Grand Cherokee WJ - Build

TazMann

• Platinum Member

thanks mate, jeep is great now, i bought a Ifor williams Trailer to help with moving house next month, we are doing some extensions, and building a 3 car garage, so there will be a lot of stuff to shift, the WJ will be kept busy. 

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
3 hours ago, frosty said:

thanks mate, jeep is great now, i bought a Ifor williams Trailer to help with moving house next month, we are doing some extensions, and building a 3 car garage, so there will be a lot of stuff to shift, the WJ will be kept busy. 

Now that is what I call Jeep dedication frosty - moving house just so you can build a comfy garage for each of your Jeep babaies 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Platinum Member
1 hour ago, spookie the aardvark said:

Now that is what I call Jeep dedication frosty - moving house just so you can build a comfy garage for each of your Jeep babaies 🤣🤣🤣🤣

thanks, but my wife doesn't totally agree with my logic, that i need a 3 car garage for my 3 toys, and her ford and jeep have to live under the car port.😂🤣😅

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
1 minute ago, frosty said:

thanks, but my wife doesn't totally agree with my logic, that i need a 3 car garage for my 3 toys, and her ford and jeep have to live under the car port.😂🤣😅

OMG ......... 4 JEEPS ................... AND A FORD???????????????????????😲🤯🤯 Your wife might not see your logic but i do your Jeep babies have to warm and comfy and safe👍🤩

What Jeep has your wife got? We may have to start another thread with members voting whether or not you have to build a 4 car garage.

The ford can sit in a corner and rust - what they do best - unless it's a f250 or f350 🤔🤣🤣🤣

• Platinum Member

just 3 jeeps, TJ for my wife, JK for me, WJ for both of us, i have an F type as my main toy, and my wife has a Ford Fiesta Active. 

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
1 hour ago, frosty said:

just 3 jeeps, TJ for my wife, JK for me, WJ for both of us, i have an F type as my main toy, and my wife has a Ford Fiesta Active. 

Ahhhhhhhhh that explains it 😂😂 The F type needs shelter 😂 but a Ford Fiesta??????? 🤔

• Platinum Member

No pics for the transfer case fill..... It was too simple. Even for an inept ape like me 😂🤣

The NV247 has 2 plugs one fill plug and one drain plug. You can't miss them on the back of the case. They both take a 10mm Allen head socket, yes its an American Car but seriously only use a 10mm Allen Key on them. 

Make sure before undoing the drain plug you are able to get the fill plug out. If you drain it down and cannot get the fill plug undone you are in some trouble. Get the oil warmed up by taking a little drive, maybe a few figure 8's then drain it down. My oil came out dark coffee colour and quite thin, possibly due to being warmed up. The oil that went back in was the genuine MOPAR oil for the NV247. Sourced off Ebay from Jeep Spares. It is a very thick oil, and clear in colour. It reminded me of sugar syrup when making boiled sweets, that sort of consistency. Just under 1.8ltrs is all it takes.

Unfortunately it's not solved my problem. I also made sure the ATF in the gearbox was at the correct levels and it was. So now it's onto the diffs and changing all those oils out. That however, can wait until after this second lockdown. 

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

😮😭

V Thanks for the information. Reading that is quite scary actually. I think think the front is binding hence why I was about to change all of the front and rear diff oils. I was going to re-new and make sure that the LS additive was in there. Now reading that it sounds like it could be a possible coupler failure in the Transfer box. Here we go again........ Taking the front prop off will show whats wrong i guess. Nice weekend job coming up. Thanks again V 

• Platinum Member

Checking a used WG for a missing front propshaft is usually a good sign of damage that has already occurred.

Checking a used WG for different make/model tyres front to rear and or different tread depths front to rear is usually a good sign of potential damage.

The 247 needs an owner that is meticulous on tyre pressures, tyre rotation and can also afford to replace all of the tyres at the same time. Sadly, not that many first owners read the Owners Handbook or just ignored it.

I briefly owned a V8 and it took me a long time to find a good one with full history and less than three owners. I think two that I went to see in 2006-2007 had missing front propshafts, the sellers both claimed they were unaware. I got to see a pattern that maintenance just wasn't being done by third owners, but then I wasn't shopping in the top price bracket. It is so long ago that all of those bad ones have most likely been scrapped and those that remain now are the really good ones that I couldn't afford.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

The 247's fluid requirements have confused many people over the years.  In fact, they even confused Jeep to begin with - early WJs had the wrong fluid from the factory and had to be recalled.

I have a vague recollection that it took some time for the new fluid to work its way entirely through the system.  Unless you were 100% confident the old fluid was correct, if the problem is relatively minor I'm tempted to suggest it might be worth putting a few miles on it before pulling everything apart again.

• Platinum Member

V - Thanks for that. I am the second owner of this GC. I bought it with less than 50k miles on the clock back in 2014. I have just got 62k miles on it. The car was supposedly fully serviced from Jeep when i bought it. I purchased it from Jeep actually. But by the looks of what Alex has just said that dont mean anything. I have kept up with the maintenance of the oils and fluids. But I was never aware of the issues with the Transfer Box. Its just something that I suppose has gotten worse over the past 12months. 

I have just emailed Midwest Transmissions actually to see if there is a definitive way I can tell if its a transfer problem. I am thinking front prop off would show it???? I'll then have to work out if it is the 247 whether it is worth re-building by shipping parts (possibly new TC) or whether its scrapped. I know i could run it as a rear wheel drive only car and ignore the issue, but that's not me and i don't see the point of that to be fair. 

Again guys thanks for the information. I just now need to find a way to tell this to the wife........ 🙄

• Platinum Member

In the USA the 247 is often replaced with a 242 particularly amongst off roaders. The 242 has full-time 4wd and operates like a centre differential without a viscous coupling. The US models did have a 242 option which makes it easier to do the swap over there. I have no idea if it made it's way to EU models, perhaps it did and they gave it some fancy name that just didn't register with me. Those WG that I have looked at to buy all had the viscous coupling. The best donor source for 242 in the UK is probably a petrol XJ or ZJ. UK diesel XJs and ZJs had NP231 (2wd on the street).

When comparing prices for your options for a case from the USA, find out the price for a 2-speed Atlas transfer case new, or used if you can find one. Use that as your upper price barrier. The Atlas will be 2wd on the road, but it represents the price you would have to pay for the strongest transfer case you can buy which should put the other prices into perspective.

• Like 2

• Platinum Member

Some KJ 'Liberty' also had 242 transfer case which may well be the most common source for a donor in the UK.

Edited by V

• Platinum Member

V - You arer not making this easy for me at all 🤣

So not only do I now need to think about the possibility of just rebuilding with a progressive coupler £450 shipped from RockAuto I need to consider a Transfer Case swap..... I am guessing that if i went down that route though I would also need to look at swapping prop shafts as well as drive shafts to fully remove the Qudaradrive components from the car? 

This is such a headache.

• Platinum Member

Don't rush into it. Take your time and think about all the options and what you want the Jeep for. Your Jeep can still be used in 2wd with the front propshaft removed.

There are always extra things to consider when swapping transfer cases like shift lever bezels, shift linkages, shift indicator light control. The WJ model range did have a 242 option so used parts should still be available. For an offroader, the 242 is more reliable than a 247 but I think they were only originally supplied behind a 4.0L in Jeeps. The XJ community has seen 242's used behind 4.7L-5.0L i6 strokers, GM LS1 V8 and Toyota 1UZ-FE V8.

Novak guide to the 242

The 242 is not as strong as a 241OR from a JK Rubicon, and on paper the stated torque is lower than a 231. However, most of us that use them believe that it's low official rating is for the torque splitting differential in fulltime mode. In part-time high or low the diff is locked and it behaves just like a 231 with the similar shaft and planetary gears. My NV242 with Tom Woods SYE has been very reliable considering where it has been driven.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
50 minutes ago, V said:

I think they were only originally supplied behind a 4.0L in Jeeps

242HD cases were supplied with some WJ V8s but probably not going to find one in the UK.

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
13 minutes ago, TazMann said:

Just watching some of the videos in the information you posted. My head hurts LOL 

See Taz this is wahat happens when your baby hears your not going to give her any more new toys - dummy well and truely spat out of pram 🤣🤣🤣

Let this be a lesson to all WG owners - give your baby new toys regularly - or watch out 🤣🤣🤣

• Platinum Member

It's just nuts and bolts and a few special tools. Take your time, watch it a few times, absorb it. If you do decide to do the swap, or the 247 repair, at least you will know in detail what work was done if you decide to pay someone to do it for you.

Did you notice that the guy in the video already has a working 247 in his Jeep and he has acquired both a 242 and a spare 247 to do his swap. He built a ready to swap 242 without having to break his current running setup. This means he can swap back if there is any problem missed like propshaft length.

• Platinum Member
3 minutes ago, spookie the aardvark said:

See Taz this is wahat happens when your baby hears your not going to give her any more new toys - dummy well and truely spat out of pram 🤣🤣🤣

Let this be a lesson to all WG owners - give your baby new toys regularly - or watch out 🤣🤣🤣

Spookie, If i do this fix it will be the last thing it gets EVER!!!!

2 minutes ago, V said:

It's just nuts and bolts and a few special tools. Take your time, watch it a few times, absorb it. If you do decide to do the swap, or the 247 repair, at least you will know in detail what work was done if you decide to pay someone to do it for you.

Did you notice that the guy in the video already has a working 247 in his Jeep and he has acquired both a 242 and a spare 247 to do his swap. He built a ready to swap 242 without having to break his current running setup. This means he can swap back if there is any problem missed like propshaft length.

V I am thinking of doing a rebuild on a knackered one i must admit., Like you say going to watch it a few times then price everything up and see how things stack up. 

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

I don't know what noise you are hearing that is causing concern with your transfer case, but I am wondering if it could be the CV joint on the front shaft. Unfortunately, removing the propshaft will not be conclusive, only replacing it will. Perhaps a friend with the same model Jeep can lend you their front propshaft for a few minutes to try.

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
9 minutes ago, TazMann said:

Spookie, If i do this fix it will be the last thing it gets EVER!!!!

V I am thinking of doing a rebuild on a knackered one i must admit., Like you say going to watch it a few times then price everything up and see how things stack up. 

OMG Taz - you cant say that, your baby will hear you and her wheels will all fall off at the same time 💩🤔😲🤯🤣

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

V thanks for all the great info, now you have me wondering which one i have on mine, 2002 4.7 V8 HO. Soon as I get time I will get under it and have a look, didnt know there were so many different types 👍👍👍👍