What would you like to see the Green Lane Association doing?

V

• Platinum Member
On 19/02/2024 at 11:17, UKTJ said:

I'm afraid I am very pessimistic about the future of Greenlanes.  When I threw in the towel and joined Facebook one of the groups I joined was a greenlaning group, that was a bit of an eye opener.  Loads of posts from people thinking their pictures of chewing up fields at the sides of lanes were hilarious.  People going on tougher lanes in completely unsuitable vehicles, getting stuck and then just leaving them dumped there.  Youtube is full of those videos as well, try posting a comment about the impact of such use and wait for the abuse to come back.  I am afraid there are simply too many bone headed morons using lanes now, you can't get through to these people with a logical argument, most are too stupid to be able to understand it.  I can't see how the days of Greenlanes are not numbered.

I think we have all joined the "send it brigade" for a few weeks and then leave those FB groups... Its a huge problem around the SPTA, and ppl still get annoyed when you report them to the wardens for doing sh*t than one day will close the area for us responsible drivers....

• Platinum Member
1 hour ago, UKTJ said:

Another point on moving away from GLASS, how does that work when the website is www.GLASS-UK.org? That is a bit confusing.

At the 4x4Expo I came across All Terrain UK, I had not heard of it before, but it looks a similar proposition to the GLA.  As far as I could see the three key differences being All Terrain do not have a twice yearly magazine, All Terrain said they organise members' events and All Terrain UK costs £30 a year (plus £5 joining fee in 1st year) versus £49 for the GLA.

They are quite active in the midlands - They do not do alot on the South / South West

• Area Representative
2 hours ago, UKTJ said:

Another point on moving away from GLASS, how does that work when the website is www.GLASS-UK.org? That is a bit confusing.

At the 4x4Expo I came across All Terrain UK, I had not heard of it before, but it looks a similar proposition to the GLA.  As far as I could see the three key differences being All Terrain do not have a twice yearly magazine, All Terrain said they organise members' events and All Terrain UK costs £30 a year (plus £5 joining fee in 1st year) versus £49 for the GLA.

Atuk and GLASS are different things.  Your money to Glass goes towards fighting to keep green lane opens including legal action and court cases etc. Glass is not a green lane club some reps organise events others dont. ATUk is more like a club in that it organise events like  taking you laning etc. Both organisations do help in their ares with green lane maintenance or writing to councils (i used to work closely with atuk in shropshire)but they dont legally fight. Glass membership gives you access to trailwise which is one of the best green lane tools out there.  Not sure what ATUK use anymore for lane maps. ATUk is busier in some areas than other.  GLASS reps arent obliged to organise anything for you.   Think that is a pretty balanced view of it. They both have their + and - depending what you want.  End of the day if Glass didnt fight green lane closures there would be less lanes for other clubs / groups to take you out on.

Edited by Stu2985
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Stu2985 said:

Atuk and GLASS are different things.  Your money to Glass goes towards fighting to keep green lane opens including legal action and court cases etc. Glass is not a green lane club some reps organise events others dont. ATUk is more like a club in that it organise events like  taking you laning etc. Both organisations do help in their ares with green lane maintenance or writing to councils (i used to work closely with atuk in shropshire)but they dont legally fight. Glass membership gives you access to trailwise which is one of the best green lane tools out there.  Not sure what ATUK use anymore for lane maps. ATUk is busier in some areas than other.  GLASS reps arent obliged to organise anything for you.   Think that is a pretty balanced view of it. They both have their + and - depending what you want.  End of the day if Glass didnt fight green lane closures there would be less lanes for other clubs / groups to take you out on.

That's interesting, thanks.  They were demonstrating a map tool, but it was a database of lanes rather than route planning, I also think info could be added to the tool by users if they had driven particular lanes.  No idea how good or up to date it is though.

• Area Representative
5 hours ago, UKTJ said:

That's interesting, thanks.  They were demonstrating a map tool, but it was a database of lanes rather than route planning, I also think info could be added to the tool by users if they had driven particular lanes.  No idea how good or up to date it is though.

Thats traiwlise 2 you are reffering to it is a database using OS mapping of ROW network with user comments.  It will not give you a live gps track of where you are.   I use TW2 to plan my routes then either create a route onto  memory map or the OS app itself.  The problem with any ROW software or databse is things can change that fast lanes can close or open or get blocked its nigh on impossible to keep a current and accurate list. Even councils own databases are often out of date.  Likewise its onyl as good as people wanting to comemnt.  However in my view its still best one out thereand its what I use.

Edited by Stu2985
  • Like 2

• Platinum Member
On 27/02/2024 at 18:05, Stu2985 said:

It will not give you a live gps track of where you are.

🙃🫢

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Stu2985 said:

Did they change it ?

I read that comment to mean "turning things on their head" plus "my lips are sealed".

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
Posted (edited)

You need a device with location services switched on to use the tracking feature. I believe it also works with a tethered device as long as the device displaying the map has location services switched on.

Click the 'scope sight' icon. (That's the round one in the lowest grey box).

here-is-the-gps-button.png.583cfe3ad2f55b6aa469676e28675607.png

That will pop up a menu.

Clicking either 'Locate me' or 'Track me'.

here-is-gps-submenu.png.00119b3a4510a7c4c5ab608e36e48737.png

There are some enhancements that are on the way, it's usable for confirming your position and progress, but it's not a turn-by-turn SatNav.

Try it, you will understand the 🙃 afterwards.

Another, feature improvement is the Highway Authority Layer. You can now see when a lane crosses into another highway authority. This is useful when you are locating yourself on a lane and want to find out which HA to report a problem to.

here-is-highway-authority-boundary.png

Edited by V
  • Like 1

• Area Representative
Stu2985

thats a great update to the system is TW2 an app now or is it still a web page ?

• Platinum Member
Black_box_jeep

The locate me function is useful, but relies on having a signal as it’s a web page only so not an offline map etc. 

• Platinum Member
7 hours ago, Stu2985 said:

thats a great update to the system is TW2 an app now or is it still a web page ?

It's still a web page.

However, I am investigating other options that have not been considered before.

The biggest issue is balancing the cost of TW2 enhancements against the cost of lane repairs and legal action.

Crowdfunding within the membership is an option once I have pinned down costs.

I have 63 other IT projects that I am prioritising this weekend.

• Area Representative
Stu2985
On 01/03/2024 at 20:41, V said:

It's still a web page.

However, I am investigating other options that have not been considered before.

The biggest issue is balancing the cost of TW2 enhancements against the cost of lane repairs and legal action.

Crowdfunding within the membership is an option once I have pinned down costs.

I have 63 other IT projects that I am prioritising this weekend.

biggest feedback I got when rep was most people join Glass to get TW2 access.  If we make an app or more user friendly then may encourage more peopeel to join offsetting the cost and boosting lane fighting fees.  Other than tw2 lot of people dont see it worth paying the fee for.

• Thanks 1

• Platinum Member
10 hours ago, Stu2985 said:

If we make an app or more user friendly then may encourage more peopeel to join offsetting the cost

I have worked out a way to economically resolve the technical obstacles to achieve this.

I haven't worked out the total project costs yet. Officially this isn't on anyone else's radar because of the huge cost and complexity involved, but it is on mine. I have it on my year 3 priorities at the moment. There is simply too much to do first in urgently needed improvements to expand our operations on the ground. A 3rd year priority doesn't mean I'm not working on it now, just that it's progressing slowly. This could be pulled forward when I have the full cost projections and when I can pitch a convincing business case for the investment.

An app would be a chargeable add-on because it will be installed from an app store. It would not be part of membership like TW2 is, and will still require membership (TW2) to enable it to work. It will not be self-standing. It will run fully enabled offline, but it will need to sync with TW2 at least once a month. I have to put a stick in the sand somewhere in order to establish a budget for development, infrastructure, comms, licensing, training and support. That guess is £30/yr extra for 2,000 members installing the app. That gives me some scope to juggle with if I can get away with breaking even in 3-years. The app price could come down after 3-years or when there are 2,000 app subscribers. These figures are my own personal guestimates, they are not confidential as it's not an official project, its just something that is in my mind. Anyone in the industry will be able to tell you that building and running the killer mobile app for green laning for less than 1/4 Million £ will be a significant challenge. This is why it hasn't been done yet.

I have thought about a compensatory package for the early adopters when the app price drops, which will be to add extra months equivalent to the price difference to their membership. This does mean that the association loses renewal revenue in those months but hopefully by then there will be more members due to the app that will offset the loss.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1