2

• Platinum Member

Another one..... Spookie, you are mad! I have enough problems with one, let alone a second. 

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
5 hours ago, TazMann said:

Another one..... Spookie, you are mad! I have enough problems with one, let alone a second. 

Yep mad as a box of frogs 🤪🤪🤪🤪 but at least I have some idea about working on the WGs and a lot of the parts are the same 🤣🤣🤣

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
2 hours ago, PDB said:

Double trouble! 🤑😁

Tell me about it 🤣 but now I have both the same make and model, just different engines, gear boxes and what ever other bits they changed between the V8 and CRD 🤔🤪🤪🤣

Well the body shells sort of look the same and the seats sort of look the same and most stuff is in the same places - sort of 🤣🤣

• 3 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

So going back to the Axle/Diff issues. The new LSD Diff oil didn't really do that much other than give me the peace of mind to know it was new and fresh. After a week or so the metallic grinding/graunching sound returned. Now don't do many miles at present mainly just to the shops and back etc with longer weekend runs. So i knew there was no major danger of killing anything.

Last week I ordered some of the friction modifier for the WJ's Qudradrive Axles as a final resort, bearing in mind I did add diff oil that contained friction modifier in the first place. I ordered up 2 bottles but have only used one. I added an additional 60ml of the friction modifier to each axle on Friday and have given the jeep a good run around over the weekend to get the oil where it needed to be. Dropped my step-daughter home yesterday after lunch and spotted it was after closing time for the local Tesco....... Many Many tight circles in the carpark later and now the diffs are finally noise free at last. 🥳

I should have known really from the outset, just go with what Jeep say too even if its old technology. Just easier in the long run 🙄 There was certainly none of it added to the oil's that Jeep put in there for me..... Lets see how long she stays quiet for now. 

Edited by TazMann
  • Haha 1

• Platinum Member
3 minutes ago, PDB said:

Alleluia! A simple cheap solution - the best kind! 

Thats great news Taz. So what are the next mods with the money you've saved? 😉

Nothing else will be done to the WJ now. It is going to be left as it is and just used and maintained. I am not going to put any further money into it, its done! I mean that this time. 

• Sad 1

• Platinum Member

I'll keep the build thread going with the maintenance side of things as its needed but actual build/modification is done on it now. 

To be honest, we are very limited in the UK with WJ/WG upgrades. There are options from the states but import and shipping is very expensive, if that changes in the future who knows what may happen. So for now, the WJ is done. Now its time to just use it. 

Next thing is to strip the winch again and give that a good going over again LOL 

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
8 hours ago, TazMann said:

I'll keep the build thread going with the maintenance side of things as its needed but actual build/modification is done on it now. 

To be honest, we are very limited in the UK with WJ/WG upgrades. There are options from the states but import and shipping is very expensive, if that changes in the future who knows what may happen. So for now, the WJ is done. Now its time to just use it. 

Next thing is to strip the winch again and give that a good going over again LOL 

Hi TazMann, I know what you mean about the limited modifications avalable and your so right about the cost of importing stuff from America - I have been there and done that - many times 😱😭

As said before on this thread, you cant give up on your baby - SHE WONT LET YOU 😱 You know what WG/WJs are like 😱

Just remember what happened in the film "Christene" That film could have been made about our model of Jeep 🤣🤣🤣😱

• Platinum Member
12 hours ago, spookie the aardvark said:

Hi TazMann, I know what you mean about the limited modifications avalable and your so right about the cost of importing stuff from America - I have been there and done that - many times 😱😭

As said before on this thread, you cant give up on your baby - SHE WONT LET YOU 😱 You know what WG/WJs are like 😱

Just remember what happened in the film "Christene" That film could have been made about our model of Jeep 🤣🤣🤣😱

Unless by some miracle we suddenly get very cheap import and taxation fees from America I can honestly say that I have no more plans. If the miracle happened then there would be a full longarm mega lift going on. I know bigger lifts are available in the UK, however the company that makes the kits isn't very high on my list for quality. So that's why I have ever gone that route to be honest, there is also the faff of having to convert a LHD kit to a RHD vehicle. 

The build has been fun i must admit, and as i have said i will continue to post the maintenance updates in here, but she is done and is going to just get used now. All the cutting and welding etc is done LOL 

Also if she turns into Christine and starts getting "needy" then she will be sold........ 😈 I have threatened her a few times already recently! 🤣😂

• Haha 1

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
9 hours ago, TazMann said:

Unless by some miracle we suddenly get very cheap import and taxation fees from America I can honestly say that I have no more plans. If the miracle happened then there would be a full longarm mega lift going on. I know bigger lifts are available in the UK, however the company that makes the kits isn't very high on my list for quality. So that's why I have ever gone that route to be honest, there is also the faff of having to convert a LHD kit to a RHD vehicle. 

The build has been fun i must admit, and as i have said i will continue to post the maintenance updates in here, but she is done and is going to just get used now. All the cutting and welding etc is done LOL 

Also if she turns into Christine and starts getting "needy" then she will be sold........ 😈 I have threatened her a few times already recently! 🤣😂

Must admit I fully understand and agree with you about the cost and availability of bits for Jeeps and there has to come a point when you have to stop😱😭 .............. or slow down😤🥱 ..................... or do what the wife tells you 🤐😂😂

You can threaten to sell your Jeep as much as you want but she will just come back and haunt you 😱 Us WG/WJ owners have to be a brave and strong breed ........................................ and put our hands in our wallets a lot to keep our Jeep babies happy 🤑🤑🚘🚘🚘🤣🤣

• Platinum Member

Spookie, no one can say I haven't spent on the car. Its had the best of the best everytime, and then its had what Jeep want you to have 😂🤣 The Jeep has had a considerable amount spent on it. 

If its still behaving when Whitecliff comes around i'll be there 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

So......... 

The Jeep........

I think its going to be put up for sale in the next few weeks 😱

Since all of the lock down stuff happened and as you can see in the build thread i wanted to try and use it for getting away with our two huskies camping etc. Its just proven a bit of a logistical nightmare to be fair. So looking at selling this and going down the camper route. 

The car has wanted for nothing. Its been, as this thread is a testament to looked after. 

Anyone on here potentially interested? I will be looking for around £4,000 OVNO. Its got MOT to 30/03/2022 and is on 65,000 miles. This will go up a little as its still in use. 

• Sad 2

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
3 minutes ago, TazMann said:

So......... 

The Jeep........

I think its going to be put up for sale in the next few weeks 😱

Since all of the lock down stuff happened and as you can see in the build thread i wanted to try and use it for getting away with our two huskies camping etc. Its just proven a bit of a logistical nightmare to be fair. So looking at selling this and going down the camper route. 

The car has wanted for nothing. Its been, as this thread is a testament to looked after. 

Anyone on here potentially interested? I will be looking for around £4,000 OVNO. Its got MOT to 30/03/2022 and is on 65,000 miles. This will go up a little as its still in use. 

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

• Platinum Member

Spookie, Its taken me a long while to come to this decision, but it's the only one now i'm afraid. 

I am going to put it in the Vehicles for sale section shortly and it will also go up on the Jeep WJ Facebook page. 

I have loved every moment of ownership to be honest. Just need something that fits in with plans and can do what i need it too now. So if you know anyone who may be interested send em my way LOL 

• Platinum Member

No you can not do this.

Never thought that I would ever ever suggest this to anyone but how about a caravan being pulled effortlessly along by your WJ?

• Platinum Member
7 minutes ago, JimC said:

No you can not do this.

Never thought that I would ever ever suggest this to anyone but how about a caravan being pulled effortlessly along by your WJ?

Jim,

I have thought about it. I am one of the new school that would have to go and do another stupid test to be able to tow a caravan. I used to have one that was permanently sited in North Devon to be honest. I just don't want the faff of storage and dragging it in and out. I have nowhere to store anything at my house so all the extra costs make it prohibitive. The camper can still be used daily for shopping and everything as well. 😢

This is a decision I have honestly not taken lightly. Afterall Bob Seaborn and Grey Thunder were my inspiration for this build. Just never bit the bullet on the 6inch Long Arm Kit. 

• Platinum Member

😧 ..Firstly, Jim is right. Not sure about the caravan, how about a nice comfy roof tent....or even a nice comfy tent.

I remember seeing you and your WJ for the first time at Whitecliff 4 or 5 years ago was it when you had the fan or was it water pump issues. You've put in a lot of time and effort and not seen much fun and use in the time since then. Now would seem the time to finally get some use out of it and enjoy it.

Second.......it's a 4.7 V8 right.......mmmmm 😋 V8....I am almost tempted 😁 

• Platinum Member
5 minutes ago, TazMann said:

Jim,

I have thought about it. I am one of the new school that would have to go and do another stupid test to be able to tow a caravan. I used to have one that was permanently sited in North Devon to be honest. I just don't want the faff of storage and dragging it in and out. I have nowhere to store anything at my house so all the extra costs make it prohibitive. The camper can still be used daily for shopping and everything as well. 😢

This is a decision I have honestly not taken lightly. Afterall Bob Seaborn and Grey Thunder were my inspiration for this build. Just never bit the bullet on the 6inch Long Arm Kit. 

Grey Thunder was an awesome machine, does anyone know what happened to it once he bought Stewarts Dozer JKU? Has he still got it?

• Platinum Member
2 minutes ago, TimC said:

Grey Thunder was an awesome machine, does anyone know what happened to it once he bought Stewarts Dozer JKU? Has he still got it?

Tim,

Grey Thunder was for sale on Ebay a few years ago. Bob sold it on. Not sure who has it now to be honest. It was an awesome bit of kit though. 

I have been out and about in it myself over the years, just doing a few lanes hear and there. Its entirely been a show pony 🤣 Yes Whitcliff in 2016 I think it was. the Power Steering Pump died and as a reault took out the Fan.... Silly Hydro fan. However, now that its all working it does stay nice and cool, especially with the twin core Rad. these 4.7 V8 need to be kept cool or they drop valve guides. So glad i did that upgrade.

The roof tent was thought about. However the wife has very bad Rheumatoid Arthritis so climbing the ladder is a no go. the rack was fitted for that exact reason, but her RA has just gotten worse 😢 Hence the CamperVan. 

• Platinum Member
9 hours ago, PDB said:

Sorry to hear this Taz

I suppose you ve considered the screenhouse pro option with knee height camp beds I showcased on the Black Pearl thread? My mate has a camper and he thought screenhouse with campbeds was the ideal solution coupled with a 4x4. Here is why:

1. Midges - ruin a glorious still evening by attacking you or someone with you. You need a mozzy screen room of somekind anyway or be trapped in a van.

2. Major restrictions where you can camp - laybys a no go unless you want the risk of being moved on. Depending on camper there are cost and size restrictions at campsites. Day van more doable but, definitely need a gazebo. My mate upgraded from VW day van to luton size camper for space. Then missed the connection not sleeping outdoors. No camping in farm fields or comfortable travelling off tarmac e.g. on interesting euro mountain routes.

3. Noise of appliances disturbing sleep. You may end up sleeping in a gazebo anyway!

4. You wont use it much for anything else unless its a day van, with the stated drawbacks. If you think the WJ was expensive, campervan ownership is a whole new world of spend no matter the option!

But Im not dissing vanlifers - a great scene if you like that sort of thing. Sorry to see the end of your build thread Taz. 😔

I asked Bob once what happened to Grey Thunder. He said a military lad had bought it.

PDB I have considered everything to keep the Jeep. It's not been ans easy decision at all to be honest. But, The jeep has to go. We are going to go down the VW route with a T5 LWB. Its all self contained and also get an drive away awning. Its the only real solution to be honest.

The Jeep will be going up on sites throughout the day i guess. See how it goes. Sad times but plans do change. 

• Platinum Member

PDB. Thats all we want to do also, get out there and Enjoy the countryside and the Country. I might even venture abroad, well once we have the hang of it all LOL

The T5 arrives home tonight so the driveway is going to be crowded to say the least 😃

Just want to say thank you to everyone on here who has helped me on the Jeep Journey. The crowd of people and Mod's on this forum has been the best I have ever know. That's the truth. Great forum. I'll be around for a while, until the mods kick me off for not having a Jeep LOL 

• Platinum Member

Sad to see the build end. What a journey, but these things are what makes life not just living. New projects, new adventures, new horizons. Or hotels... or....

Could you put all the Jeep drive train under a VW Camper?