3.0 V6 Diesel engine

frosty

• Platinum Member

has anyone watched the You**be video on the jeep 3.0 diesel engine strip down, i thought they were meant to be a good engine, i know the 4 cyl 2.5 had its issues but the v6 was supposed to be good, what are your views.

title of the Video---JUNK Jeep Ram 3.0 ECODIESEL Engine Teardown. Why Do These ALL Fail?

Ludders

I may be wrong, but when I was looking into a GC instead of the Wrangler, up to 2016 it was a bought in Mercedes unit. 2017 onwards is a Fiat/Alfa built engine... With a much worse reliability record. ๐Ÿซฃ

• Haha 1

• Platinum Member
jeepstertim

I follow the US Gladiator forums and there is always lots on the diesel 3.0, de-rating at high temps and then the stop manufacture due to fuel pump failures, I now believe they're pulling the engine completely.ย  it's a real shame as I'd love a diesel motor in mine.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
16 hours ago, Ludders said:

I may be wrong, but when I was looking into a GC instead of the Wrangler, up to 2016 it was a bought in Mercedes unit. 2017 onwards is a Fiat/Alfa built engine... With a much worse reliability record. ๐Ÿซฃ

Yes, i had a 3.0 diesel grand Cherokee with the Merc engine, it was a superb truck, economical and powerful, it is a shame they didn't put it in the wrangler,ย  i am very happy with my 2.8 VM engine, but the Merc unit was far better, i think they didn't use the Merc engine because the partnership with Mercedes (Chrysler / Benz) ended.

Has anyone here had any issues with the 3.0 V6 VM engine ?ย 

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

The WK2 (2011 on) has only ever used a 3.0 V6 jointly developed by FPT and VM. The Merc units were used in the previous generations. A 2.7 WJ was always a favourite of mine. I never understood why Jeep persisted with the 2.8 in the JK; the 2.7 or any of the 3.0 units would have transformed it. Might have even been cheaper, as the 2.8 was reportedly very expensive to build.

• Platinum Member
BLUE STAR
10 hours ago, frosty said:

Yes, i had a 3.0 diesel grand Cherokee with the Merc engine, it was a superb truck, economical and powerful, it is a shame they didn't put it in the wrangler,ย  i am very happy with my 2.8 VM engine, but the Merc unit was far better, i think they didn't use the Merc engine because the partnership with Mercedes (Chrysler / Benz) ended.

Has anyone here had any issues with the 3.0 V6 VM engine ?ย 

"Out of interest" , how many miles on your 2.8

Is it the pre DPF (like my 2007 April Build JK)

Have you fitted a Catch can or made any "adjustments" to the stock engine ?

• Platinum Member

Hi Frosty, I had a 2010 WK with 3.0L Merc for 8 years. Good engine, only issues were when I first bought it.

Glowplug module defunct made cold start difficult. 10minute to replace new one which dealer gave me!

There was also an oily smell which I traced to a leaking red seal which took a pipe from the oil breather into the 'Elephants Trunk' It was like a plug seal ( like a cork with a hole in it for the pipe) and simply wouldn't stay 'plugged in''! There was a modified trunk which Jeep offered for some ludicrous price (ยฃ300ish I think 9 years ago!)ย  I bought a new seal, wrapped a cable tie around it and another tieย  through that one and around the trunk. ' Bob's your uncle', no more problem for 8 years for a couple of quid!

One must be aware that the leaking oil goes down into the V and slowly destroys an expensive electric motorisedย  gizmo underneath the trunk. I'm sorry I can't remember what it was!

• Like 2

• Platinum Member
16 hours ago, BLUE STAR said:

"Out of interest" , how many miles on your 2.8

Is it the pre DPF (like my 2007 April Build JK)

Have you fitted a Catch can or made any "adjustments" to the stock engine ?

mine is the same build as yours, i think it has done about 80k now, a great deal of that has been off road, no mods except for a "tune it" booster, which i can recommend.ย 

• Platinum Member
Caroline12

One problem with the 2.7L 5cyl inline diesel in the WJ was they used plastic fuel pipes and clips from the fuel filter, LP pump, to HP pump and return lines. After 16-17 years the rubber seals fail and let air in.ย 
the plastic clips break, their is no diesel priming pump on the engine it has a ย vacuum unit to pull the fuel up ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™€๏ธ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™€๏ธ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™€๏ธ why.ย 
Mercedes sell the 3 new fuel hoses for ยฃ1000 on E bay, but you can buy the set for ยฃ110 from other sellers.ย 
@spookie the aardvarkย has a 2004 WJ waiting to be repaired for this plastic fuel line issue, I also fitted a fuel squeeze hand pump to prime the system in future, same as outboard motors type.ย 
ย 

I helped @Dasebaย fault find and mend his diesel WJ and got it working again.ย 
ย 

other problems are chaffing injectors, if it is cyl 5, you have to remove the engine because itโ€™s under the windscreen and you canโ€™t donโ€™t have room above the engine to do anything.ย 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• Platinum Member

before my 3.0 i had a new 2.7 Merc WJ, i only had it a year and did 30k miles in it then swapped it for the 3.0, it was a great truck, it is good to know there is a possible fix for the fuel pipes, i also heard of the problem with #5 injector.ย 

• Like 2

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

The injectors are a well known week spot on the 2.7 WJ engine. As @Caroline12has rightly said the fuel line system is just pants, you would expect better from Mercedes.

Have been told these were the same engines they fitted in the Sprinter vans so again you would expect betterย 

• Like 2

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

If there is an issue with #5 injector the two options are to either pay a lot of money to get the engine taken out and the problem fixed or scrap the vehicle ๐Ÿ˜ข๐Ÿ˜ข๐Ÿ˜ข๐Ÿ˜ข

• Sad 1

• Platinum Member

I've always fancied a WJ. Are there similar issues with the petrol 6 or V8 ie can't remove back plugs or something daft?

• Platinum Member

Hi Spooky, you might expect better from Merc, I'm not convinced. My German car experience has been poor. They seem to lean on past glory and modern branding and marketing in my opinion.

• Like 2

• Platinum Member
1 hour ago, digger said:

I've always fancied a WJ. Are there similar issues with the petrol 6 or V8 ie can't remove back plugs or something daft?

ย 

While a 2.7 WJ was definitely my choice back when they were new, I think today I'd rather have the I6. That was a rather niche choice back then, as most people either went diesel or the V8. The 4.7 I'm afraid I never really liked - it wasn't quite 'V8' enough for me, and my recollection is that it doesn't take well to LPG conversion. The 3.1 in my humble personal opinion was a dog's dinner of an engine, although I do remember @V quite liking the one he had on loan for a while.

ย 

I can't recall there being any specific issues with the 4.0 in a WJ. One downside, though, is that it doesn't come with the 45RFE with the two second gears. Instead it carried over the 42RE 4-speed from the ZJ.

• Like 2

• Platinum Member
Caroline12
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, digger said:

I donโ€™t know much, but to be honest the V8 engine is bullet proof, it still goes like the clappers when you floor it. You can get to all the plugs from my views of the engine bay, I do not see that being an issue. We recently changed the starter motor from underneaths with no issue.ย 
the alternator is at the top of the engine, sensible.ย 
to be honest, I have thought about getting one myself as another Jeep, bodywork is good and built like a tank.ย 

Edited by Caroline12
Spelling
  • Like 2

• Platinum Member
BLUE STAR
9 hours ago, frosty said:

mine is the same build as yours, i think it has done about 80k now, a great deal of that has been off road, no mods except for a "tune it" booster, which i can recommend.ย 

Got over 115,000 on mine now, still stock engine, only thing its had is premium dieselย  / variousย  additives over its life.

Did fit some silicone turbo intercooler pipes which made a difference.

Following Caroline12's suggestion been giving the Lucas upper cylinder lub a go, which seems to give it more smoothness & acceleration.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
3 hours ago, digger said:

Hi Digger, from what I have heard, but maybe wrong, the straight 6 was one of the best engines Jeep made.ย 

As for the V8 mine is 22 years old and apart from oil changes and @Caroline12ย boob cleaning the chassis underside, oooops ment changing the starter motor, nothing has been done to the engine. Ok it's a small block V8 but as @Caroline12 has rightly said it goes like greased weasel poo if you hit the loud pedal. It may not show but I do love my V8

• Like 2

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

Boob cleaning my chassis ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†

IMG_20240203_121911_221.jpg

IMG_20240203_121913_686.jpg

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
Posted (edited)

Hi Caroline, very becoming! Are those wooden ramps/blocks I see you using?ย  ย How high? Mine go up to 8 " and I've found a really cheap way of making them now!

Hi Spooky, the thing is every body raves about 6/7L V8s but/and....ย  I may be out of date!ย  I had the pleasure to do a little work involving a few rides etc etc, years ago, on both big and small block engined cars. In those days the motors were all cast iron and very heavy especially the big blocks. so ,although the biggies always had straight line grunt they often lost out to their lighter weight friends because of better handling etc

Edited by digger
  • Like 2

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

ย 

47 minutes ago, digger said:

Hi Caroline, very becoming! Are those wooden ramps/blocks I see you using?ย  ย How high? Mine go up to 8 " and I've found a really cheap way of making them now!

Hi Spooky, the thing is every body raves about 6/7L V8s but/and....ย  I may be out of date!ย  I had the pleasure to do a little work involving a few rides etc etc, years ago, on both big and small block engined cars. In those days the motors were all cast iron and very heavy especially the big blocks. so ,although the biggies always had straight line grunt they often lost out to their lighter weight friends because of better handling etc

ย 

No wooden ramps or blocks used, just the 2 inch lift on the Jeep, gives just enough room to work underneath. Tight but doable, especially if you have a Caroline ๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ˜„.

I know what you mean about the big block V8s. Really have found my small block makes me smile

• Like 2

• Platinum Member
Caroline12
3 hours ago, spookie the aardvark said:

Boob cleaning my chassis ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†

IMG_20240203_121911_221.jpg

IMG_20240203_121913_686.jpg

Thank you dear ๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿคฆโ€โ™€๏ธ๐Ÿคฆโ€โ™€๏ธ๐Ÿคฆโ€โ™€๏ธ๐Ÿคฆโ€โ™€๏ธ

• Haha 1

• Platinum Member
Caroline12
3 minutes ago, spookie the aardvark said:

ย 

ย 

No wooden ramps or blocks used, just the 2 inch lift on the Jeep, gives just enough room to work underneath. Tight but doable, especially if you have a Caroline ๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ˜„.

I know what you mean about the big block V8s. Really have found my small block makes me smile

No dear, it gives Caroline just enough space to work, while you pass me tools and play on your phone ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• Platinum Member
Caroline12
4 hours ago, BLUE STAR said:

Following Caroline12's suggestion been giving the Lucas upper cylinder lub a go, which seems to give it more smoothness & acceleration.

Iโ€™m glad itโ€™s working for you, Iโ€™m still using it and very happy with the results ๐Ÿ‘

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
BLUE STAR
49 minutes ago, Caroline12 said:

Iโ€™m glad itโ€™s working for you, Iโ€™m still using it and very happy with the results ๐Ÿ‘

Do you use it every fill ?