New member to the family

Arno

• Platinum Member
On 16/09/2019 at 15:55, Arno said:

Gone to Cornwall the weekend with the Jeep and very impressed with the fuel, got an avg of 26.5mph (according to the dash readout), sticking to 70mpg on the motorways..  just need to get use to the automatic 😉

Good weather this weekend, always the best month to come visit, you should have popped round to say hi and we could have done a little drive together

• Platinum Member

Got a quick question re bigger tyres on the JK

My TJ is a manual with 3.07 diff ratios, when, I up to 31" tyres I really notice the difference in power, could not use 6th gear on the motorways as there was just not enough power to keep it going

Now the JK got roughly 32" tyres and 4.1 gearing, so if I want to move up to a 35" tyre will I be back in the same boat, loosing loads of power? Would I need to think about regearing ?

What's the view out there?

• Platinum Member

As far as I know Arno you should not need to regear, 35s will be fine on the 4.1 axle ratio on the Recon. I believe you’d be good up to 37s. There was a useful tyre size/axle ratio chart that @chrisby posted up here a while back 🤔

btw I run 33s on the JKUR with zero noticeable impact on power.

Edited by TimC

• Platinum Member

I would definitely think about AEV procal Arno,got mine from Alex at Buzz and it sorted out speedo correction and gear change points,Well worth getting.

• Platinum Member
3 hours ago, Tony said:

I would definitely think about AEV procal Arno,got mine from Alex at Buzz and it sorted out speedo correction and gear change points,Well worth getting.

Just a word on the AEV procal. I have one and it's a very handy little box of goodies. However, it is also quite expensive. Have a look at this post, also from @Chrisby.

I got this set up on this recommendation and I second what Chris says about it. you can do everything a Procal does and a whole load more for a fraction of the price as long as you have a smartphone or tablet to download the app onto. If you use a smartphone it's practically as convenient as a Procal, a better value for money option in my opinion. 

6 hours ago, TimC said:

Just a word on the AEV procal. I have one and it's a very handy little box of goodies. However, it is also quite expensive. Have a look at this post, also from @Chrisby.

I got this set up on this recommendation and I second what Chris says about it. you can do everything a Procal does and a whole load more for a fraction of the price as long as you have a smartphone or tablet to download the app onto. If you use a smartphone it's practically as convenient as a Procal, a better value for money option in my opinion. 

This app is really good, cheap and works perfectly. Highly recommended !

• Platinum Member

You will be fine running 35's on your Recon. You can even "get by" with 37's on the existing 4.10 if you need to. Multiple trips to Pyrenees, Camp Jeep France, Germany, Austria and Stewart was able to keep up with me at 115mph on those sections of the autobahn when in germany with his 37's on 4:10. (I run 33's on 3.73 on my Rubicon for fuel economy of course)

My TJ when I went to 31's lost 5th gear and highway acceleration so I had it regeared to 3.73 and can easily accelerate uphill in 5th gear. You won't experience these issues with the pentastar with your Recon gears and 35's. Actually from a dead stop you may surprise a few people.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

The plastic bumpers in the JK needs to go, especially the front one, as some ppl call it 'the picnic bench'!!  So currently reading up and try to decide re bumpers with a tire carrier.  

I'm down to 2 options, and want to get the views of others here

Option 1:  AEV

* Premium Front Bumper

* Rear Bumper

* Tyre Carrier

* Skid plate

The AEV is defiantly a trusted brand, most of the JK owners on here have this setup.  Seems this is a lighter unit as its stamps from a single sheet of steel

Option 2: Rugged Ridge

* XHD Front Bumper

* XHD Rear Bumper

* XHD Tyre Carrier

The Rugged Ridge also looks good but don't come with a skid plate, but I like the modular setup to allow for various configurations

So questions

a) I read about the crush cans, but can't get a definite answer, do the UK JK have these, and how do they incorporate with these bumpers

b) My JK don't have front fog lights, can I / how difficult is it to wire these in

c) any regulation I should be aware off, as most of the websites warn ** Offroad Use Only **

What the view between these 2 options, or any other option I should consider

• Trade Member
2 hours ago, Arno said:

The plastic bumpers in the JK needs to go, especially the front one, as some ppl call it 'the picnic bench'!!  So currently reading up and try to decide re bumpers with a tire carrier.  

* Premium Front Bumper

* Rear Bumper

* Tyre Carrier

* Skid plate

The AEV is defiantly a trusted brand, most of the JK owners on here have this setup.  Seems this is a lighter unit as its stamps from a single sheet of steel

* XHD Front Bumper

* XHD Rear Bumper

* XHD Tyre Carrier

The Rugged Ridge also looks good but don't come with a skid plate, but I like the modular setup to allow for various configurations

So questions

a) I read about the crush cans, but can't get a definite answer, do the UK JK have these, and how do they incorporate with these bumpers

b) My JK don't have front fog lights, can I / how difficult is it to wire these in

c) any regulation I should be aware off, as most of the websites warn ** Offroad Use Only **

Arno, feel free to call me tomorrow if you want to chat over the above! Your vehicle will have factory fog lights, they are transferable to most bumpers. The AEV does have provisions for them. 

lastly if it helps we have AEV in stock and on the shelf and the Rugged Ridge is normally 2/3 day lead time should you prefer that route.

let me know if I can help! 

Thanks

• Platinum Member
22 hours ago, Arno said:

* Premium Front Bumper

* Rear Bumper

* Tyre Carrier

* Skid plate

* XHD Front Bumper

* XHD Rear Bumper

* XHD Tyre Carrier

So questions

From experience I’d go with the AEV front bumper. 

I replaced my jk front bumper with one from Quadretec’s in house brand, Tactik.  It’s very similar to the Rugged Ridge, in material.  Needless to say it lasted about 2 years. the powder coating was starting to come off, there was a little surface rust here and there. 

replaced it with AEV front bumper. Looking back I wished I had fitted the AEV first time round. 

• Thanks 1

• Platinum Member
On 09/10/2019 at 22:51, Buzz said:

Arno, feel free to call me tomorrow if you want to chat over the above! Your vehicle will have factory fog lights, they are transferable to most bumpers. The AEV does have provisions for them. 

lastly if it helps we have AEV in stock and on the shelf and the Rugged Ridge is normally 2/3 day lead time should you prefer that route.

let me know if I can help! 

Thanks

Hi Alex,

Thanks, I will give you a call this week to talk things through and see what's best route to go for

• 1 month later...
  • Platinum Member

Would like to say a huge thank you to Alex and his team at Buzz Special Vehicles for the amazing job they've done on my JK this week. Alex is extremely knowledgeable and able to provide valuable advice on my endless questions. 😉  He and his team were able to turnaround the build under 2 days.

I had the following done

* AEV 2.5" DualSport suspension lift kit

* AEV ProCal

* TeraFlex Tyre Carrier
* Rugged Ridge XHD Wheels

* 35" BFG MT KM3 Tyres

The workmanship is outstanding, and I am well impressed with the ride quality of this setup.  I would encourage anyone that is considering getting work done on their Jeep to contact Alex. 

• Like 2

• Platinum Member

Hi Arno,very good choice in lift and wheels/tyres,also you can’t go wrong in taking your jeep to Alex for the work to be done,looks very nice and I’m Very jealous 😡

• Platinum Member
55 minutes ago, TimC said:

Looks great Arno. Need to take it back for bumpers next though eh? 😉

I know right .. that current front bumber does look silly!!  

I'm still in 2 minds on what bumpers to get, but guess it will only be somewhere in the new year