Grand Cherokee WJ - Build

TazMann

• Platinum Member

Painted the bumper myself.

I just used a white foam roller as I don't have the tools to spray. The foam rollers worked well and gave it a nice textured finish.  Just make sure you have a load of rollers handy as for some reason the raptor does appear to eat through them very quickly. Got through two just putting that coat on.

• Platinum Member

Woody, all being well the Winch will all be plumbed in this weekend. What i can't wait for is to get to Whitecliff. Gonna have to head out on some lanes before then though! If you fancy a trip around Evesham/Worcestershire let me know. Myst admit though I have never done the Wayfarer, wouldn't mind doing that this year, well if its still open that is.

In other news, just placed my order for my CB. President Grant II being shipped, so all being well that will be connected up next weekend  :icon_e_biggrin:

That will mean the end of my WJ build for now though :oops: What will I do with my spare time then  :scratch:

• Platinum Member

Hi si

yes looking forward to whitecliffe myself, still got bumpers to fit on mine and as you have seen looking into a cb.

Winch has got to wait until later in the year

Now bobs north wales trip is cancelled i can do a lane trip on 23 or 24th april.

Let me know

• Platinum Member

Well made some more progress on the WJ last night.

Got the CB antenna cable run from the rear of the car to the front. Just need to find the courage now to actually drill a 13mm hole in the roof skin  :icon_e_confused: still worried about the dome mount leaking. I guess that is why U-Pol Tiger Seal was invented though  :mdr:

The President Grant II will sit on top of the dash in the recessed area of the WJ. Not many other options, plus it will give me access to the power behind from the cigar lighter or even the 12v aux socket. It will also enable me to remove the unit when I do not need it in the car, keeps the local hoddies light fingers at bay I hope  :diablo:

The winch is fitted, however not wired up. waiting on a remote cut off solenoid from challenger. Went for the Albright kit. Making sure that I do not breach the MSA rules and possibly club insurances etc by having the cut off in the Cab.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

Well all the parts finally showed up this past week so that the winch could finally be wired in fully  :icon_e_biggrin:

So today along with some help from my Father (Electrician) we got the Isolation Solenoid fitted and wired in, and fitted the switch right on the dash to the right of the Ignition. Works perfectly too  :mdr: The Banner battery fitted to the car also has 2 sets of terminals. So the left hand side is now solely for the winch and accessories.

Also finally fully fitted the President Grant II. Been listening out on channel 19 to the locals, however apart from one guy last week, no one else seems to want to talk to a complete stranger. Oh well it was installed for adventures any way LOL

So that's it really. A few final bits to do like the lights on the Winch Bumper but for now I think I am done...... Well there is always some lighting on the roof etc, but the big stuff is done. Really happy with how she looks, just can't wait now to try her out  :icon_bounce:

Anyone know if there is anything happening on Mayday weekend LOL

20160413_170208.thumb.jpg.ad5e8e49a16912ac33cd08ec19ec1691.jpg

20160416_170415.thumb.jpg.e8d3a4d35e7aaf466061261113011bb0.jpg

20160416_170422.thumb.jpg.cc05389db82f58827051602a798cd927.jpg

20160416_170433.thumb.jpg.33e4ad8e5d41eeaf1ec7f243d24496bd.jpg

20160416_171003.thumb.jpg.4fe26f4ab79b82ba9fa1e519a6a779c4.jpg

20160416_171025.thumb.jpg.4b45eac92ae1db29823a023a893892bd.jpg

20160416_171031.thumb.jpg.44abe3a9702ae771aa76fc880c10c99a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

Well I thought the Jeep Build was done. Phase 2 mods are now all lined up.

The first of which will be a full Front runner Slimline II Rack. Going for the one that removes the factory roof rails so I get away from the weight limits of the factory equipment.

Next will be a set of rock sliders and a little underbody protection. Mainly for the transfer box as it is left a little in the open. I am surprised that Jeep never fitted a plate to this as standard though  :scratch:

Is it possible to ever get your Jeep to a point where nothing else is needed..... I'm not sure any more LOL  :rofl:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

Well the Front Runner Slimline II has turned up. What a fantastic piece of kit. Went for the short expedition rails front and rear so that I have an easily accessible central area on the rack when its installed

Just waiting on some confirmation from Front runner themselves on how the tracks are fitted to the vehicle. Andy at Jeepey has been fantastic, I have sent him rather a lot of emails this week.  :great:

I'll get some photos as soon as i can mount everything to the car.  :icon_e_biggrin:

• Platinum Member

The Front Runner rack is now installed. It was a bit of a job to sort it all out and lift it all into place, but its on.

Only problem is that the original CB aerial mount is now covered up  :icon_e_sad: So I have purchased the Front Runner light brackets and will mount a new CB aerial on there. Just hope it all turns up in time for Whitecliff seeing as this was the goal for the CB.

The next batch of Mods are now going to have to wait until the funds have built up again, its surprising how quickly you can burn through your money when you are modifying a Jeep i must admit  :icon_eek: The remaining list is Rock Rails and Transfer Case skid plate, plus some lighting.

20160514_075155.thumb.jpg.51cc5c09f7b933ecc719d8b3d0eab40f.jpg

20160514_075210.thumb.jpg.e68f4e77e614e556fdeae23432d671a5.jpg

20160514_075221.thumb.jpg.e4931b4ee8132c50ca7b805fa0f3bf1a.jpg

20160514_075232.thumb.jpg.9aff45edd1f4ea3e2da07f61fd8ce7df.jpg

20160514_075247.thumb.jpg.b14dcc93f53d36e34358ff5acae1aa3a.jpg

• Platinum Member

Looking good [emoji1303][emoji1303]. Yeh your right with modifying, you can soon spend plenty of cash [emoji38][emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Platinum Member

Looks like you have overland rock rails, they aren't too bad for protecting cill's

Over lands came, with steering, tank and transfer case guards, look for one in a breakers  :great:

• Platinum Member

DarrenR thanks for the heads up. I will look into that. Also i had no idea that they were Overland Rock Rails, i thought that was standard  :rofl: Thanks for the heads up  :great:

• Platinum Member

So last night I managed to install the new aerial mount on the front runner rack. I purchased the 2 Light Mounts they do as they said they could also be utilised for aerials.

So fixed it all up checked I had electrical connectivity to the body, amazingly i did even though its all powder coated. I put a Sirio PL mount up there this time as I also ordered a Sirio 3000PL for USB stuff. Fancy seeing just who I can talk to around the country possibly world???

SWRs have come in 1.4 to 1.6 on both the mini springer and the Sirio so i am happy with that.

Looking forward to the chatter at Whitecliff now  :icon_e_biggrin:

20160518_104331.thumb.jpg.f491d86049a6ac7b32f07cb2e78f2ec2.jpg

20160518_104338.thumb.jpg.2241028c14267aef8eff747cca77fd73.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

Looks like its the week of lighting here on the forum  :mdr:

Well i have had some new deliveries this week. A nice 42inch LED Light Bar and a couple of 4inch LED Spotlights. I say a couple, i actually ordered 4 from supplier on Ebay and they have only delivered 2..... Now having to fight with them as they are saying they sent 4. Thats going to go to a full blown Ebay dispute as they refuse to believe only two were delivered. I am an honest person if i had got the 4 i would have been happy  :grrrrrr:

Anyway, still waiting for the switches to arrive before i can plumb this lot in. Hopefully the postman will have a few more packages today so that i can have a go at sorting it all out  :icon_e_biggrin:

20160527_081056.thumb.jpg.5b87b050c3712777b3863baed574e68d.jpg

• Platinum Member

Jeep is looking awesome mate. Those lights should really suit it. I'm following this thread with envy as I wish I could do it to mine too!  :icon_e_sad:

• Platinum Member

Roger, Thanks for the kind comments. I was like that until I actually started, now I cant seem to stop finding things to do :oops:

The lights are now fitted, well all except the final 2 spots, they should be delivered tomorrow now that the company know i was telling the truth. They are saying the courier must have half hinched them  :gasp: Anyway at least the 4 will be up and running.

I have the wiring to do at the moment, got to fit the relays and the switches in the cab before going any further.

I did want the light bar hung below the rack, however there wasn't enough room to fit it. So had to swap it around and to be honest i don't think it looks to bad.

20160527_151523.thumb.jpg.be1c3fc045a520036b17c07f4454453c.jpg

• Platinum Member
woody-Jeep

Someones been a busy man again...... nice one Si looking good  :glasses:

i can feel a night lane trip coming on  :na:

• Platinum Member

Rob, the lights are pretty good to be honest. Not wired in yet, but for what i paid on Ebay so far i am pretty impressed.

A night laning session eh? Well i spotted a couple of light bars on your's Woody, so i think between us we should be able to light the way LOL

Just hope my alternator is up to all of the extras i am fitting  :scratch: Think i need to check that out  :oops: Well so long as they aren't on constantly i should be ok, right?

• Platinum Member

OK so the last two LED Spotlights turned up. Was a 5 minute job to fit them as all the brackets were already in place. Think I have enough light now  :gasp:

Just got the wiring to do still. Waiting on a final switch as i am splitting the LED Spots up. The two outer ones as driving lights and the two inner as Off Road lights on the switches. The Led light bar will also be separate and i am relocating the winch power switch.

I custom made a stainless steel sheet to fit into the cup holder section of the transmission tunnel that will hold the switch bank after not being able to find a pillar pod or anything for the WJ.

More photos when its all plumbed in and working.

also now have to replace the AC compressor  :grrrrrr: Looks like Whitecliff took its toll. I think the freespool bearings are shot and once the engine gets warm (which it does now) it starts to seize up causing an horrific squealing sound. Not good on a Jeep, probably acceptable on a Land Rover though  :rofl:

So now waiting on a few prices for that. If its too expensive though it will simply be removed and thrown away. Just replace the belt with a shorter one and bypass it.

20160530_100606.thumb.jpg.ef218c63385baafd2e40f29bda60f2f3.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

Not updated this for a while. The AC compressor appears to be fine. The noise was the Power Steering Pump  :gasp: Just waiting for one to be delivered from Jeepey. That will explain all the heating issues too as its the PS pump that drives my hydraulic engine fan. Whos crazy idea was that then  :grrrrrr:

The lights still aren't wired up, the recent weather has slowed work on those, but hopefully this weekend it will be done.

So for the past 3 weeks the car has been off the road  :icon_cry: Just want to be able to drive it again.