JKUR

Oddball

• Platinum Member

Looks good, that should cure the rubbing issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Oddball

• Maverick23

• Chrisby

• stewart

• Platinum Member

Cheers guys. Quick 20 minute ride tonight and all feels good...nose dive gone and zero bump steer [emoji1360]

• Platinum Member

Well done Steve :great:

Still fitting in the garage?

Cheers!

It does, just over an inch to spare but have to take the high lift off due to the break over point of the up and over door.

There was around 4" of clearance with the OME 2" lift so I have gained something like 2.5/3" of lift over that kit.  It has been sat on the new shocks and springs for a week but only just driven 15 miles last night.

Will see if it settles any further when back from the Wales trip next weekend.

• Platinum Member

Steve,

this is now rocking with the AEV 3.5 and the OME shocks, right?

Looks absolutely fab!

Great job, mate

It is buddy, got the OME's set 50/50 rebound and compression at the moment - ride quality improvement is a different league over the OME 2" lift but then you would expect it.  The OME kit serves a purpose well.

• Platinum Member

A quick and big thanks to Jeepey and Andy B for sourcing the majority of the build kit. 

Being helpful, flexible and working dynamically on an ever moving parts list managing many different suppliers made the build process principally about physically building the Jeep and not the stress of sourcing kit.

If you are planning a few mods or a full build I would recommend Jeepey to be on your short list.

• Platinum Member

thanks for that, my 2dr JK ultimate is going there at the end of the month, for 3.5 AEV kit, front and rear bumpers, axle change both ends and a few other minor bits and pieces, looking forwards to driving it when we get back from Moab  :icon_e_biggrin: :icon_e_biggrin: :icon_e_biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

lifeline 1.75l Polished Extinguisher mounted to the rear Front Runner rack support using a Drake quick release mount.

The mount is a seriously tasty piece of engineering.

02cbae777443c7e70e895255b903cb33.jpg

• Platinum Member

AEV 3.5" Lift with OME BP51 Remote Res Shocks two weeks in:

I wanted to share a few thoughts on suspension at this point in the build process of our JKUR as it is without question the one aspect that has proven the most challenging to get right - this post is intended to benefit other in their decision making processes - I am writing as honestly as I can do about personal experiences and nothing more. 

As we all know, personal perspectives are subjective - subjective perspectives being dressed up as facts are the achilles heels of any club or forum; my subjective views are meant to assist not cause controversy.

Before I start, It must be noted that I have not driven a JK fitted with the 3.5" AEV kit with the kit Bilstein shocks for any decent amount of time - my views from this point forward are and will only be a reflection of the AEV kit including Springs, High Steer Kit and other geo correction items along with the BP51 shocks.  The BP51's along with their bespoke fitting kits were the only aspect of the AEV kit changed.

First - vWhy was the 2" OME kit not right for me?

My principal motivation into the 2" lift was simply to be able to fit 35" tyres and to run with a load.  In basic terms, the OME kit achieves this - it was an enhancement over OEM but the benefits were rapidly whittled away once loading the rig up for overland.  If you are running 35's and intend on carrying Fridge, Oztent, Recovery gear, Bumpers, Winch, Roof Rack and the usual sundries then the OME kit (even with HD rear springs) simply doesn't cut it.

Both Bob and Stewart were vocal with reservations of fitting the OME kit given my intended use - I made a call when I should have listened and heeded good advice.

In my (subjective) opinion, the OME kit is perfect for those not wanting to fully load their rigs, wanting quality kit but not wanting to break the bank.  My experience was that the kit was overwhelmed by the power and weight of a 'loaded' JKUR.  A jeep that once loved to be 'pushed hard' both on and off road needed a fair amount of pre emptive/ defensive road craft and off road line choosing / consideration - any drivers out there will hastily point out that this is how any good driver treats the trail and the road in this manner regardless, I though don't want compromise in my rig, I want it to run at its best in the hands of any old village idiot!  If I wanted compromise I would have stuck with a Puma.

What did I consider before settling on a Frankenlift?

JKS 2.5 kit (love Fox)

AEV 2.5 kit (love AEV)

AEV 3.5 RS kit (love AEV, Bilstein less so)

My theory on the subject of the 2.5" lifts was that if the spring rates were right, I wouldn't need to run increased lift.  Ultimatley though, the fear of getting it wrong again shifted my horizons toward 3.5".  Why not 4 and above?  Simple - it needs to fit in the garage!

Why a frankenlift?

In simple terms - I like experimentation and I am used to setting up suspension, I also wanted a shock I can service. The kit Bilsteins can’t be serviced whereas both fox and OME can be serviced and valved here in the UK.  Having seen the BP51's in the flesh I knew I wanted a set...the engineering is exceptional; finish is awesome.  I am also though a full convert to AEV; yes, price is excessive but the quality of the end result is second to none.  I spent much time reading and physically holding and eyeballing kit…the amount of research put into AEV products is obvious.

Results

Fully loaded there is still drop in the back end albeit significantly less pronounced than the OME kit.  There is though a significant and fundamental difference - the ride quality and handling characteristics do not change, the JK remains balanced and predictable regardless of axle loading.  You know the load is there but you only notice it in the level of throttle and break input…the Jeep handles like a car with independent suspension either loaded or unloaded.

I attribute the majority of the improved road manners to the dual rate spring.  I cannot stress enough that the road manners of the Jeep with AEV springs is phenomenal - I don’t go easy on my kit, it gets pushed hard…

Shock adjustability matters when you double the load of your rig:

The adjustability of both rebound and compression on the BP51’s comes into it’s own when you run a rig to the extremes of capability.  Fully loaded with compression and rebound backed off to soft settings the rig wallows, increase up to 80% max and suddenly you are back to a strong responsive feel…the Wales trip underlined this, I was able to play with settings during the weekend - the change was discernible.  If you drive the rig at these settings unloaded the ride becomes harsh…not unbearable / un-driveable, just harsh…the springs continue to keep the wheels on the road just fine.  Back the shocks off to c. 40% and you are transported back to plush but well damped handling.

Our JK is without doubt a significantly more sorted set up than before - point to point it is a quicker beast simply through sorted handling. 

Anyone witnessing our run through Wales would attest to that last point!

I will report back as the lift beds in (and I finally manage to keep everything torqued down - don't ask!)...

Andy B - thanks for taking the time with me to source all the kit, great service from Jeepey at competitive prices.

Jeep Whisperer (AKA Bob, AKA Grey Thunder) - thanks for your patience, time and wisdom!

Christian - thanks for laughing at me during various stages of the build... :icon_rr:

• Platinum Member

Thorough write up Steve, taken a lot of time to pass on your experience and insights. Useful stuff.  :great:

• Platinum Member
Vuck Roger

Well done. Thanks for sharing.

After my experience with the Blisteins on the 2.5 AEV, I can tell you I will not use them again. After less than 30K miles, the external zinc-coating is gone. Note that this is not a DD and I hose my JK quite frequently, even in Winter.

In my modest opinion 3.5 is the best for the JKU with 35s! And did I mention I love the black ones????

Good stuff, Steve!

Hugo

• Trade Member

Nice Fire extinguisher mount  :icon_bounce:... good location for it too...

Good job on the write up  :great:

Guest grey thunder

Nice Fire extinguisher mount  :icon_bounce:... good location for it too...

Good job on the write up  :great:

Better late than never