Grand Cherokee WJ - Build

TazMann

• Platinum Member
9 hours ago, Fourpot said:

Love how well the winch is hidden away...

I love the way the winch is hidden as well. So glad I swapped from the big and bulky winch bumper to this. Its easy to operate, just have to remove the grille to have access to the clutch or use the electric controls. Its simple. 

• Platinum Member

Well the work is ongoing...... For a 15yr old car i haven't had to deal with any rot, until now 😔  

I decided it was time to change the rather expensive Fuel Filter on the WJ so I did a little research and discovered that the £50 filter also acts as the fuel pressure regulator. Even more reason to change it out. I have had the car since 2014 and it hasn't been change since i bought it. Due to the cost thought i'd crawl underneath and make sure I was looking at the right thing and getting the right part. 

That's when i spotted it......... Rust 😲

A little digging around and it turns out its the EVAP canister bracket that is  located behind the passenger rear wheel. Great, just bolts out. Whats not so great is that it is a MOPAR only part and in this country will cost over £200....... 😳

Luckily Rock Auto has saved the day and I now have a FRAM fuel filter and the bracket on the way for less than it would have cost in this country. We really do need to strike a deal with the USA so we can get stuff even cheaper........

Anyway when it all arrives i'll post up the pics of it all fitted. For now the pics of the rot will have to suffice.

1.jpg

• Platinum Member

Those mud flaps are brilliant. 

Updated on parts, the Fuel filter made it from Avon in Massachusetts to Kidderminster UK in 3 Days. Picked up on Monday and is now waiting delivery. That's pretty quick, I did prepay all the tax and import duties though..... 

The bracket was ordered yesterday (i did see if i could find a good nick 2nd hand one) So lets see how quickly that gets here 🤓

• Platinum Member

Fuel filter from USA to my door in 3 full days! Cant get better than that! 

• Platinum Member

Well the fuel filter was installed in 30mins. Tricky to get to on the WJ on the road but simple push fit connectors. I must admit she performs a little better again now 🙂 I'll get more photos of the EVAP bracket when i do that. 

I regard to the EVAP bracket. Ordered on Wednesday from USA and was in Kidderminster on Saturday morning. Not bad at all. 

• Platinum Member

So the Bracket that was ordered on Wednesday will be delivered to me today (Monday) That's quicker shipping from the US than it is within the UK. 

I did notice yesterday when i had to pop out that the new fuel filter is making a bit of a noise...... Now is it the fuel filter or is new new filter showing that my fuel pump is on its last legs???? To be honest, it will be one of those situations that will be drive it till it stops. If its the pump it means dropping the whole tank to change it 😳 Love the Jeep, best car i have ever owned, but seriously why did they not put an inspection/maintenance hatch for the fuel pump????? 

Edited by TazMann

• 2 months later...
  • Platinum Member

With the weather being gorgeous over the weekend i decided that Saturday was the day to strip the rear end down and fit the new EVAP canister bracket and also fit the Tow Bar I purchased last year. 

Th EVAP Bracket basically fell apart as I tried to remove it so good job it was being replaced sooner rather than later. Not a hard job at all. The hardest part really was taking the bumper shell off. 

Onto the tow bar. I spent a few hours breaking the tow bar down into three parts so it would be easier on my own to install. Everyone know what crusty bolts are like to get undone and cleaned up 😠 Managed to install it and then checked the Tow Ball height. 24inches....... oops that's a bit high. Its a removable Swan Neck bar so can't even lower it with plates. Oh well off it all came before i cut the bumper shell. 

So having spent the weekend trying to figure stuff out I have now ordered a proper US spec 2inch receiver hitch from RockAuto. Not strictly UK legal, but I cannot get anything in this country that will work for the car. Checked the Insurance and they are ok with it. Its a curt direct fit so should all be good. Again we follow silly EU laws that screw us over all the time. 

All being well be here next week and I can load up the trailer and go and find a field to hide in with Mrs TazMann and the dogs for a few days. 

Sorry no photos of the work as it was just too hot. 

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

RockAuto never ceases to amaze me. Pay for shipping and import charges and set a date, and they always deliver early. Should have all the bumper stuff by Monday. Nice new Curt 2inch receiver and a 4inch drop mount on its way. Perfect.

• Platinum Member

PDB There is no way that the US hitch is inferior to the EU towbar. They can tow more and have greater nose loadings on them. Like you say, the EU Cartel quashed all foreign competition, hence why its so difficult for me to find a EU approved tow bar for my US vehicle LOL. I hope common sense returns soon, its needed again. 

All being well i'll be getting away soon. Just need to get this little lot fitted and then find a trailer for my camp gear. Have a big car but there are also two huskies in the boot so the trailer is a must 🤣

• Platinum Member

I'll have to have a good look at those. Seem really good. Like you say basic and add to it as you go 👍

• Platinum Member

So the Towbar arrived this morning all the way from the US of A. Only ordered it on Monday. Fedex are pretty quick, however....... The additional items have gone missing during their voyage. So the Hitch Pin and the drop hitch have gone AWOL 🤬 RockAuto have all the information and have said they will resend. Hopefully I'll get them next week now, unless they go missing again. 

So 30mins under the WJ and the new towbar is fitted and looks great. It wasn't package very well so there are a few bumps and knocks on it, but to be honest, a day out on the lanes etc and it will probably have a lot more chips on it. 

I have 13pin electrics on the way to fit myself from PF Jones. As the local fitter wanted £250 for the privilege which i think is astronomical. Besides i can actually scotchlock them in then solder all the connections myself for a better job once its all confirmed as working 🙂 Hopefully the fancy box of tricks will make sure there are no system issues with the Jeep. Also have the threaded 50mm ball on its way. 

So not quite ready for the camping trip, but hopefully it will all be done ready for September and a few days away. Fingers crossed. 

Also added the photo of the new EVAP bracket. No more rusty bits on the Jeep. Rusty bits are for Landies 🤣

IMG_20200814_112955.jpg

IMG_20200814_113000.jpg

IMG_20200814_113038.jpg

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

Looks really and a lot better than stuff you have to buy over here. So is it ok to use that sort of tow hitch over here? I have been looking for one for my WG but they all look so flimsy, and I like the idea of being able to take the ball off and fit something else if needed.👏👏🤠🤠

• Platinum Member

It will offer a little more protection to the bumper on any drop offs, just dont want to damage it now as i think the wife would kill me. I'll have to be careful with it LOL I also like the fact it gives more rear end protection to the whole of the car. There isn't anything really apart from the bumper cover and then straight into the fuel tank 🤨 So this gives me more protection. 

Spooky, This type of tow hitch effectively was written out of use by the EU bureaucrats who wanted a European monopoly.  However, after not being able to find anything that would work on a lifted Jeep i have said sod it. No one has ever said they are not as strong or they are dangerous etc. In fact i'd go as far as to say they are stringer and safer. So I am going this route and dont care. Insurance have been informed and they are ok as well. Told them it was a US spec hitch. So its all down to you. I know a few people that use them. 

• Platinum Member

Yes the type approval was bought in my the EU, effectively wiping out any world wide competition. You don't see any manufacturers of towbars from many places except the EU now. This is a class 3 hitch so 5000 lbs. I cont tow that on my silly licences anyway. I am maxed out at 3,500kgs for the Gross train weight and i can't be bothered to have to take another licence.

I believe there are hitches that have been type approved for use on LandRover. I certainly know the Army use them. 

• Platinum Member

I doubt the police will take any notice to be fair. There are too many Landies driving around with a hitch so whats the difference. Its illegal for anyone other than the military to use a pintle hitch, but people still do. 

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
On 15/08/2020 at 09:02, TazMann said:

It will offer a little more protection to the bumper on any drop offs, just dont want to damage it now as i think the wife would kill me. I'll have to be careful with it LOL I also like the fact it gives more rear end protection to the whole of the car. There isn't anything really apart from the bumper cover and then straight into the fuel tank 🤨 So this gives me more protection. 

Spooky, This type of tow hitch effectively was written out of use by the EU bureaucrats who wanted a European monopoly.  However, after not being able to find anything that would work on a lifted Jeep i have said sod it. No one has ever said they are not as strong or they are dangerous etc. In fact i'd go as far as to say they are stringer and safer. So I am going this route and dont care. Insurance have been informed and they are ok as well. Told them it was a US spec hitch. So its all down to you. I know a few people that use them. 

Thanks for all the info, think that will be the rote I go ............. sod what EU says, besides we told them to poke it. Interestingly saw lots of new jeeps this weekend fitted with that type of tow hitch. I am guessing as standard then sold over here, which kind of makes you wonder about the sense of the whole thing. I think you maybe right about EU trying to gain a monopoly, or just getting a sad on for anything coming from America.

• Platinum Member

I have seen Wrangler JK and JL's with a US spec hitch as well. Funny when you do a search that a EU spec towball also comes up...... I agree, just do it 👍 And as you said as of December 2020 we should be clear to import more stuff from the US, including fingers crossed US spec Jeeps...... I hope........

• Platinum Member

i have had one on my JK for 13 years, i tow trailers and my caravan with it, never had any problems at all with it, or the police. also when off roading i put a recovery point into it, which works very well, as it is in the center of the jeep, you can just see it in the attached picture. 

IMG_0075.JPG

• Platinum Member

Frosty, I'll be getting the same thing to fit mine for offroad use. The recovery point it gives is really useful. Glad to hear of another person using the hitch with no issues from the Police 🙂

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

Thanks for all the help and advice guys, it is as always very much appreciated. Just to make things a bit more interesting I am now thinking about fitting one to both front and rear, if for no other reason, to give me good recovery points without having to change both bumpers of repensive metal ones. had a look on RockAuto and they have a very impressive range too choose from. I take it the Curt Class III 2 in. Receiver Hitch is more than exceptable? Only thing I am not sure of is what size ball we use over here 😳

Also thinking about doing a 2 inch lift to my WG after Slindon, where it completly impressed me even though it was stock. Slindon has now made me want to spend some money 🤑🤑🤑🤑🤢🤮

Again thanks for all the advice and any extra advice always greatfully received and huge apologies for kinda hijacking the original thread 😇😳😇😳😇😳😇😳

• Platinum Member
16 hours ago, spookie the aardvark said:

Thanks for all the help and advice guys, it is as always very much appreciated. Just to make things a bit more interesting I am now thinking about fitting one to both front and rear, if for no other reason, to give me good recovery points without having to change both bumpers of repensive metal ones. had a look on RockAuto and they have a very impressive range too choose from. I take it the Curt Class III 2 in. Receiver Hitch is more than exceptable? Only thing I am not sure of is what size ball we use over here 😳

Also thinking about doing a 2 inch lift to my WG after Slindon, where it completly impressed me even though it was stock. Slindon has now made me want to spend some money 🤑🤑🤑🤑🤢🤮

Again thanks for all the advice and any extra advice always greatfully received and huge apologies for kinda hijacking the original thread 😇😳😇😳😇😳😇😳

Spookie, WG/WJ both the same LOL I can't remember which way around it was but one is Euro and one is US specification. 

I did the Trailmaster 2inch lift from Jeepey, it transformed the ride of my Jeep, however i did also add the wheel spacers, I think that helped. The lift side of things one these all depends on the driveshafts you have on the GC. I have Cardon on the rear and CV on the front. However that will be sorted soon. Going over 2inches with a CV on the front will cause issues. 

With regard to the Hitch, I have the Curt Class III on mine now. Should satisfy all my needs anyway 5000lb towing capacity. In the UK we use a 50mm towball. these can be found on ebay with the required 1inch threaded stem. I went for a short one. These have a 2000kg towing capacity on them. 

If you need any advice on anything WJ/WG related just shout and i'll gladly help 👍 This is the longest I have ever owned a car. Still not getting rid of it either. Love it far too much 😍

• Platinum Member
Stew the Jeep

WG is European the G stands for Graz in Austria where it was built 

Edited by Stew the Jeep
Spelling

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
11 minutes ago, Stew the Jeep said:

WG is European the G stands for Graz in Austria where it was built 

Cheers for that, I always wondered why there were different letter between European and US made Jeeps - all explained 👍👍👍👍😄😄😄

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
2 hours ago, TazMann said:

Spookie, WG/WJ both the same LOL I can't remember which way around it was but one is Euro and one is US specification. 

I did the Trailmaster 2inch lift from Jeepey, it transformed the ride of my Jeep, however i did also add the wheel spacers, I think that helped. The lift side of things one these all depends on the driveshafts you have on the GC. I have Cardon on the rear and CV on the front. However that will be sorted soon. Going over 2inches with a CV on the front will cause issues. 

With regard to the Hitch, I have the Curt Class III on mine now. Should satisfy all my needs anyway 5000lb towing capacity. In the UK we use a 50mm towball. these can be found on ebay with the required 1inch threaded stem. I went for a short one. These have a 2000kg towing capacity on them. 

If you need any advice on anything WJ/WG related just shout and i'll gladly help 👍 This is the longest I have ever owned a car. Still not getting rid of it either. Love it far too much 😍

Cheers TazMann, think I will go the same route with mine. Dont want to go up to 4 inch lift as it seems loads of other parts have to be changed as well, so at the moment 2 inch will do fine. I was thinking about a Curt Class 111 for both the front and back, allows me to tow if I want or to have good recovery points front and back if I get too stupid off road 🤪🤪🤪 ................ or even fit a snow plough on the front (Rockauto photo) 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I think 50mm equates to 2 inch so I might just order everything from hitch wise from one place. Your a star TazMann, thanks sooooooooooooooooo much I am sure I will be in contact to pick your brains. Like you I love these Jeeps, very capeable without being too complicated. And with mine being the 4.7 H.O it does piss the enviromentalists off - I am devel spawn to them 👹👹🤪🤪🤣🤣

Must admit not sure what drive shafts ect I have on mine, not really looked to be honest, I just know something drives all four wheels 😳😳🤣🤣