Slindon 4x4 - Saturday 1st April 2023

Volant165

• Platinum Member
2 hours ago, digger said:

Another old method with an open diff is to yank the handbrake on and off in order to gain traction by slowing the spinning wheel where grip is zero so as to try and transfer  load to the other.

In the some classes of competitive 4x4 motorsport, independent left and right handbrakes (fiddle brakes) are permitted for this purpose and combined skid/power turns.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
On 01/04/2023 at 21:59, eastbournesmiths said:

And some more

20230401115016_IMG_0511.JPG

20230401115224_IMG_0513.JPG

20230401115402_IMG_0515.JPG

20230401115509_IMG_0516.JPG

20230401115847_IMG_0522.JPG

Love the picture of my Duncan Duck 🥰🥰🥰IMG_3965.thumb.jpeg.846d192e829c376fca381900950156ca.jpeg

• Like 3

• Platinum Member

Thank you Lou, Brad and everyone else for a great day, I loved the Easter Egg hunt, that was great fun and completely different. Great fun all round seeing old friends and making new ones 😊😊😊

those chocolate brownies were gorgeous 😊

• Like 3

• Platinum Member
2 hours ago, V said:

In the some classes of competitive 4x4 motorsport, independent left and right handbrakes (fiddle brakes) are permitted for this purpose and combined skid/power turns.

Spot on. I'd forgotten about them -  'Sporting trials cars'' Something I considered before I bought the YJ!

On 02/04/2023 at 08:08, slammedeluxe said:

74F96A1D-0445-4BC4-92D7-DE11E0129A56.jpeg

Lots of brilliant pictures shared from Sunday.  But for me this is the absolute best.  I can just see it on a Jeep Owners Club calendar.  Fantastic shot.

• Like 3

• Platinum Member
eastbournesmiths
On 03/04/2023 at 22:41, V said:

I snapped my very first set of cheap tubular swaybar disconnects driving off road with them still connected. I replaced them with JKS Quicker Disconnects. The next time I forgot to disconnect, I bent the swaybar axle brackets. I usually disconnect at off-road sites and when green laning. Last year I thought I could get away with staying connected green laning with long tarmac road sections but I wallowed out the main bushings on the swaybar and had to replace them when I got home. Manual disconnects are a bit of a chore but they don't take long to do when you get used to them.

I couldn't face laying down in the liquid mud to undo mine on Saturday so just avoided routes requiring lots of axle articulation. Fortunately they seem OK after the event with no damage done.

• Platinum Member
1 hour ago, eastbournesmiths said:

I couldn't face laying down in the liquid mud to undo mine on Saturday

I keep a small cheap (pound shop) plastic tarp on standby to go on the ground on the muddy days. On top of that I use the thick vinyl load bay cover one of my Cherokees had from new. I used it once in an emergency and it's been my preferred ground mat for working under the Jeep for many years. It doesn't eliminate the pain of sharp stones on my knees when kneeling but it softens it enough to be bearable. It's been my ground mat for so long that I forgot what it's original purpose was.

• Like 1