Transpirenaica 2023

stinger108

• Platinum Member

Thanks so much for all the work everyone has put in. Some options seem viable to me ,one way or the other. So, whatever is decided I will do my utmost to be there!  The big factor for me is the dates. I do not wish to travel in holiday periods because of the cost and the traffic. 😀

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

Very interesting point digger and I have looked to the seasonality impact on ferry cost (in attached table).

Assuming a total tour of 16 days, from a cost point of view the optimal days are outbound 24/4 and inbound 9/5 with a r/t cost of £512 plus cabins, which almost duplicates by end July-early August. There is a minimal difference in the cost of cabins; problem is availability in peak days (i.e. lack of availability and then need to upgrade to a more expensive cabin).

In principle I have no problems with any date, except school brakes when I need to be on parenting duty.

Ferry price list.pdf

• Like 2

• Platinum Member

As a comparison for more non-school holiday periods, I have looked at dates in September for Portsmouth to Bilbao and the return trip:

Outbound 5th September, 2 passengers, 4x4 height, standard booking terms £346

Inbound 14th September, 2 passengers, 4x4 height, standard booking terms £381

Weather forecast for May 2023

French side

Spanish side

Weather forecast for September 2023

French side

Spanish side

• Platinum Member
1 hour ago, V said:

As a comparison for more non-school holiday periods, I have looked at dates in September for Portsmouth to Bilbao and the return trip:

Outbound 5th September, 2 passengers, 4x4 height, standard booking terms £346

Inbound 14th September, 2 passengers, 4x4 height, standard booking terms £381

Weather forecast for May 2023

French side

Spanish side

Weather forecast for September 2023

French side

Spanish side

September would be a better time for me, given other commitments.

• Platinum Member

September weather in Spain is extremely beautiful, one of the best if not the best month of the year. Still warm but not hell hot like July-August, specially in the north and in the mountains, long days with many light hours and (usually) no rain. Weather wise is very similar to May (traditionally the favourite month for locals) even May can be more unstable and unpredictable than September, specially in the mountains. also September being at the end of the summer guarantees no snow, or at last used to be, now with the crazy weather we are having you never know.

First half of September is still high season-high tourist volume; much lower volumes in second half.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

I would prefer earlier or later , April/May or Sept /Oct. When I've been to Matienzo the weather breaks predictably at the end of October. Bad news in caves!

Cooler and cheaper at these times!

• Platinum Member
1 hour ago, stinger108 said:

I have created a google sheet to start recording preferences of people. the link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Y5E00pR3t9OfdPJnlx5TzsXT5PFHEa5t_HkYwgiz0wM/edit?usp=sharing

there are 10 lines, if more needed just copy-paste the last line. and feel free to add columns if needed.

Cannot edit at mo as out and don't have app on phone but tbh sept is preferred due to more time to sort stuff out but I'd probably be able to do may as well... 

If sept you could squeeze in the Belgium Jeeper event on the way if it's on...😁😁

• Like 2

• Platinum Member
55 minutes ago, doodle said:

If sept you could squeeze in the Belgium Jeeper event on the way if it's on...😁😁

That's what I was thinking too.

• Like 3

• Platinum Member

I think the Yj would be ok but dunno about me!   Never mind you only live once!!!!  😄   I'm in!  Just hope i can survive the challenge trial, seeing as I'll know what to do next time!  😉

• Like 3

• Platinum Member

I will have a look this week to routes in France that we can off-road in the morning and the drive 3-4 hours in late afternoon to next stop. doing this for 4-5 days from Belgium to mid-pyrenees. Then 4-5 days crossing Pyrenees west bound towards Bilbao, a couple days of relax and ferry back home.

Thinking if we do this as a post-Belgium event, is it worth to drive all the way across France to Spain for transpyrenees, or better to stay in the area and off route in France-Belgium-Luxembourg-Germany as digger proposed? more fuel for the discussion 

• Like 2

• Platinum Member
11 hours ago, stinger108 said:

I will have a look this week to routes in France that we can off-road in the morning and the drive 3-4 hours in late afternoon to next stop. doing this for 4-5 days from Belgium to mid-pyrenees. Then 4-5 days crossing Pyrenees west bound towards Bilbao, a couple days of relax and ferry back home.

Thinking if we do this as a post-Belgium event, is it worth to drive all the way across France to Spain for transpyrenees, or better to stay in the area and off route in France-Belgium-Luxembourg-Germany as digger proposed? more fuel for the discussion 

To be honest - I only assume that that the Belgian one would be Sept again- it may not be.

I'm up for either tbh- I like the idea of both areas- I guess it makes sense if the Belgian one was on to then go via Germany/France etc but if its not then the other side..

There is the other French event that happens in  July as well Coombes something--Cannot Think at mo the name of it.. 

• Like 2

• Platinum Member

I think from what Erich said to me it is usually in September in Belgium. It was similar dates in 2021 too.

When I mentioned staying around the area it was just a thought!  However ,thinking about it, some of those other countries or moving on to another event ,sounds a gr8 idea to me. The thing that I find hard is many continuous hours of road driving! After all isn't getting away from that , what we are about!

• Like 2

• Platinum Member

Hi all,

I haven't joined this epic discussion despite that it sounds really good because I cannot afford to have 16 days off work at once if I want to go to the other events I am planning to go in Europe and in the UK.

I went to the Pyrenes 7 years ago with my KJ and another JOC member Peter B on our way to the Med for Green Laning in Corsica. We drove quite few well known trails and I must say it is a very Beautiful area but the costs involved for that particular Trip wouldn't allow me to attend the other events that I really like. 

Ignacio I am not hijacking your Topic but just informing people that unfortunately I had confirmation from the JeepAOC Club that once again there won't be a Chambon s/Jeep in 2023. 

The event mentioned above by Doodle is the Jeep's Week. It is on a Superb site called "Les Combes Grondees". It's in a village called  Saint Syphorien de Marmagne which is about 2 miles west of Le Creusot. The dates for next year are from Thursday 13th to Sunday 16th July 2023. It's about 08 hours drive from Calais so you must include one day to go and one day to come back. It's camping on site but possibility to stay in B&B or hotel in town nearby. I will post the new Registration Form on here once I receive it.

• Like 4

• Platinum Member
41 minutes ago, Wildjeeper62 said:

Ignacio I am not hijacking your Topic but just informing people that unfortunately I had confirmation from the JeepAOC Club that once again there won't be a Chambon s/Jeep in 2023. 

no offence taken, many proposals haven been thrown on the thread so far and is good to include valuable info as you did which will help on the options

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • Platinum Member

Well, it has taken me a little bit more than expected but finally the full track is completed, East to West in 8 stages totalling 720 miles, 65% off road and 35% tarmac.

You can find the main track here:

https://www.wikiloc.com/offroading-trails/transpyrenees-2023-125487238

There are additionally (not included in the main track) 64 miles of detours to visit interesting places, like viewpoints, castles and mountain chapels.

Also I have charted some short cuts using main roads in case some days become too long of driving. Again, not plotted in the main track.

The following are the stages in the main track:

Stage 1: Colera-Tapis. 58 miles. Easy.

Stage 2: Tapis-Planoles. 92 miles. Difficult.

Stage 3: Planoles-Andorra. 91 miles. Moderate.

Stage 4: Andorra-Vielha. 130 miles. Difficult.

Stage 5: Vielha-Broto. 125 miles. Moderate.

Stage 6: Broto-Siresa. 70 miles. Moderate.

Stage 7: Siresa-Roncesvalles. 80 miles. Easy.

Stage 8: Roncesvalles-Cabo Higuer. 74 miles. Easy.

To design this track I have used other recent tracks (less than 12 months old) completed and published by other travellers. I have extracted the best parts and merged them; all done over a map in a computer (i.e. theoretical track) that needs validation on the field. 

To validate the track I will be heading south on April 28th to cross the Pyrenees between the 29th and 6th of May, in case anyone is interested in joining me. In any case I will let you know the results of the on-the-field-validation experience.😀

Ignacio

• Like 6

• Platinum Member

Hi Ignacio, you have certainly come up with an amazing trip! I hope your recce goes well. Well done !

If you still plan to run it as an expedition for a group of Jeeps in 2024 then ,with luck, I would be up for it as hopefully I should be fully recovered by then!

Pity you can't make Saint Symphorien de Marmagne!

Edited by digger
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • Platinum Member
stinger108

Well, proud to say that I managed to complete the adventure in 8 days, luckily with no mayor incidents even at some points I though wth am I doing here?

I am editing a video with the highlights which I will publish as soon as ready. meanwhile as a "proof of life" two pics: the first one is platja dels morts in Costa Brava, Mediterranean Sea (east point); and the second is Cabo Higuer in Irun, Cantabric Sea (West Point). 

colera.heiccabo higuer.heic

• Like 2

• Platinum Member

what a couiple of pics Ignacio. You look like you had a great time. Hopefully one day we can do this as well. Certainly would be fantastic

• Platinum Member
stinger108

thanks doodle, it was really good fun and enjoyable.

Now I have the track, hotels, recommendations, etc. for anyone willing to do in the future. I will get all in a file to share.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • Platinum Member

Good evening.

As promised, the video of the trip. it is too big to upload here so it is in google drive. let me know if you have any problem to get from there:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vpjOsYKq1_f0JAeGxlzvuuZho5RY8Mw3/view?usp=share_link

Also the travel book with practical information:

TransPyrenees 2023 travel book.pdf

And the track points

https://www.wikiloc.com/offroading-trails/transpyrenees-2023-actual-track-144562431

With that I finish this thread and will open a new one for TransCantabric 2024.

Any one needing more information of the TransPyrenees please let me know.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2