JKUR

Oddball

• Platinum Member

On the plus side, the fridge did get mounted though!9e60c2577d62c6f01296f1e531c42da9.jpg

Chief Cable Tie Engineer.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Oddball

• Maverick23

• Chrisby

• stewart

• Platinum Member

A good day today...recovered from spending yesterday almost exclusively on a pair of f@£&8^£~ lights!

Fridge slide finished, rear load shelf fitted and winch sorted. 

12316d28bfbbe7d529a91fd9a728dc16.jpg

c9712107f29851613cadb0e9ac2cfa8b.jpg

8b0996f8be603c1b871115c93cf867e7.jpg

2cf4a4cb31a3a050e1f168824607f1d5.jpg

3bac7ecf70cade1d37c9854c58c20279.jpg

d2b0d7450e3d9686993e520c2c0f55bf.jpg

Lost about 1/2 - 3/4" of lift. 

Glad I went for the AEV 3.5" lift, can't wait to get it fitted when remainder of the parts arrive.  The OME lift is good but with the rig pretty much fully loaded it is giving only a little over 1" over OEM (+tyres obviously).

I wished that I wasn't tackling the suspension again - you make your choices and you learn your lessons...

Guest grey thunder

A good day today...recovered from spending yesterday almost exclusively on a pair of f@£&8^£~ lights!

12316d28bfbbe7d529a91fd9a728dc16.jpg

c9712107f29851613cadb0e9ac2cfa8b.jpg

8b0996f8be603c1b871115c93cf867e7.jpg

2cf4a4cb31a3a050e1f168824607f1d5.jpg

3bac7ecf70cade1d37c9854c58c20279.jpg

d2b0d7450e3d9686993e520c2c0f55bf.jpg

Glad I went for the AEV 3.5" lift, can't wait to get it fitted when remainder of the parts arrive.  The OME lift is good but with the rig pretty much fully loaded it is giving only a little over 1" over OEM (+tyres obviously).

I wished that I wasn't tackling the suspension again - you make your choices and you learn your lessons..

Maybe talk to those who have been there and have the advice to give

• Platinum Member

I wished that I wasn't tackling the suspension again - you make your choices and you learn your lessons...

Really looking great Steve ... serious overland rig "under construction" :great:

:alien: Where did you get the rear load shelf?

Looks neat & would be a useful addition for my own Rubicon ...

• Platinum Member

The majority of the kit came from Jeepey.  The shelf is Front Runner; it's a good piece of kit - same material and construction as the roof racks.

• Platinum Member

Thanks Steve :great:

It is indeed a serious bit of kit http://shop.jeepey.com/product/interior-storage-rack-jk-4-door-vacc021/

I was thinking of the new Teraflex JK Rear Utility Cargo Rack https://teraflex.com/shop_items/563ba7c005a25c5bb19c9976 but the Front Runner version looks a lot more sturdy ...

... something for the future me thinks :glasses:

• Platinum Member

Agreed Stewart - if you want to use the softop the top will likley foul on the rear portion of the shelf; that portion sits right on the backside of the cage where the roof mechanism sits.

That teraflex rack looks as if it wouldn't be too much of a pain to drop in and out - the FR takes about an hour to fit and requires some serious contortions from both the rear seats and the boot!

I have no intention of using the softop with mine though so didn't have that problem to solve - the FR rack let's me store 3 wolf boxes side by side on rubber feet so no rattling about.

• Administrators

Agreed Stewart - if you want to use the softop the top will likley foul on the rear portion of the shelf; that portion sits right on the backside of the cage where the roof mechanism sits.

That teraflex rack looks as if it wouldn't be too much of a pain to drop in and out - the FR takes about an hour to fit and requires some serious contortions from both the rear seats and the boot!

I have no intention of using the softop with mine though so didn't have that problem to solve - the FR rack let's me store 3 wolf boxes side by side on rubber feet so no rattling about.

Take the roof off and try it ! It's yet another reason to own a wrangler !!

• Platinum Member

The roof came off the Black Edition a week after getting it home and only went back on when we sold it, a JK with the roof off is a great experience.

We bought the UR to build as an overland rig and aren't able to accommodate a trailer where we are without renting storage.  This drove the need for a fixed roof rack.  The UR is a lifer...we will continue to adapt it along the journey...

• Platinum Member

Totally agree with this statement.  Spent all day Sunday with the roof down whilst looking at some lanes near me.

Only thing I need to work out is how to stow it successfully..

• Platinum Member

This nice man turned up before the Dales & Lakes trip:35c0d2a5ad26f6e84605e2ec1ff85419.jpg

With one of these:

a659fb61f05415549f9c03700e0b2058.jpg

Which contained four of these:

30de5e5f812a53e2f3cf843e25f77a56.jpg

Hopefully getting these and the rest of the AEV 3.5" kit fitted in the next couple of weeks.

All from group one (Lakes trip) will appreciate the absence of wheel arches being ground out over their CB's on future trips!

Great service from Jeepey.com as always and brilliant input from the club.

Nice, was looking at them on Quadratec last night...... Hopefully sending my blown ones back in exchange :great:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Platinum Member

Nice, was looking at them on Quadratec last night...... Hopefully sending my blown ones back in exchange :great:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's a Leatherman in the picture next to them, shows how substantial the Pistons are...the finish on the castings is top draw.

I am obviously shooting in the dark with them but everything I have read from owners in states / Oz says they are worth the premium. 

I bet they would suit your rig perfectly given its weight, same reasoning that I applied - Brucy bonus if you can sort an exchange.

The ability to play with both compression and rebound based on vehicle loading makes sense for a dual purpose rig...

• Platinum Member
Vuck Roger

Camon, Steve... That BIG pallete for only 4 shocks??? I smell something fishy!

By the way Ryn from OK4WD replied on the topic of those same shocks stating he is absolutely thrilled with them!

• Platinum Member

Camon, Steve... That BIG pallete for only 4 shocks??? I smell something fishy!

By the way Ryn from OK4WD replied on the topic of those same shocks stating he is absolutely thrilled with them!

There were a few more bits and bobs on the pallet Hugo, nothing very exciting though.

Have managed to line myself up with a fully kitted commercial workshop with van lift and a mate who is handy with spanners a week on Saturday. Now looking forward to doing the work!

Will be very interesting to see how the shocks turn out. 

• Platinum Member

There were a few more bits and bobs on the pallet Hugo, nothing very exciting though.

Have managed to line myself up with a fully kitted commercial workshop with van lift and a mate who is handy with spanners a week on Saturday. Now looking forward to doing the work!

Will be very interesting to see how the shocks turn out.

Looks like you're going to have a whale of a time at the weekend. Going to be nice to see how those shocks feel when its all installed

• Platinum Member

I had one of my trolley jacks finally give out on me last weekend.  Treated myself to this wee beastie:

79db3d4e291b31057414d7b658e91ae0.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

Ended up doing the lift over the last two weekends having to juggle various other unplanned commitments.

Will do a decent update soon, a few pics during and after:

3d9dc98df9a2d1703e976cbc7e605241.jpg

0a3a3879b5276f3c254970a3f3b46ec8.jpg

The diff gave up its oil the second the torque was cracked off the bolts to mount the stabiliser mount in the AEV kit

a3b8a769b7313970ca381fc39105a487.jpg

Back on all 4 tonight and looking the business, more than pleased with the result

d4b849b61dbd27ef4bb94e41256fe6f0.jpg

• Platinum Member

That looks tremendous... and no mean feet doing it on the drive too 

• Platinum Member
Vuck Roger

Steve,

this is now rocking with the AEV 3.5 and the OME shocks, right?

Looks absolutely fab!

Great job, mate