Slindon 4x4 - Saturday 2nd April 2022

JimC

11 hours ago, Mike WK2 said:

Hi UKTJ, 

I have an SWR meter and cable I can bring with me not a problem. 

Do you know if your aerial is tuneable ? Or if needs to be cut to tune, if it needs cutting I’ll sling the grinder in the back as well as I found that easier for making small adjustments. 

OK, took a look at the aerial.  IIUC the tuneable ones have a tip that can be adjusted, there is nothing like that on mine.  The only one hing I can see is a grub screw at the bottom, presumably that just allows the straight part of the aerial to be separated from the ‘springy’ bit at the bottom, rather than tuning.

Cutting it sounds a bit scary.

Edited by UKTJ

• Platinum Member

😆😆 sounds like the same as mine. 

I found on my set up I needed to shorten the aerial slightly more than what the grub screw allowed for, therefore a simple quick loosen the grub screw and taking approx: 5mm off the bottom and replacing gave the adjustment I needed. 

But every set up will be different, with how good an earth you have, length of cable etc etc. 

I’ll bring both with me, it shouldn’t take much to have it sorted. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Mike WK2 said:

😆😆 sounds like the same as mine. 

I found on my set up I needed to shorten the aerial slightly more than what the grub screw allowed for, therefore a simple quick loosen the grub screw and taking approx: 5mm off the bottom and replacing gave the adjustment I needed. 

But every set up will be different, with how good an earth you have, length of cable etc etc. 

I’ll bring both with me, it shouldn’t take much to have it sorted. 

That's brilliant, many thanks.

• Platinum Member

Looks like I won't be there this weekend. Gutted. 

The Jeep seems to have suffered some terminal electrical gremlins - it's left me stranded twice and limp home mode pops up on a regular basis. Multiple attempts to fix by Jeep have failed. 
It's only a 2020 Rubicon with 11k miles.

Jeep dealer has now done the honorable thing and offered to buy it back - with just a price adjustment for the miles I've done. 

So, that's it - my brief love affair is over. Such a shame - I only managed to make one Jeep event at Aldermaston 😞 

I'm sure I just got unlucky - but it's knocked my confidence in reliability. 

...now, what do I buy next! 🙂 

• Sad 4

• Platinum Member

Hi All,

For those attending tomorrow we will have event only pricing on some items for you tomorrow!

Vintage JOC T-Shirts £5

GearAmerica Mega Duty D Ring Pair of Shackles (Green) £20

GearAmerica Snatch Block 9 ton £15

See you there!

• Like 3

• Platinum Member

I also won’t be there in Daisy Duck 😞😞😞😞😞😞😞 starter motor died this afternoon, tested it when out, I removed it. Gear fires out but won’t turn. New one arriving Monday, then I will fit it.

gear is very tight and stiff. Garage said all electrical stuff on cars, their life is 7 years, battery, starter motor and alternator will all be replaced after 7 years, battery is not in good shape either 😞😞😞😞😞

but I will be there on Saturday with Spookie 😊

43CA8E84-49DD-42FF-A015-4B2A8D21DA49.jpeg

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

Quote:- Garage said all electrical stuff on cars, their life is 7 years, battery, starter motor and alternator will all be replaced after 7 years, battery is not in good shape either... 
What a load of cods!!

Without tempting providence and summoning the gremlins, my KJ (15 yrs young) has original starter motor, original alternator, only on 2nd battery. Other cars I have owned have also had major electrical components lasting 15 or more years.

Some of this is down to what I was taught in my early years of motoring - 'car sympathy'. In other words stroke it don't poke it, unless you want to! 

They really do try and drum up business. And most of these can be reconditioned by independent outlets as well. Even DIY if you have a mechanical/electrical bent.

Will miss tomorrow, will be marshaling on a motor rally. Have fun folks, and take care.

• Like 4

• Platinum Member
4 hours ago, Caroline12 said:

Garage said all electrical stuff on cars, their life is 7 years, battery, starter motor and alternator will all be replaced after 7 years, battery is not in good shape either

I think 7 years (100,000 miles) is a minimum life expectancy on electrical and electronic components. A car that has stop-start is going to put more wear on the battery, starter motor and alternator than one that doesn't.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

Everyone has their own opinion, I just repeated what the garage said, who to be honest work on cars all day long, as it’s their job and have a better feel for these things than me. 

secondly, I flooded my engine, destroyed my alternator, drained the battery to 11 volts instantly, engine would not start, solenoid clicking but nothing even with a V8 defibrillator for 20 mins. The alternator is right next to the starter motor, so a good chance I knackered both. I would not be surprised if the starter motor is rusty in side. 
it is a start stop engine.

so if I hadn’t flooded the engine bay, it would probably all be fine. Water and mud don’t work well for electrical components. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Volant165 said:

Hi All,

For those attending tomorrow we will have event only pricing on some items for you tomorrow!

Vintage JOC T-Shirts £5

GearAmerica Mega Duty D Ring Pair of Shackles (Green) £20

GearAmerica Snatch Block 9 ton £15

See you there!

Time to raid the wife's purse before leaving 😉

6 hours ago, Tim_DS said:

...now, what do I buy next! 🙂 

How about @46stm's lovingly built JK 😉

Seriously though, it does seem from stories on here that the JL is having more issues than is ideal.

• Platinum Member
RicksterUKWK

Set out this morning but only got about 5 miles before limp mode 

Turbo actuator problem - thought I fixed  it yesterday

Gutted☹️

• Platinum Member

Hi all, 

First timer here and I'm sure I'm defintely lost haha. Just saw the sign that said jeep owners club and turned into the turning. Went past some mud and I don't see people soo I'm lost lol 

If anyone can call me with abit of help it would be appreciated 

Thanks 

Olivia 

• Platinum Member

Please post your pictures and videos from Slindon here - 

This thread now locked.

• JimC locked this topic