Transpirenaica 2023

stinger108

• Platinum Member
15 minutes ago, stinger108 said:

Good evening.

As promised, the video of the trip. it is too big to upload here so it is in google drive. let me know if you have any problem to get from there:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vpjOsYKq1_f0JAeGxlzvuuZho5RY8Mw3/view?usp=share_link

Also the travel book with practical information:

TransPyrenees 2023 travel book.pdf 42.69 kB · 1 download

And the track points

https://www.wikiloc.com/offroading-trails/transpyrenees-2023-actual-track-144562431

With that I finish this thread and will open a new one for TransCantabric 2024.

Any one needing more information of the TransPyrenees please let me know.

Looks awesome Ignacio

Something I would love to do one day. Added to an evergrowing list 

• Platinum Member
39 minutes ago, doodle said:

Looks awesome Ignacio

Something I would love to do one day. Added to an evergrowing list 

😜

you will love it!

• Like 2

• Platinum Member

HI Ignacio.  👍😃😃👍

Fantastic! Well done! What else can I say.

Its only the long days that concern me for Transcantabric 24. I hope I can stand the pace. 

I will be making every effort to come along.

Advance warning everyone.

I will need a passenger/co driver if I am to do this.

If I can't find a suitable person the only alternative will be '' would any one take me as a passenger/co driver''?

Anyone interested in either option please get in touch by pm or post. Thanks

Edited by digger
  • Like 1

• Platinum Member

Thanks both for the nice comments. I have invested many hours on the video, always concern it become too long and boring to the audience.

Bear with me and I will do some research next week on how to cross there.

@Phil, on the route I will look for short cut alternatives to reduce drive time every day. and either one of your options will work.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
1 hour ago, digger said:

HI Ignacio.  👍😃😃👍

Fantastic! Well done! What else can I say.

Its only the long days that concern me for Transcantabric 24. I hope I can stand the pace. 

I will be making every effort to come along.

Advance warning everyone.

I will need a passenger/co driver if I am to do this.

If I can't find a suitable person the only alternative will be '' would any one take me as a passenger/co driver''?

Anyone interested in either option please get in touch by pm or post. Thanks

@diggerWOuldnt have an issue with you in the passenger seat if it came to it!

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
12 hours ago, stinger108 said:

Thanks both for the nice comments. I have invested many hours on the video, always concern it become too long and boring to the audience.

Bear with me and I will do some research next week on how to cross there.

@Phil, on the route I will look for short cut alternatives to reduce drive time every day. and either one of your options will work.

Hi Ignacio,

I've taken all your comments on board since we chatted at camp. I'm amazed at the huge effort you are making. All being well I am determined to come along.  Hopefully in my YJ (I'm even adding some extra comforts this winter)  but my France trip has shown me my limitations, too hot and  no drive share ,no trip😟.  However I'm working on it!!!

As for you and Doodle taking me along, many thanks to you both and I'm very grateful. Lets wait and see but in any event I would of course contribute my share. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, digger said:

Hi Ignacio,

I've taken all your comments on board since we chatted at camp. I'm amazed at the huge effort you are making. All being well I am determined to come along.  Hopefully in my YJ (I'm even adding some extra comforts this winter)  but my France trip has shown me my limitations, too hot and  no drive share ,no trip😟.  However I'm working on it!!!

As for you and Doodle taking me along, many thanks to you both and I'm very grateful. Lets wait and see but in any event I would of course contribute my share. 

@digger I have already taken a look at the ferry option and I’m 99.9% certain that I would look to do the ferry both ways.  The ferry timetables look to show the outbound as being evening sailings with two nights onboard, with the inbound typically an earlier sailing arriving the second evening.  That would make for a much more relaxed way to start and end the trip than pounding along motorway across all of France in my TJ.  But I appreciate that for those with more creature comforts a drive in at least one direction could be incorporated into the trip with some interesting stops along the way.  The ferry isn’t cheap, but not is driving across France in a 15mpg Jeep 😅.

I appreciate there is still then the actual event driving to consider, but having a relaxed start and two days on the way back with little to do except chat about a fabulous trip and maybe drink a couple of glasses of Rioja must help 😉.

In terms of teaming up, I would of course be delighted to do so. But until there is some view on dates, etc. I can’t say for sure whether Abby would be interested in coming, which would limit my ability to do so.

• Like 1

Wow, Ignacio, that's a fabulous (and professional) video of a great adventure! 

We'll be crossing the Pyrenées next month, and I rather fancy trying at least one day's worth of this trip whilst we're there, so I'll look up the Wikiloc points to crib the routes. We have done Andorra to Tor and beyond, which was good fun; I'm not sure if you went that way or not. Since we're usually travelling North to South, we haven't seen so much of these routes, so perhaps we need to take more time on our journeys!

Picture of a rickety-rackety bridge on the road into Tor; we trip-trapped over it and didn't get carried off by the troll!

totor719.thumb.jpg.7e5ec4e39f7f239ca08a01a49eb4af94.jpg

TransCantabric sounds interesting next year; we'll keep following the thread. Theoretically, being retired, we should easily have the time to do it, but we seem to be busier than ever, trying to do everything before we get too old. Of course, the 90 days max in Schengen regions is a problem, too, otherwise we'd be back in Spain already.

Thanks for posting all that info.

Regards,

Gerald

Edited by Gerald F
typo
  • Like 2

• Administrators

Here's some pic's from our trip heading to Camp Jeep in Early June 2016 via Pyrenees! The late melt of the snow meant we had to do a massive detour ! Not expected so no snow chains ! Also the melting snow beneath made it too dangerous to drive! 

Here's a Video from the trip 

IMG_8599.jpeg

IMG_0999.jpeg

IMG_0997.jpeg

• Like 4

• Platinum Member

Thanks UKTJ.  I'm sure I will hope fully make it one way or the other. 

I ,too had looked at the ferries. I didn't think the prices were bad really. As you say when one takes into account costs and shear agro of driving down it is definitely the option I would take!  I think it would be Portsmouth/Bilbao.

I still can't understand why you are only getting 15 mpg, my YJ has never been that bad. 😬

Hi Gerald, that's the thing about retirement! I retired many years ago and a friend said ''give it a few months and you won't know how you found the time to go to work'' ! 😃

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
3 hours ago, Gerald F said:

Wow, Ignacio, that's a fabulous (and professional) video of a great adventure! 

We'll be crossing the Pyrenées next month, and I rather fancy trying at least one day's worth of this trip whilst we're there, so I'll look up the Wikiloc points to crib the routes. We have done Andorra to Tor and beyond, which was good fun; I'm not sure if you went that way or not. Since we're usually travelling North to South, we haven't seen so much of these routes, so perhaps we need to take more time on our journeys!

Picture of a rickety-rackety bridge on the road into Tor; we trip-trapped over it and didn't get carried off by the troll!

totor719.thumb.jpg.7e5ec4e39f7f239ca08a01a49eb4af94.jpg

TransCantabric sounds interesting next year; we'll keep following the thread. Theoretically, being retired, we should easily have the time to do it, but we seem to be busier than ever, trying to do everything before we get too old. Of course, the 90 days max in Schengen regions is a problem, too, otherwise we'd be back in Spain already.

Thanks for posting all that info.

Regards,

Gerald

Thanks Gerald for your kind comments.

We started Tor but half way stopped and back towards Andorra as it was being a very long day.

Any more info you can need on the track points or the travel book just shout.

On Schengen unfortunately I cannot help 😞

• Like 1