Slindon 4x4 - Saturday 1st April 2023

Volant165

• Platinum Member
12 hours ago, MGomes said:

This is probably the most valuable comment of all... I do not take Hank to p&p sites unless if with the JOC - purely because I trust JOC members more than the "send it brigade" that will have cars that they do not care if they get damaged etc.. - Its a "safe environment" (as safe as i gets with motoring events) but at least we know we have ppl that are about their cars (makes a difference for me)

The experience of a P&P day will make you really appreciate a JOC event day. I'm so grateful for the team that goes around the site, clearing back tree branches and scouting the site. At my one and only P&P day, I saw a mix of vehicles driving recklessly, one guy thought it a good idea to kick start another by ramming his vehicle into the back of the other (his bumper came off), my then Renegade Trailhawk was horribly scratched from bumper to bumper ( 1 layer of clear coat had to be polished off). Hooligans, can only describe the kind of drivers I saw. Sufficed to say we stuck to our little group.

• Like 3

• Platinum Member
On 21/02/2023 at 21:47, jerryg said:

Hi Lou,

I would like to camp at Slindon on the Friday night if it's available?

This should not be a problem. 

Lou 

• Platinum Member
Wildjeeper62

John Morgan must have had issues with some idiots at his Slindon site because from now on they will check that drivers have a Driving License.

Not sure if this will apply to the JOC event as it is for club members only but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Screenshot_20230301_211554_Facebook.jpg

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
9 hours ago, Wildjeeper62 said:

John Morgan must have had issues with some idiots at his Slindon site because from now on they will check that drivers have a Driving License.

Not sure if this will apply to the JOC event as it is for club members only but I thought it was worth mentioning.

We have a driver sign in at JOC events and a waiver form. I think our members are pretty responsible though. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

It's always been the Case that ALL JOC events require your Jeep to be Road Legal that Includes MOT and driving License etc.. (NO Trailered Jeeps without proof of it being Road legal please also contact the Club too before turning up to avoid disappointment on the day)

• Like 3

• Platinum Member
14 hours ago, Wildjeeper62 said:

There's beem a few posts of ppl doing stupid things and John and Team have to stay until after dark to recover them... another good reason to go on JOC days - we tend to be reasonable ppl lol

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
33 minutes ago, MGomes said:

There's beem a few posts of ppl doing stupid things and John and Team have to stay until after dark to recover them... another good reason to go on JOC days - we tend to be reasonable ppl lol

I think the other thing is that as a club everyone is happy to help everyone else, well that is certainly my experience anyway.  At the Whitecliff event I stopped to offer to winch somebody out of some mud they had become stuck in (as did a couple of other people), but no need as somebody was already knee deep in water getting a strap attached to a submerged rear recovery point.  That means there is less risk for anyone that wants to take on something they are not sure if they can get through, because they can pretty much guarantee a lot of help if it doesn’t work out.  Some photos and laughing, of course, but then a lot of help.

You may get some of that on a pay and play day, but less of it.  I suspect it is more often the laugh and drive on approach.

But, if the site now wants to see a driving license, no issue for me as I always have it in my wallet anyway.  If things like current MOT are required, is that something that now needs to be checked online.

Edited by UKTJ
Missing punctuation
  • Like 1

• Platinum Member
6 hours ago, UKTJ said:

I think the other thing is that as a club everyone is happy to help everyone else, well that is certainly my experience anyway.  At the Whitecliff event I stopped to offer to winch somebody out of some mud they had become stuck in (as did a couple of other people), but no need as somebody was already knee deep in water getting a strap attached to a submerged rear recovery point.  That means there is less risk for anyone that wants to take on something they are not sure if they can get through, because they can pretty much guarantee a lot of help if it doesn’t work out.  Some photos and laughing, of course, but then a lot of help.

You may get some of that on a pay and play day, but less of it.  I suspect it is more often the laugh and drive on approach.

But, if the site now wants to see a driving license, no issue for me as I always have it in my wallet anyway.  If things like current MOT are required, is that something that now needs to be checked online.

I must admit I check MOT and Tax for anyone that asks for help when stuck on the SPTA lol

• Platinum Member
eastbournesmiths
On 21/02/2023 at 09:49, PeterDann said:

Hi Lou
Thanks for the reassurance 🙂

But this does take me right back to my original message - as clearly you have some reservations about my “recoverability”. (My old TJ had a 1/2”? steel bracket bolted on the bumper). So what recovery points could I buy to add to my stock JKU to solve this - short of spending £1000s on new bumpers?

cheers

Peter

Picking up on the photos posted by @TimC the front tow point saved me at the 2020 Slindon summer camp. 

I got beached on one of the sandy climbs at the 'other' Slindon site and could go up or down. As other posts mentioned the joy of being in the JOC is that everyone is always very helpful and friendly and without asking I was offered rescue and pulled out.

By the time of the. 2021 Slindon summer camp I had lifted my JKU by 2" to avoid grounding so much.

Have also used the rear tow point to assist a neighbour who had squatters take over their house but once evicted left an untaxed and unroadworthy Peugeot 308 on their drive. Despite it having a flat tyre and a handbrake on the JKU pulled it off the drive and onto the road (as the Council would only take it away if left on the Highway). 

I had no issues with the tow points on either occasion and feel these stock items are good enough for the type of assistance which may be needed if you run into difficulties at Slindon.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member
Grant  Tuscan

We have booked too.  Enjoyed the Wales gathering very much, so thought we'd do another JOC event.

Looking forward to it.

• Like 2

• Platinum Member
36 minutes ago, Grant Tuscan said:

We have booked too.  Enjoyed the Wales gathering very much, so thought we'd do another JOC event.

Looking forward to it.

Will be good to see you again.

• Platinum Member
On 19/03/2023 at 20:02, Raakhee said:

Do we have a roll call for who is attending?

I have a list for who is attending yes. It looks like it will be a good turnout 😊

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

Quick question for the "locals" or anyone with local knowledge around Slindon....

Car Washes.... I usually clean lights / plates before hitting the road and then the following day get the car clean - now Sunday I am marshaling a half marathon with our local SAR and would prefer to have the car cleaned - anywhere around there that does not oppose to clean a car (probably just the outside)?

• Platinum Member
Wildjeeper62
2 hours ago, MGomes said:

Quick question for the "locals" or anyone with local knowledge around Slindon....

Car Washes.... I usually clean lights / plates before hitting the road and then the following day get the car clean - now Sunday I am marshaling a half marathon with our local SAR and would prefer to have the car cleaned - anywhere around there that does not oppose to clean a car (probably just the outside)?

Mannie,

I just checked Google Map and the closest Car wash is about 7 miles away and mid week they close at 05pm so best think is to find their phone number and give them a call to see if they open on Saturday and at what time they close.

Map.jpg

Details.jpg

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
14 minutes ago, Wildjeeper62 said:

Mannie,

I just checked Google Map and the closest Car wash is about 7 miles away and mid week they close at 05pm so best think is to find their phone number and give them a call to see if they open on Saturday and at what time they close.

Map.jpg

Details.jpg

Thank you - there are a few options, I guess it depends it they will "take you" - I have a couple of options around the SPTA that will wash mycar here - looking for those options lol

• Platinum Member

Dear all, 

Really looking forward to seeing everyone on Saturday for some Jeeping fun. Couple of things:

1. Can those who wish to wild camp on the Friday please message me. I need to let the site owner John know final numbers & your anticipated arrival times please. 

2. Regarding the topic I've seen on the forum about the the driving licence requirement for Slindon. I have had a discussion with John (site owner) and JOC members will not need to show theirs because you all sign waivers at check in. 

3. Do any children attending have diary intolerances? If so please let me know so I can ensure there are suitable Easter prizes available and everyone is happy 😃 

4. Exciting news ... there will be a short driver trainer session on Saturday for those who are new to off-roading / Jeeping and wish to attend.

5. I plan on cooking with a storm and bringing Easter cookies, brownies etc with me to sell with all money raised going to the Haematology fund at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham to

help support life saving stem cell transplants.  

Let the good times commence! 

Mrs V 

• Like 5

• Platinum Member
2 hours ago, Hecklejk said:

Is there onsite camping or anything local that will take a roof tent??

You can wild camp Friday night on the site. In an ideal world the site owner, John said it would suit him best if vehicles arrived around 8pm. Lou 

• Platinum Member
5 hours ago, Volant165 said:

Dear all, 

Really looking forward to seeing everyone on Saturday for some Jeeping fun. Couple of things:

1. Can those who wish to wild camp on the Friday please message me. I need to let the site owner John know final numbers & your anticipated arrival times please. 

2. Regarding the topic I've seen on the forum about the the driving licence requirement for Slindon. I have had a discussion with John (site owner) and JOC members will not need to show theirs because you all sign waivers at check in. 

3. Do any children attending have diary intolerances? If so please let me know so I can ensure there are suitable Easter prizes available and everyone is happy 😃 

4. Exciting news ... there will be a short driver trainer session on Saturday for those who are new to off-roading / Jeeping and wish to attend.

5. I plan on cooking with a storm and bringing Easter cookies, brownies etc with me to sell with all money raised going to the Haematology fund at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham to

help support life saving stem cell transplants.  

Let the good times commence! 

Mrs V 

Hi All

Apologies for absence I’m afraid. Need to be at my son’s U13 final footie match when they can win their first ever league title if they don’t lose. Sounds a perfect Jeeping day, Lou. 
All the best

Peter

• Platinum Member
14 hours ago, Hecklejk said:

Is there onsite camping or anything local that will take a roof tent??

Will be good to see you again, lets hope we will both leave with the cars in one piece this time lol

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
Windowlicker

Looking forward to this. Gonna be muddy! 

I don't suppose anyone attending has a spare 10A JK Rubicon wheel for sale do they?

Like this:

wheel.jpg.d630a3a30e95d52fe6f913ec3124a6fb.jpg