Slindon 4x4 - Saturday 1st April 2023

Volant165

• Platinum Member
4 hours ago, Raakhee said:

I got a ride at Walter's last year. Sliding downhill and back up again didn't instill confidence in me 😫 I've gotten better since. Will be good to see you at Slindon.

Ha Ha Ha !! It was a bit muddy so that worried you but I am sure you would have done that Hill if the ground was dry.

Looking forward to see you at Slindon too Raakhee.

• Like 2

• Platinum Member
5 hours ago, digger said:

Boy, that little bottle jack was a very useful tool that I've added to my kit!  👍

Phil you want at least a 4 Tonnes bottle Jack. Mine is a 5 T and if you can find someone to built one of these to put between the Axle and your Jack.

It will make you feel safer. 

20230127_154621.jpg

20230127_154657.jpg

• Like 3

• Platinum Member

Hi WJ, that top fit gizmo is a gr8 idea. Cheers.

I'll knock one up when I've five. I've a hard wood block  to stand the jack  on and I was putting it under the leaf spring plate  but that's much better!

Edited by digger
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, digger said:

Hi WJ, that top fit gizmo is a gr8 idea. Cheers.

I'll knock one up when I've five. I've a hard wood block  to stand the jack  on and I was putting it under the leaf spring plate  but that's much better!

Knock up a few at the same time and I'm sure you'll find some customers at Summer Camp.  I definitely know of one person (who doesn't weld) who would be interested in one 😉

• Platinum Member
1 hour ago, UKTJ said:

Knock up a few at the same time and I'm sure you'll find some customers at Summer Camp.  I definitely know of one person (who doesn't weld) who would be interested in one 😉

Gr8 idea . I'm willing but I'm struggling for time right now. I'm not allowed to do anything  until at least the end of next week plus I'm all behind with the YJ, plus I might have to have another procedure  in about3/4 weeks. 

So, let's see, about an hour or so each including painting , I guess!  Perhaps I could manage one or two! . Anyone interested could have a look and I could do more for next time. Let's see, I just can't promise anything at the moment. Let me know any one else  who could be interested? 

Any one who is, please tell me the diameter of the top of your jack, it may be different to mine! 😁

Edited by digger

• Platinum Member
jonathan Wharrad

How can I book for the 1st April event?  I am a new member and not sure how to find a button to register and purchase a ticket... Cheers

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
5 hours ago, jonathan Wharrad said:

How can I book for the 1st April event?  I am a new member and not sure how to find a button to register and purchase a ticket... Cheers

Hi Jonathan,

Welcome to the club!
Event tickets can be found under the 'JOC Store' tab then all you need to do is click on 'Jeep Owners Club Events.' 
Look forward to meeting you! 
Mrs V (Lou) 

On 27/01/2023 at 16:00, Wildjeeper62 said:

Phil you want at least a 4 Tonnes bottle Jack. Mine is a 5 T and if you can find someone to built one of these to put between the Axle and your Jack.

It will make you feel safer. 

20230127_154621.jpg

20230127_154657.jpg

Hi @Wildjeeper62

Quick question if I may.  You mention 4 tonne minimum.  Is that about lifting capacity, or because a heavier duty Jack will typically lift higher?

Thanks in advance.

• Platinum Member
3 hours ago, UKTJ said:

Hi @Wildjeeper62

Quick question if I may.  You mention 4 tonne minimum.  Is that about lifting capacity, or because a heavier duty Jack will typically lift higher?

Thanks in advance.

It's a bit for both really.  Once the wheel has been taken off the hub you must place it under the Jeep to avoid being crushed in case the jack fails but better be safe than sorry. Usually when a bottle or trolley jack is used close to its limit it intends to leak anyway. 

When we look at the weight we add to our Jeeps with steel bumpers, winches, bigger tyres etc they are lot heavier than what they were . Then like it was the case for me I needed to lift the front of my Jeep which was covered in mud so that is again added weight. I felt safer to crawl under the Jeep lifted by a 5Ton bottle Jack than a 3Ton even if a 3Ton would have lifted it.

As for how high you want your bottle Jack to lift your Jeep, best thing it to measure the gap between the floor and your axle. I know people would say put the Jack under the Differential but sometime you can't if you are not on level ground or if you want to lift the front driver side only.

Here is the Jack I bought, It fits in the rear floor comparment of my JK. Not sure if you have one in your TJ but it's very practical and safe as I don't want to get hit in the back of my head when off roading.

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/tbj5-5-ton-telescopic-bottle-jack

• Like 2

• Platinum Member
2 minutes ago, Wildjeeper62 said:

It's a bit for both really.  Once the wheel has been taken off the hub you must place it under the Jeep to avoid being crushed in case the jack fails but better be safe than sorry. Usually when a bottle or trolley jack is used close to its limit it intends to leak anyway. 

When we look at the weight we add to our Jeeps with steel bumpers, winches, bigger tyres etc they are lot heavier than what they were . Then like it was the case for me I needed to lift the front of my Jeep which was covered in mud so that is again added weight. I felt safer to crawl under the Jeep lifted by a 5Ton bottle Jack than a 3Ton even if a 3Ton would have lifted it.

As for how high you want your bottle Jack to lift your Jeep, best thing it to measure the gap between the floor and your axle. I know people would say put the Jack under the Differential but sometime you can't if you are not on level ground or if you want to lift the front driver side only.

Here is the Jack I bought, It fits in the rear floor comparment of my JK. Not sure if you have one in your TJ but it's very practical and safe as I don't want to get hit in the back of my head when off roading.

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/tbj5-5-ton-telescopic-bottle-jack

I have that Jack - but the 20 Ton on - I went a bit overboard on weight lol

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
1 minute ago, MGomes said:

I have that Jack - but the 20 Ton on - I went a bit overboard on weight lol

WoW !! Where do you store the Jack in your Jeep Mannie ? I originally bought the 10T but it was too big to fit in the rear floor compartment of my Jeep so I sent it back and bought the 5T.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
5 minutes ago, Wildjeeper62 said:

WoW !! Where do you store the Jack in your Jeep Mannie ? I originally bought the 10T but it was too big to fit in the rear floor compartment of my Jeep so I sent it back and bought the 5T.

I rarely use that compartment as the Dog Crate is a permanent feature in the car (there are some bits there but just stuff I rarely use) - Storage is not great on the JL's (No longer have young kids so not the end of the world) - I have a few storage boxes with "kit" ready to go (so it is easy to "grab and load" that fit on the "empty half" of the boot (It either takes the boxes or the cool box for days out)

image.thumb.png.9a9687ec63cc0635f3c58716982a291a.png

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member
2 hours ago, PeterDann said:

Sounds great.

Where can I buy recovery points for JKU 2009 with stock bumpers?

cheers

Peter

You already have them, front and rear, no need to buy any 👍

• Platinum Member

Thanks TimC

Is this in the manual or a previous discussion that you can point me to?

I remember fitting a bracket to the steel bumper of my old TJ. 

What do they look like on my JKU?

cheers

Peter

• Platinum Member
On 10/02/2023 at 23:00, PeterDann said:

Thanks TimC

Is this in the manual or a previous discussion that you can point me to?

I remember fitting a bracket to the steel bumper of my old TJ. 

What do they look like on my JKU?

cheers

Peter

Tucked under the bumper, rear left and front right if I remember correctly.

1A7EA2BF-9FDC-4C45-913E-47C54E1487F9.jpeg

57D51345-629C-46FB-A1C1-2AC6D88ADD23.jpeg

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

Hi Tim, I don't wish to offend or interfere  but I have a concern.  I know little about modern Wranglers but are you certain that that is a proper recovery hitch? It looks like a shipping bracket to me in which case it would not be safe or acceptable at 4x4 sites. Just a thought.

13 hours ago, TimC said:

Tucked under the bumper, rear left and front right if I remember correctly.

1A7EA2BF-9FDC-4C45-913E-47C54E1487F9.jpeg

57D51345-629C-46FB-A1C1-2AC6D88ADD23.jpeg

• Platinum Member
59 minutes ago, digger said:

Hi Tim, I don't wish to offend or interfere  but I have a concern.  I know little about modern Wranglers but are you certain that that is a proper recovery hitch? It looks like a shipping bracket to me in which case it would not be safe or acceptable at 4x4 sites. Just a thought.

No interference or offence taken Phil, always open to learning something.

Hmmmm 🤔.... I have always understood that the two large and hefty metal loops bolted to the chassis front and rear on wrangler JKs are recovery points and have used them as such. To be fair though I cannot point you to any written information from the manufacturer that states they are or what they are rated to. I also do not know exactly what the definition of a "proper recovery hitch" would be. ( I know what it isn't: a ball tow hitch) I would have thought that a " large and hefty metal loop bolted to the chassis front and rear " would probably constitute a proper recovery point but I don't run a 4x4 site so I don't know what they would find acceptable. 

I had to remove the front "recovery point" on my JKUR when I fitted the steel front bumper. It has two nice chunky looking lugs welded to it which you can attach shackles to ( in bright colours if you want ) which definitely look like a "proper" recovery points so I reckon a 4X4 site would look at it and find that acceptable. However on the rear I have left the original "recovery point " in place as in the pics. The reason I did this was because although my rear steel bumper also has big chunky "recovery point" lugs which fully look the part they are not through welded and attached to the chassis they are surface mounted and I don't fully trust either the welding or the attachment to the chassis of the bumper for recovery purposes. The factory loop looks to be more secure. What I should do now is probably google "wrangler JK recovery points" then I could just give you the answer rather than rambling speculation and assumption. 😁 Cheers 

• Platinum Member

OK, well a quick Google reveals ............. loads of conflicting information, what a surprise.

Apparently the stock JK "recovery points " primary intended use is as tie down points for shipping ....say some.

However, pretty much everyone uses them as recovery points and there appears to be no evidence of them ever failing.

Of course there is recovery and there is recovery. It is one thing to recover a broken down Jeep onto the back of a flat bed with a winch up a gentle slope, it's another to recover it from a bog, user discretion is advised. It has been suggested that the reason Jeep put the "primary intended purpose" in there is so they have a get out for when stupid people do stupid things with their Jeep and then look for someone to else blame when their recovery point breaks during a poorly handled off road recovery.

Anyway, my opinion - they are fine for most recoveries you are ever likely to come across, use your own discretion and don't try and winch up a cliff with it. 

• Like 2

Can’t comment on where it is located, but the ‘hope’ itself is the same as the original recovery point that was on my TJ.  That was on the bumper, through bolted to the frame.

• Platinum Member

Going back 30 years to the launch of the XJ in the UK, the vehicles were shipped with a piece of angle iron with a hole in it bolted with two bolts to the underside of the frame one at the front and for those without towbars, one alongside the fuel tank. These were referred to as tie-down or lashing points for vehicle shipping. However, the bolt spacing and diameter of the angle iron mounting holes was suspiciously similar to that of a classic drop forged recovery hook.

If you specified recovery hooks at the time of ordering, the angle iron lashing eyes would be removed by the dealer and replaced with a tow hooks. The front side that didn't have a lashing eye would get an additional reinforcement bracket to match the other side which required removal of the front bumper to fit. The other rear hook required a nut strip to be inserted down the end of the frame rail alongside the fuel tank. I have never seen a UK model with a driver side front towing hook reinforcement from the factory, they all had them on the passenger side. I believe the Mopar accessory catalogue at the time showed a pair of forged hooks and a pair of reinforcement brackets. One of them, LH or RH, would often not be needed as the Jeep was likely to have been equipped with one from the factory.

The TJ had a similar setup, but as it was a ladder chassis, it didn't need additional reinforcement. Simply unbolt the factory angle iron brackets and replace them with tow hooks. The JK's lashing points are substantially beefier, but I suspect that the bolt spacing and diameter is like the earlier models. From a design standpoint they look better engineered as recovery points with a horizontal pull than as lashing points with a vertical pull. I suspect that some bright spark that was designing them thought that as lashing points they would be single use but as recovery points they were likely to be used many times. I think an an official lashing point was designed that was good enough to be used as a recovery point without the bosses suspecting that the specification had been upgraded. That's how the Rubicon Wrangler came into existence.

Edited by V

• Platinum Member

Thanks everyone. 
Over to you Brad/Lou - does my stock 2009 JKU meet your rule for this event that says “Please ensure your Jeep has suitable recovery points. ” ?

• Platinum Member

Oh, and having not been to Slindon since JeepClub days will anyone with recovery skills be leading small groups around of newbies like us?

cheers

• Platinum Member
2 hours ago, PeterDann said:

Oh, and having not been to Slindon since JeepClub days will anyone with recovery skills be leading small groups around of newbies like us?

cheers

If there is no 4x4 training for newbies, you can follow me around. I've previously played around with my Renegade at Slindon and this will be the first time in my Wrangler. Trust me when I say this, there is probably no one more cautious than me. 

• Haha 1