Slindon 4x4 - Saturday 1st April 2023

Volant165

• Platinum Member

Slindon 4x4 Saturday 1st April 2023

We are excited to announce we will be returning to the popular Slindon 4x4 off-road site with hire exclusively for Jeep Owners Club members on Saturday 1st April 2023. 

This will be a family fun event with our famous Easter egg hunt. It’s the only one in the UK where you need a Jeep to find them all & there will be prizes for everyone who takes part!

Also new for 2023 at Slindon is the “extreme test track” … a fun & fab way to put your Jeep to the test ... if you'd like to give it a whirl. 

Schedule

Date: Saturday 1st April 2023

Arrival & check in: 9:30am

Briefing: 10am

Lunch: 12:30pm

Site closes: 4:00pm

Tickets & Pricing

VIP Members: £30. Booking opens 20th January 2023
Gold Members: £35. Booking opens 25th January 2023
Silver Members: £40. Booking opens 30th January 2023

Please visit the club shop to purchase your ticket & secure your spot.

Price is per vehicle & includes passengers.

You must be a member of the club (easy to join).

Spectators welcome, only JOC members permitted to drive.

Vehicle requirements

Road legal Jeeps only please!

All vehicles must have valid insurance and a valid MOT if applicable. All drivers must hold a full driving licence.
Please ensure your Jeep has suitable recovery points. A TOW BALL IS NOT A SAFE RECOVERY POINT!

If you bring a Jeep on a trailer please bring proof of insurance and an MOT certificate if required for the Jeep. It will be at the discretion of the Jeep Owners Club whether to allow Jeeps arriving on trailers to be used at events.

Vehicle recommendations

Mud or all terrain tires

Please be aware

It is the responsibility of the driver of the vehicle to decide if their Jeep is capable of dealing with the water, mud etc. The JOC team will do our best to ensure nobody gets stuck, but we can only do so much.

Facilities

Caterer onsite with tea, coffee, burgers and baps available to purchase.

There is a chemical Portaloo on site. I am assured it will be clean. If not, please inform one of the JOC team immediately

Pets

Pets allowed to be brought if you would like. If you let them out of the vehicle they must be on a lead / restrained at all times. Any mess they leave must be cleared up and removed from the site for disposal. NO EXCEPTIONS. These are requests from the site owners. Failure to adhere to this polite request will result in you being ejected from the site immediately.

Slindon Safari 4x4 Driving Centre

Shellbridge Road

Arundel

BN18 0NB

Co-ordinates

50.860468, -0.619861

Directions

Situated on north side of A27 between Arundel and Fontwell West Sussex

Nearly opposite Stakis Hotel turning

Important Information

LPG vehicles are permitted to use the site. Any tanks that are mounted externally must be protected from being damaged and potential leakage. Failure to comply will result in the vehicle not being able to go off roading at the site. Any internally mounted tank must be always secure. This is a condition of LPG vehicles using the site by the owners

ANY complaints that you may have during the day we would kindly ask that you tell us while at the event so that they can be dealt with.

Book tickets here - 

Team/ Leaders:

Brad

Mrs Volant (Lou)

Look forward to seeing you all soon!

Mrs Volant & Team JOC

Between the rows SC21.jpg

• Like 5

• Platinum Member

Looking forward to taking my Rubicon around this site. It is my favourite. However the extreme axle twister may be too much for my stock Wrangler. I'll attempt but may not finish it

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Platinum Member
18 hours ago, Raakhee said:

Looking forward to taking my Rubicon around this site. It is my favourite. However the extreme axle twister may be too much for my stock Wrangler. I'll attempt but may not finish it

I am sure you will fly past it 🙂

I know I have managed this before, but can't see how I can book a place on the Slindon event but pay by bank transfer - I refuse to use PayPal due to previous issues with them.  Can anyone advise?

• Platinum Member
11 hours ago, MGomes said:

I am sure you will fly past it 🙂

Clearance issue. You may wanna review the video again on the Slindon 4v4 Instagram. Don't fancy ripping that rubbish placement for a licence plate off.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, UKTJ said:

I know I have managed this before, but can't see how I can book a place on the Slindon event but pay by bank transfer - I refuse to use PayPal due to previous issues with them.  Can anyone advise?

It seems that for membership payments it is possible to tick a box for payment by BACS transfer, but this is not an option for the Slindon event as the box to select BACS transfer does not appear on the checkout screen.  I think it is possible to do it that way as I have paid for previous JOC events by BACS transfer.  Is it possible to enable that box for booking Slindon places?  If not, can somebody add me to the list and I will just make the BACS transfer anyway?

If this can be done it would be helpful to enable this for merchandise purchases, then I can buy my JOC windscreen sticker 😃

Edited by UKTJ

• Platinum Member
2 hours ago, UKTJ said:

It seems that for membership payments it is possible to tick a box for payment by BACS transfer, but this is not an option for the Slindon event as the box to select BACS transfer does not appear on the checkout screen.  I think it is possible to do it that way as I have paid for previous JOC events by BACS transfer.  Is it possible to enable that box for booking Slindon places?  If not, can somebody add me to the list and I will just make the BACS transfer anyway?

If this can be done it would be helpful to enable this for merchandise purchases, then I can buy my JOC windscreen sticker 😃

Thank you for your message re: bank transfer payments.

Prior to Jim's (Mr Volant's) passing he was in the process of phasing out bank transfer payments as less than 1% of our sales are made this way and, often these were missed which has caused issues previously. 

Following his death in November I am now running the JOC & my own businesses so life is rather hectic & I therefore need to continue this transition. 

We do take payment via credit or debit card using PayPal as our appointed merchant. 

PayPal or debit/ credit card payment methods ensure all purchases are known therefore allowing ticket & merchandise sales to be allocated & dispatched promptly. 

Kind regards, 

Mrs Volant (Lou)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Volant165 said:

Thank you for your message re: bank transfer payments.

Prior to Jim's (Mr Volant's) passing he was in the process of phasing out bank transfer payments as less than 1% of our sales are made this way and, often these were missed which has caused issues previously. 

Following his death in November I am now running the JOC & my own businesses so life is rather hectic & I therefore need to continue this transition. 

We do take payment via credit or debit card using PayPal as our appointed merchant. 

PayPal or debit/ credit card payment methods ensure all purchases are known therefore allowing ticket & merchandise sales to be allocated & dispatched promptly. 

Kind regards, 

Mrs Volant (Lou)

Many thanks for the reply explaining the situation.  I'll look into what the credit card payment via PayPal involves.  I completely understand you have a lot on and need to organise the way JOC works to make the workload managble.  However, having previously had a serious issue with PayPal, frankly, I just do not trust them.  I will take a look to see what their role in the credit card payment process is and make a call on whether I am willing to use them.  If not then I guess it will mean no more JOC events for me 😪

Just to add to the above for clarity. When using PayPal for card purchases from our store, you do NOT need to have a PayPal account in order to do so.

If you have an account with them it will work as with all your normal PayPal transactions.

For us they are also our designated card merchant. It acts exactly the same as if you were to use a debit/credit card on any other website with merchants like Worldpay or Visa. 

• Platinum Member

Hi Uktj, 

I understand how you feel , I have had problems with financial organisations too. However its all part of the 'big company ' issue that I have ( I don't trust any of them!), even though i accept there are some good points about them.

Having said that, how long ago did you have an issue with Paypal. I think there were some issues in the early days! I know quite a bit about Paypal (ask when you see me why). I have been using PayPal for some years now without any issue whatsoever. I believe it is far more secure than just a credit card because you have in effect 2 'layers' of security.   Indeed I had a dispute with a supplier in USA a couple of years ago when I received poor quality parts. Paypal refunded me asap  and I didn't have to send the parts back either so they went in the bin. 

It would be a gr8 shame if you gave up with JOC events over this. I have been on many committees etc throughout my life. Trust me,as you know,  it is a lot of hard work( that's why I can't do any more!). Our committee do a gr8 job and any thing that reduces their workload must be good.

Edited by digger
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, digger said:

Hi Uktj, 

I understand how you feel , I have had problems with financial organisations too. However its all part of the 'big company ' issue that I have ( I don't trust any of them!), even though i accept there are some good points about them.

Having said that, how long ago did you have an issue with Paypal. I think there were some issues in the early days! I know quite a bit about Paypal (ask when you see me why). I have been using PayPal for some years now without any issue whatsoever. I believe it is far more secure than just a credit card because you have in effect 2 'layers' of security.   Indeed I had a dispute with a supplier in USA a couple of years ago when I received poor quality parts. Paypal refunded me asap  and I didn't have to send the parts back either so they went in the bin. 

It would be a gr8 shame if you gave up with JOC events over this. I have been on many committees etc throughout my life. Trust me,as you know,  it is a lot of hard work( that's why I can't do any more!). Our committee do a gr8 job and any thing that reduces their workload must be good.

Hi @digger

That is a usefil perspective, thanks for that.  In case there is any misunderstanding I have absolutely no issue whatsoever with the JOC team or their decision to use PayPal, I completely understand the effort they put in and why they would want to find ways to make things work efficiently.  It is a me issue, due to bitter past experience.

I have come up with a cunning plan which I think will solve my issue.  If I take out another credit card with a very low limit set just above the JOC Summer Camp cost, I can use that card on PayPal and if there is another issue with PayPal the potential financial loss is very limited.

As an aside it may be worth people knowing of a particular downside of having a PayPal account when buying from sellers using them as a credit card processor.  If you have a PayPal account open and then make a credit card purchase of between £100 and £30,000 using PayPal as the processor, you lose your Section 75 protection (this is what lets you claim from your credit card company if there is a problem with the seller).  Even if you have a PayPal account but it is not open at the time you use them to process a qualifying payment it is apparently a grey area legally as to whether you have lost Section 75 protection. In this respect @Brad H is not strictly correct when he says PayPal processing is exactly the same as WorldPay or Visa, as with the latter two there is no equivalent risk of losing Section 75 protection.  But of course that is not relavent to JOC, but I mention it in case other members were not aware of this.

• Platinum Member

I fully understand your 'me issue'. i have the same with  a number of big boys including  'American Express' and 'Land Rover'

I know you strongly support the club. I did not think otherwise!

I like your cunning plan. It annoys me that they keep 'cranking up' the limit when one hasn't asked for it, so watch that!  Having said that I had a Mastercard cloned some years ago. They picked up unusual transactions,froze the account and stopped me when I tried to use it . Slightly embarrassing but new card and full compensation with immediate effect

I believe that technically you are correct re section 75 and PayPal. However they have their own complaints procedure to compensate for this. If you buy through a seller who is PayPal registered and the product goes 'bad' in some way PayPal will compensate you providing you have evidence. Earlier I recalled a parts supply incident but have since recalled a much bigger loss we had which involved a bogus car park company through which we had booked many weeks flight parking. When we turned up at the air port, we found the company was fraudulent and didn't exist. Our reservation 'wasn't' and we had paid in full.  PayPal investigated and  refunded the full amount paid!  Finally it is my understanding that the security and encryption on PayPal is substantial.

• Like 1

On 19/01/2023 at 22:28, Wildjeeper62 said:

Yes we'll be there too.

Pretty certain I will be there now.  If I am I'd love to get chance to have a look around your Jeep.  Looks fantastic in the pictures I have seen, but never had chance to see it in real life.

• Like 3

• Platinum Member
On 23/01/2023 at 19:03, UKTJ said:

Pretty certain I will be there now.  If I am I'd love to get chance to have a look around your Jeep.  Looks fantastic in the pictures I have seen, but never had chance to see it in real life.

Hi UKTJ,

I am going to re Tax it in March and change the wheel hubs. A little bit of TLC is needed too as I was a bit hard with it last year in Belgium but it should be ready for the Slindon event so you are more than welcome to have a look.

• Like 2

• Platinum Member
Just now, Wildjeeper62 said:

Hi UKTJ,

I am going to re Tax it in March and change the wheel hubs. A little bit of TLC is needed too as I was a bit hard with it last year in Belgium but it should be ready for the Slindon event so you are more than welcome to have a look.

Bit Hard!  LOL. you should have seen some of the obstacles he achieved and 'failed' (only one that  I saw) 😁

Just be there this year! I hope I will be again with a bit of luck!

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
36 minutes ago, digger said:

Bit Hard!  LOL. you should have seen some of the obstacles he achieved and 'failed' (only one that  I saw) 😁

Just be there this year! I hope I will be again with a bit of luck!

Yes my tyre popped out at reception of an obstacle that was higher on the side I couldn't see than it seemed to be on the other side. ☺️

IMG-20220917-WA0029.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• Platinum Member
1 hour ago, Wildjeeper62 said:

Hi UKTJ,

I got a ride at Walter's last year. Sliding downhill and back up again didn't instill confidence in me 😫 I've gotten better since. Will be good to see you at Slindon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1