Grand Cherokee WJ - Build

TazMann

• Platinum Member

Well I got home to a nice surprise this evening. The lift kit for my WJ has arrived from the nice people at Jeepey  :great: Just waiting on the wheel spacers from them now and the modifications can start  :icon_e_biggrin:

Also ordered some tow straps ready for the outing to Whitecliff in May. So at least if i do get stuck, I will have my own straps for some nice person to help drag me out. Promise I will try really hard to not get stuck  :glasses:

The kit I got was off that auction site. 3 straps all 5000kgs rated and 2 shackles to 3 1/4ton. I'm happy with them.

Anyway i'll keep this thread updated with my modifications.

Si.

20160225_155845.thumb.jpg.15e516e0b5c9e4dfc49a99b7af1a3873.jpg

20160225_160547.thumb.jpg.8f9ab37029094b496a3c17e8567cf1b7.jpg

20160225_160558.thumb.jpg.b4db94acef9b4e407597a79db3451dac.jpg

20160225_160610.thumb.jpg.95102c0e66133bcf5a5d9928e93248dc.jpg

20160225_160907.thumb.jpg.554e47bbb43573ba2e3559f7c810fd63.jpg

• Platinum Member

Darren,

This is just a 2inch lift. Should get me on 31inch tyres so an extra inch beneath the axles at the end of it  :glasses:

• Platinum Member

Darren,

This is just a 2inch lift. Should get me on 31inch tyres so an extra inch beneath the axles at the end of it  :glasses:

Good stuff  :great:

Daz

• Platinum Member

Well I spent the morning with my Brother and we got the new suspension fitted along with the 1 1/4 wheel spacers. I am really please with the truck now. Looks like it should have when it left the factory.

I'll get some pictures up tomorrow, I need to wash it  :icon_e_confused: before I get the photos taken.

Anyway I will be asking tyre questions. Whats best to go for. I have options of 255 x 70 x 17 or 265 x 65 x 17 The later giving me just less than a 31inch tyre. Do i go for the wider tyre or the narrower one? Help....

• Platinum Member

Hi Si

Sounds like your cracking on with your jeep build, hope your enjoying it.

Hopefully having my lift fitted to my wrangler in the next couple of weeks,

Im a newbie to off road as well and just up the road in Stoke,  also going to whitecliffe so hopefully met you then maybe meet on the way down and convoy ?

• Platinum Member

Woody,

The Grand Cherokee build is going along. Next its tyres and a CB. Then I will be looking at a hidden Winch Mount for it. All money LOL

Certainly meet up on the way down to Whitecliff. I'll be heading down the M5 and M50 to Whitecliff. Could meet at Frankley Services Southbound on the morning. Hopefully have me a CB fitted too by the. If i can figure out where the hell to mount it LOL

Si

• Platinum Member

As promised, photos of the WJ sitting on her new Trailmaster Stage II suspension. I am really happy with how the system fitted and works. Given me well over 2inches as the old suspension was shot.

Jeepey told me it would change the way the car drove and they were right. Feels a lot tighter and the body roll has vanished. Thanks Jeepey  :great:

The wheel spacers also put the wheel and tyre just where I wanted it. Perfect.

Next is tyres. Off to Silverline in Warwick at some point, however I think I need to leave the wife at home as I really like the look of those Mickey Thomson Sidebiter wheels........  :icon_e_surprised:

The eagle eyed among you will see a defender sat on the drive. Don't worry I haven't bought it. I'm not that mad!!! Its a works car for next week. Have to access a few areas within forestry commission land and its rather muddy. So I told them they needed a 4x4. Got this delivered on Friday with 20miles on the clock. Hate driving it. So agricultural. Work wouldn't let me use my car  :icon_e_sad:

20160227_093348.thumb.jpg.bd3d1cf1e90ea436073dd63730c23956.jpg

20160228_113330_001.thumb.jpg.123058640155d775a014148ed0ef65eb.jpg

• Platinum Member

Looking good nice job, no what you mean about spending mone, got lots of things to do to mine, even brought 2 bumpers yesterday another job for another day,

havent looked into cb's yet but its on the list might get one prior to whitecliff, no problem with meeting at frankley services.

good luck with the other jobs

cheers woody

• Platinum Member

well had a trip down to Silverline in Warwick this morning. Nothing purchased yet , but I am waiting on a call back on Monday to confirm a few things.

245 70 17 Cooper ST Maxx are not available in the UK yet, but should be soon, they are going to confirm a date for me otherwise I will go with the BFG AT K02 tyres. Also waiting for them to confirm that the container that's on its way from the USA contains some 17x8 DC Torque wheels..... The wife has decided that the standard alloys need changing as she doesn't like them  :icon_e_biggrin: there was me worried that she would say no......  :rofl:

• Platinum Member

Quick update.

Silverline cannot get the 245 70 17 ST Maxx as the US haven't actually made them yet, even though it appears on the UK website, so going with the BFG AT K02's. They also don't have any 17 or 18 inch Cepek Torques in stock or on the container on its way that will fit the WJ, so just tyres this time around.

Still it leaves a little more money, so the hidden winch bumper is moving up the list. the question is will it be fitted in time for Whitecliff???

• Platinum Member

Went had had the new tyres fitted this morning at Silverline in Warwick.

245 70 17 BF Goodrich AT K02's. Had 4 plus the spare. Sets the WJ off nicely with the 2inch TrailMaster kit.  :icon_bounce:

However, I did still have to do some trimming to get the 31inch tyre in. The tyre was catching on the front driver side bumper. So out with the Dremel and off came the plastic of the bumper and the wheels arch liner. Also had to fudge the fog light bulb in upside down so that the tyre didn't catch that. The passenger side didn't catch for some reason. Probably find out that it is but not making a noise like the drivers side. I guess some bumpy lanes will soon shown me :icon_e_confused:

I am now happy with the stance of the WJ. Looks good even if I say so myself.

20160312_144716.thumb.jpg.d5fa5078ef6e614c6d9c586a40bd3edd.jpg

• Platinum Member

Thanks for the comments guys. I am pleased with the look.

However, Woke up this morning to find the front passanger tyre flat  :icon_e_surprised: Went out thinking the bead hadn't sealed correctly with my pump and found a puncture on the sidewall........  :icon_massacre:

So now i need to take it to the local tyre place and hope that the tiny puncture can be patched and just use that one as an emergency spare. But i know that most of the time the refuse to patch a side wall. I am so not happy today  :icon_cry:

Dont worry Woody, it will be muddy soon enough  :great:

• Platinum Member

Well that tyre is scrap  :icon_cry:

So back to Silverline we go next week.

• Platinum Member

Ian,

We are having the roof replaced on the house. The roofer must have missed a few of the nails on the Drive  :icon_cry: The nails aint little ones they are all around 6 inches. Its also taken out one of the wife's tyres on her Nissan. Not been a good day at all! I have been out and made sure to sweep the entire drive and the path. Found loads just lying there that blended in with the tarmac.

• Platinum Member

Bad luck with the nails si bet your gutted, give the builders what for tomorrow

• Platinum Member

Arghhh that sucks :( ... I'd take the price of a tyre of his bill, might make him a bit more careful in the future  :grrrrrr:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

Well the postman has certainly been busy delivering things here for me  :icon_e_biggrin:

Firstly big thanks to Lukasz (Benek-36) for dropping off the winch bumper over the weekend, going to do the job and look the part on the jeep.

The winch has now arrived. I decided I would go with the Warrior Winch Samurai. A 12000lb synthetic rope winch. So that's going to be installed on the bumper right after I have applied the Raptor to the bumper. Luckily for me a local paint shop also deals with U-Pol. Going with standard black for now and see how it holds up. I may actually get a tintable kit later on and go body coloured. 

Just waiting on some new LED lights to drop into the bumper now.

Hopefully all this will be fitted this weekend after the WJ has had its MOT.

I can't wait to try out the kit  :icon_bounce: Roll on Whitecliff.........

Photos to follow.

• Platinum Member

Serious transformation taking place, May be able to give you some winch practice at whitcliff

• Platinum Member

Woody,

Sure i'll be able to Winch you out if you get stuck. Saves asking too much of the Dogs dont it  :rofl:

It is a big transformation, however I am loving the new look. Looks like a Jeep should now, and not a Chelsea tractor  :oops:

• Platinum Member

Well the winch bumper from Benek-36 has been installed. it has just had one coat of Raptor at the moment. going to do another coat or two when the weather warms up.

Just got the winch to fit this weekend weather permitting and the major modifications are complete for now. CB to install at some point, but again, just waiting for the rain to cease now.

I am happy with how the WJ is looking now  :great:

20160327_173843.thumb.jpg.fcc57b9bf184ea30e776c6284ac53e4c.jpg

20160327_173850.thumb.jpg.e32308df6c28303ca32678dcd61c537d.jpg

20160327_173858.thumb.jpg.15c9071e6cac0d4b8853a3c8ccff7ceb.jpg

• Platinum Member

You paint the raptor yourself or have someone do it?

I'm thinking of doing it to the ARB before I mount it next week