Matt's JK

Matt

Thanks for the advice on bumper - going to change that next month hopefully for hard rock mopar, so probably re-locate then.  also Mic is not within the enclose on the front pillar, but stuck on - have you managed to get it in that space?

Pictures:

AVH1.jpg

AVH2.JPG

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Thanks for the advice on bumper - going to change that next month hopefully for hard rock mopar, so probably re-locate then.  also Mic is not within the enclose on the front pillar, but stuck on - have you managed to get it in that space?

Pictures:

AVH1.jpg

AVH2.JPG

The front pillar will come off to allow you to run the cable and mic behind if you want. I have run the mic up to the top of the pillar rather than the OEM location. If I remember rightly, there is little room for the new mic housing. Have a look for Rugged rigs get A pillar switch panels, they will have instructions on how to take the pillar off.

• Platinum Member
1 hour ago, Matt said:

Pictures:

AVH1.jpg

AVH2.JPG

It looks a much better head unit than the factory fit.  Screen looks nice and clear.   My only issue is the fit, and it seems to be the same with all after market units.  I just can't get round the two infill panels each side.

Matt, I'm interested in your choice of replacement rear bumper.  Are you importing the Mopar bumper from the US, or buying here in the UK?

Let me know as I've been looking for a Mopar front bumper

Fen, the infill panels don't look that bad in the flesh - the plastic is quite a good match.  It's not flush; which unless someone brings out a bigger head unit; I doubt any will be.

I'm looking at either importing it myself or asking the supplier and fitter of my overall build (suspension, etc) to add it on and pay the management costs.  I just prefer it to AEV, rugged ridge, ARB, etc and cost wise its about on a par.  Think you can use AEV tyre carrier with it too?

• Platinum Member

I've set the reversing lines up on the camera so the first set (furthest from camera) tell me I have enough room to open the tailgate door to let the dogs out, also the spare. The inner line is so the back of the UK lines up with a curb or parking space, if no dogs to worry about.

Simple

So having got the head unit sorted it's time to do the well travelled route on lift, tyres, etc.  Pretty much what I've decided (but grateful for any advice - pro or con) on is as follows:

• JKS 2.5" lift, fox shocks
  • Teraflex tyre carrier
  • mopar hard rock rear bumper
  • Fox performance steering stabiliser
  • 35 x 12.50 x 17 MT's - not much available; so its between Maxxis 764 and BFG KM3
  • AEV steering guard (£100 off at nene - think its a fire sale)

Also going to get under-seal (Dinitrol) before having the work done; Pro-Tect services in my village have an amazing set-up; saw it this afternoon; lots of classic porsches and rally cars getting done (and a waiting list until mid November).

• Platinum Member

Sounds good Matt. Are those really the only choices for tyres, have you looked at 315/70R17 as well?

3 hours ago, TimC said:

Sounds good Matt. Are those really the only choices for tyres, have you looked at 315/70R17 as well?

They're just that bit smaller all round; the options on 315 only really add the coopers; which I currently have the older versions of.  Leaning towards the KM3 - they get good reviews and a bit lighter.

31 minutes ago, Matt said:

They're just that bit smaller all round; the options on 315 only really add the coopers; which I currently have the older versions of.  Leaning towards the KM3 - they get good reviews and a bit lighter.

What about Wrangler Duratrac 315/70R17’s ?

• Platinum Member
1 hour ago, neal said:

What about Wrangler Duratrac 315/70R17’s ?

Lovely high mileage tyre quite on the highway and a pleasing tread pattern, got 40+ K on mine  and should be good for another 15K at least

Unfortunately not now being imported into UK apparently  due to the EU

Got this message from a suppler the other day...... 

"Under the current EU regulations, we are unable to import tires from the USA."

"I don’t think you will find the Goodyear branded tire for sale"

EUSSR barriers to free trade again .....  the sooner we get out the better 

Edited by BLUE STAR

• Platinum Member

Tyres Direct show General Grabber X3 Mud Terrains in 35x12.50/17 10 in stock at £166 each or Radar Renegade R7 MT at same size for £145 for another option.

• Platinum Member
3 hours ago, Matt said:

X3's don't do a 35 x 12.5 x 17 unfortunately - look like a good tyre.  The R7's get some shocking reviews..

BFGs it is I guess then Matt.

• 1 month later...

Alex finished up on the Jeep today (few minor bits still on order).  Gone for JKS 2.5" lift, 35x12.5x17 BFG KM3, Sprint-Booster, Rigid Task light, Terraflex Tyre carrier.  The rugged ridge locking wheel nuts had been tightened up too much by the local tyre place, resulting in Alex and his guys having to engineer a solution (through welding a nut on to each one) to remove them.

Not sure anyone else would have stuck at it, another good reference point for good customer service!

Amazed by the difference in the tyres from my 33" cooper STT's (not pro).  My mpg went up and the noise was almost un-noticeable - great for a mud tyre!  Some snaps below:

Jeep1.jpg

Jeep2.jpg

Jeep3.jpg

Jeep4.jpg

• Platinum Member

Looks really good now Matt, those tyres certainly do make a difference. Anvil is a great colour too, btw, I had not noticed the number plate before, that new too?

8 hours ago, Yellow said:

Yet another good review on the KM3s... tempting

Been running about in the jeep today, they genuinely are a revelation on the road, great wet grip, minimal noise and the mpg improved.  In terms of looks, I preferred the open country look, but they're growing on me

Good build options Matt.

Pulled together nicely by the Team at Buzz.

Out of curiosity what do you plan to use the two brackets attached to the rear window upper hinges?

I've got a smittybilt "defender" rack, and those plates are where it fixes to the roof at the back.  I'm just too lazy to ake them off! 

• Platinum Member

When I changed tyre size on one of my cars the speedo changed calibration (so 60 mph was actually 60mph and not 63 or whatever it was before), as you would expect, so wouldn't that make a difference to the calculated MPG, or did you use a GPS?

No through the trip computer.  But Pro-Cal for the 33's and then the 35's; based upon the better noise and general performance I thought it was down to less rolling resistance / weight.

• 5 months later...

ARB bumper that's been gathering dust since November installed.  Jeep feels different with the new weight introduced, bit more planted, less bouncy on the jks kit.  Pictures with and without rigid ignite reversing lights. 

DSC_0172.JPG

DSC_0174.JPG