Salisbury Plains - Sunday 29th 2023

Volant165

Wow that's clogged solid , 

Here is the link to the company in Germany we spoke about that keeps good quality units on the shelf. Also a great source for any part.

Arthur there is great and very helpful

https://www.renegade-station.de/de/Jeep-Ersatzteile/Jeep-Wrangler-TJ-96-06/Jeep-Wasserkuehler-Wasserpumpe-Keilrippenriemen-Falchriemen-Thermostat-Umlenkrolle-604/Jeep-Wasserkuehler-Kuehlerschlauch-Kuehlerdeckel-2649/

1 hour ago, Cameron said:

Fan appears to be okay but I will be taking it off and making sure it is not seized before I put the new radiator in.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cameron said:

Took my radiator out today.  The black part is where the hose hit it when trying to clean the enging bay.  The whole thing was orignally caked with the clay.

It may be a good idea to check your radiators to ensure you don't have an exploding radiator too.

117311076_WhatsAppImage2023-01-31at12_38_05.thumb.jpg.44dba98bb56bac204867efcedf0bef5b.jpg

I have so far only cleaned out from the front.  If the back looks anything like that then that is no doubt why I am still running hot!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Caroline12 said:

First thing I did with @spookie the aardvarkjeep on the way home was to check the fan was turning at a suitable speed, which it was. 

Fan seems to be working fine.  But of course, paranoia is now setting in about everything on the Jeep 🥴

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

Thanks to everyone for their help when my XJ 2.5TD tried to injest some of Salisbury Plain! No lasting damage, just a dead air filter which I have now replaced.

I probably should invest in a snorkel. Anyone on here know where I might obtain one? I can only seems to find 4-litre ones....

Cheers,

Trev.

• Platinum Member
On 31/01/2023 at 17:05, Chrisby said:

Wow that's clogged solid , 

Here is the link to the company in Germany we spoke about that keeps good quality units on the shelf. Also a great source for any part.

Arthur there is great and very helpful

https://www.renegade-station.de/de/Jeep-Ersatzteile/Jeep-Wrangler-TJ-96-06/Jeep-Wasserkuehler-Wasserpumpe-Keilrippenriemen-Falchriemen-Thermostat-Umlenkrolle-604/Jeep-Wasserkuehler-Kuehlerschlauch-Kuehlerdeckel-2649/

Yep, 2nd that ,good company, good service!  A lot of the 'Jeepers'' in Belgium recommended them too!🤠

Edited by digger
  • Like 4

• Platinum Member

A long time ago Jeep UK had an off road fleet of diesel XJ Cherokees, none of them had snorkels. Instead, the air-filter box was modified to have a convoluted rubber hose (think Elephant trunk) that they repositioned the open end high up at the back of the engine bay for off road and behind the headlight for street use.

• Like 3

• Platinum Member

Hi Trev, I've had a petrol 4.0L and a 2.5L Diesel XJ. I suspect you may have difficulty. I would find out where diesel Xjs were sold around the planet. Try searching there ! I don't think they were ever available in the states.  

If no good then I would consider making my own, either completely or partially. I can't remember which side the air intake was on mine, so have a look on yours and establish whether you need a RHD or a LHD Snorkel on the outside of your car which would provide the easiest route  to the filter box( not necessarily the shortest). Then buy any snorkel kit from Ebay etc that matches. Fit that on the outside and then modify/ make up pipes to fit on the inlet of your filter. You can buy suitable large diameter alloy pipe on the net quite cheaply and join them with Silicone hoses (Straight bits, bends whatever! Auto silicone Hoses are very helpful) then with a bit of cutting, a few jubilee clips etc ''Bob's your uncle''  Obviously you must make everything watertight so you may have to seal up the air box, whatever with silicone,tape etc.

I don't have a snorkel on my YJ but I do have a made up fresh air filter raising the height of it. If you would like to see a picture ,say, and I'll post one. It should give you an idea of what I'm on about! Good luck!

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

Hi Trev, me again, V always has brilliant info. You could do that .Its like my raised intake! Alternatively you could use an 'Elephant's trunk' to join the outside snorkel ,inside ,under the bonnet to join up with.

9 minutes ago, V said:

A long time ago Jeep UK had an off road fleet of diesel XJ Cherokees, none of them had snorkels. Instead, the air-filter box was modified to have a convoluted rubber hose (think Elephant trunk) that they repositioned the open end high up at the back of the engine bay for off road and behind the headlight for street use.

Ps your motor has very good torque for off roading!

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
5 hours ago, TrevsXJ said:

No lasting damage, just a dead air filter which I have now replaced.

Always keep an old air filter and fit it when you go off road

• Like 3

• Platinum Member

If you get really stuck like I did for the WK2 a bought 90mm induction pipe and an assortment of bends alley and silicon and made my own. 

Not a cheap option and takes some time, but not hard to do. I got the bits from 

www.autosiliconehoses.com

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
12 hours ago, JimC said:

Always keep an old air filter and fit it when you go off road

Good trick Jim.

Another thing I do as well is fit an extra filter sock over you filter or inlet. They are very fine. they don't

' stop water but they do slow it down!

• Like 2

• Platinum Member

After spending a good hour and a half under my Jeep today, trying to pull out grass, mud and stones I've come to the conclusion that Salisbury mud is the worst. The entire under carriage is caked in this awful stuff. I thought I had done a good job of washing my engine bay only for @UKTJ to ask me to pop my hood at Cars and Coffee yesterday and see that the engine is still dirty. Also I suspect there is more in the radiator that I didn't get to rinse out because some residue had leaked onto my clean bumper 😭

So next week, I'm pulling out the snow wash to see if that may get some of the mud off. I really don't want to pay a professional to clean.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Raakhee said:

After spending a good hour and a half under my Jeep today, trying to pull out grass, mud and stones I've come to the conclusion that Salisbury mud is the worst. The entire under carriage is caked in this awful stuff. I thought I had done a good job of washing my engine bay only for @UKTJ to ask me to pop my hood at Cars and Coffee yesterday and see that the engine is still dirty. Also I suspect there is more in the radiator that I didn't get to rinse out because some residue had leaked onto my clean bumper 😭

So next week, I'm pulling out the snow wash to see if that may get some of the mud off. I really don't want to pay a professional to clean.

I think you struck the perfect balance.  Clean enough to look loved, dirty enough to look properly used. 😃

But I do agree, Salisbury mud is horrible.

• Like 2

• Administrators
17 hours ago, Raakhee said:

Salisbury mud is the worst

You are not wrong I have spent days washing that mud chalk and grit out from My Jeep !!  

• Sad 1

• Administrators

Jim & Lou O second pic down! I remember this trip well! It was pretty muddy but no ice I don't think Chrisby? 

• Platinum Member
On 05/02/2023 at 19:47, UKTJ said:

I think you struck the perfect balance.  Clean enough to look loved, dirty enough to look properly used. 😃

But I do agree, Salisbury mud is horrible.

You are right, Salisbury mud is a pain that just stays with you long after you’ve left the plains. I’m sure I still have it in my radiator from the first trip we did 6 or 7 years ago.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Platinum Member
On 05/02/2023 at 19:06, Raakhee said:

Mine is looking alright now 🙂

• Like 5

• Platinum Member

After 45 mins of tugging and swearing I managed to get the studs off the radiator cover. Fair amount of mud in the radiator. I sprayed some snow foam and rinsed out. A puddle of mud formed under my Jeep. I would have taken after photos but it started to rain. 

Sufficed to say, the radiator fins are back to a gleaming silver 🙂

20230212_125848.jpg

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

After 45 mins of tugging and swearing I managed to get the studs off the radiator cover. Fair amount of mud in the radiator. I sprayed some snow foam and rinsed out. A puddle of mud formed under my Jeep. I would have taken after photos but it started to rain. 

Sufficed to say, the radiator fins are back to a gleaming silver 🙂

20230212_125848.jpg

Edited by Raakhee
  • Like 1