What would you like to see the Green Lane Association doing?

V

1 hour ago, Fireman Iain said:

I've recently been looking for a new car for my girlfriend. So GLA is a Mercedes model in my mind.

We settled on a Vauxhall Mokka e in the end. 2p per mile on a smart electric tariff, which is rather better than the 21p per mile i spend on diesel for my WK2..... sets the mind cogs turning....

I agree, once you do the maths it gets a bit scary.  I’m driving to Stafford for the 4x4Expo next weekend, which is about 150 miles each way.  In my TJ I get about 15mpg, so that is 20 gallons there and back at, what about £6.50 per gallon.  Unsurprisingly I’ll be going to the show in my wife’s Golf that does about 60mpg on a long run.  But even then it means the £12 for the ticket is pretty immaterial.

• Area Representative

I was a Glass rep and I can tell you the organisation needs a bloody good shake up. Saying that it is the only organisation for 4x4 and along with TRF that will fight lane closures.  The management keep themselves very shadowy and it needs to be more honest open and transparent over what it pays people and what they are doing and its assessts for the money.  I got one or 2 projects funded and not much help.

Getting rid of forum was a big mistake.  I cant be dealing with the management of it anymore so I just stepped down to become a member.  Dunno how you got in vince harder than the masons lol

Edited by Stu2985
  • Like 1

• Platinum Member

I know this is pie in the sky, it's difficult enough just trying to stop the few remaining lanes we do have from getting closed, but, if we are talking about wish lists, I'd like to see the association looking into ways that existing restricted byways could be reopened. Things like funding maintenance and repair, allowing access to limited numbers of vehicles only between certain dates maybe even tolls, although that is a slippery slope. Something to try to extend the lanes we have and reverse some of the damage of NERC rather than just fight the long defeat of losing lanes one at a time.

• Like 3

• Platinum Member
10 hours ago, TimC said:

I'd like to see the association looking into ways that existing restricted byways could be reopened.

I believe that the TRF have purchased a portion of land underneath the middle of a restricted byway and gained a legal wayleave for their members to access that piece of land via the restricted byway.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

Thank you all for your comments. The association's management team had a busy working weekend to discuss, plan and prioritise the year ahead. A lot of your ideas and criticism have been discussed and they are now helping to shape the association's future. We have a great deal of work ahead and there is a lot going on behind the scenes. Our new communications manager, Liz Parks will be releasing news as and when it is ready to announce. I hope over the course of 2024 you will notice how JOC members contributed and be inspired to get more involved.

• Like 4

• Platinum Member
21 hours ago, Stu2985 said:

Dunno how you got in vince harder than the masons lol

I saw how upset my friends in Shropshire were and I just asked the association what can I do to help.

In the session we had today we reviewed the association's mission statement. I said quite openly that my own selfish desire was to enjoy driving green lanes into my 80's. If the association's mission encapsulates my desire, I think it will satisfy every member's desire. It's what all of the association's members have in common, even if it's just transient for some. Rewriting our mission statement will help keep the decision making focused. The final version has yet to be agreed, but my colleagues have no doubt what my focus is.

• Like 2

• Platinum Member
8 hours ago, V said:

I believe that the TRF have purchased a portion of land underneath the middle of a restricted byway and gained a legal wayleave for their members to access that piece of land via the restricted byway.

That is a cunning plan! What a great piece of thinking to find alternative solutions.

• Like 2

• Platinum Member
Black_box_jeep

After a run out across some of the more sustainable local lanes this weekend I’d say that no matter how polite, responsible and considerate we are using lanes, some people are just ANTI. 

We stopped a few times to let walkers past in narrow sections and “smiled and waved” to be greeted by scowls and mumbles.
Ad we exited one lane, I was asked if I could read the sign “UNSUITABLE for motor vehicles”, I said, yes, but it is a byway (also well signposted) open to all traffic, so a legal road. He didn’t seem to understand the sign was meant to prevent “unsuitable” motor vehicles from getting stuck in it, and I didn’t want a roadside argument so bid him a polite farewell.
There were a few friendly faces but not as many as the unfriendly.
These are the people that Green lane association need to target with a bit of awareness amd understanding. We are very easy going but you can see how confrontational some of these people can be, and it would surely put some users off. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

On 17/02/2024 at 03:11, TimC said:

Is GLASS calling itself GLA now?

Looks like they gone Aussie ! Everything gets shortened 

Maybe they should rename the whole thing soming simple like just Byway or "ontrack" 

• Haha 1

• Platinum Member
Black_box_jeep
4 minutes ago, stewart said:

Maybe they should rename the whole thing soming simple like just Byway or "ontrack" 

I just thought of Alf in Home and Away calling everyone a “great Galla”

• Platinum Member
Caroline12
15 minutes ago, Black_box_jeep said:

After a run out across some of the more sustainable local lanes this weekend I’d say that no matter how polite, responsible and considerate we are using lanes, some people are just ANTI. 

We stopped a few times to let walkers past in narrow sections and “smiled and waved” to be greeted by scowls and mumbles.
Ad we exited one lane, I was asked if I could read the sign “UNSUITABLE for motor vehicles”, I said, yes, but it is a byway (also well signposted) open to all traffic, so a legal road. He didn’t seem to understand the sign was meant to prevent “unsuitable” motor vehicles from getting stuck in it, and I didn’t want a roadside argument so bid him a polite farewell.
There were a few friendly faces but not as many as the unfriendly.
These are the people that Green lane association need to target with a bit of awareness amd understanding. We are very easy going but you can see how confrontational some of these people can be, and it would surely put some users off. 

I always wave and say thank you, sometimes I wave Duncan Duck’s wing IMG_2636.thumb.jpeg.311b14254b6c829d33608d3ac13c0b04.jpeg(driving companion) at the children to make they smile 😊 

I do get some miserable people, who have to move over at times, but not many, some people are just miserable 🤷‍♀️

• Sad 1

• Administrators

ad10d8a1068affe5c910436a77733363.jpg

10 minutes ago, Black_box_jeep said:

I just thought of Alf in Home and Away calling everyone a “great Galla”

• Haha 1

• Platinum Member
Caroline12

For me, I was told about glass and I looked at them, for whatever reason I decided not to join, could be cost, it just came over as rather distant, it just didn’t appear. 

now I understand farmers and others shutting lanes to stop people using them, and you have byways  with no access to them or 2 ends of a byway with the middle blocked or not a byway. Which is rather confusing or awkward, it just means that route can be used. Luckily Wiltshire and parts of Dorset is ok for byways, especially Salisbury plain. But some old paths and routes get very over grown and scratchy, the tracks are good. But then the council come in clear the overgrowth and stone chip the track, so it’s car suitable, all the fun is then removed.  Bit of a dilemma their, good track or very overground 🤷‍♀️ 

GLA just did not inspire me to join or get involved 🤷‍♀️

• Like 2

• Platinum Member
Black_box_jeep
28 minutes ago, Caroline12 said:

For me, I was told about glass and I looked at them, for whatever reason I decided not to join, could be cost, it just came over as rather distant, it just didn’t appear. 

now I understand farmers and others shutting lanes to stop people using them, and you have byways  with no access to them or 2 ends of a byway with the middle blocked or not a byway. Which is rather confusing or awkward, it just means that route can be used. Luckily Wiltshire and parts of Dorset is ok for byways, especially Salisbury plain. But some old paths and routes get very over grown and scratchy, the tracks are good. But then the council come in clear the overgrowth and stone chip the track, so it’s car suitable, all the fun is then removed.  Bit of a dilemma their, good track or very overground 🤷‍♀️ 

GLA just did not inspire me to join or get involved 🤷‍♀️

Most of the tracks that get the council in to grade them are damaged beyond normal levels by people that use them with the intention of getting stuck, spinning tyres and facing a challenge. Voluntary restraints, temporary restrictions etc are used at times to allow lanes to recover, or prevent damage so that they survive without being graded etc, but these don’t stop the idiots and then it’s a case of grade it or close it. We’ve lost local lanes for the same reasons, despite all the efforts of GLA and locals. I’d rather have a graded lane open than no lanes at all. 

as usual there’s always the small minority ruining it for the responsible users. The annoying part is, closing lanes to everyone doesn’t stop the idiots who will break through gates and fences or drive down bridelways/ footpaths etc anyway. 

One benefit of GLA is the map with byways, UCRs and information about their status and the chance to update if you’ve found an issue or concern.

• Thanks 1

• Administrators

Surrey Hills was a great trip we dd a few times in JOC  normally on  Sundays to avoid confrontation ! There was also a couple of Small sections in Kent that used a permit scheme that was free you just registered ? Is that now gone?

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
Black_box_jeep

I think the one in Kent might be Pilgrims way and still operated the permit setup (haven’t been but did a bit of research for a planned trip). 

Surrey Hills is still a good day out but is hit and miss on whether you meet all the grumps or all the jolly folk. 

Your pic looks like it may have been up the lane that got really torn up and is now a fairly level gravel track but still very scenic and a nice drive.

IMG_1426.jpeg

IMG_3047.jpeg

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
Black_box_jeep
1 hour ago, stewart said:

Pic from Surrey Hills ! 

DSC05645.jpegy

IMG_1429.jpeg

1 hour ago, Black_box_jeep said:

Most of the tracks that get the council in to grade them are damaged beyond normal levels by people that use them with the intention of getting stuck, spinning tyres and facing a challenge. Voluntary restraints, temporary restrictions etc are used at times to allow lanes to recover, or prevent damage so that they survive without being graded etc, but these don’t stop the idiots and then it’s a case of grade it or close it. We’ve lost local lanes for the same reasons, despite all the efforts of GLA and locals. I’d rather have a graded lane open than no lanes at all. 

as usual there’s always the small minority ruining it for the responsible users. The annoying part is, closing lanes to everyone doesn’t stop the idiots who will break through gates and fences or drive down bridelways/ footpaths etc anyway. 

One benefit of GLA is the map with byways, UCRs and information about their status and the chance to update if you’ve found an issue or concern.

I'm afraid I am very pessimistic about the future of Greenlanes.  When I threw in the towel and joined Facebook one of the groups I joined was a greenlaning group, that was a bit of an eye opener.  Loads of posts from people thinking their pictures of chewing up fields at the sides of lanes were hilarious.  People going on tougher lanes in completely unsuitable vehicles, getting stuck and then just leaving them dumped there.  Youtube is full of those videos as well, try posting a comment about the impact of such use and wait for the abuse to come back.  I am afraid there are simply too many bone headed morons using lanes now, you can't get through to these people with a logical argument, most are too stupid to be able to understand it.  I can't see how the days of Greenlanes are not numbered.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

• Platinum Member
Black_box_jeep

Terry, I think I joined and left that same group within a couple of weeks for the same reasons. 
It’s similar on a Greenlane recovery group. Helpful people ask for an accurate location which then turns out to be off piste/ illegal or similar and then the guy offering help gets shot down for refusing to help without landowners permission etc.

What’s slightly annoying is that they close lanes due to off piste/ anti social behaviour but they don’t shut pubs after a fight, they don’t shut supermarkets after shoplifting, etc etc

• Platinum Member
16 minutes ago, UKTJ said:

I'm afraid I am very pessimistic about the future of Greenlanes.  When I threw in the towel and joined Facebook one of the groups I joined was a greenlaning group, that was a bit of an eye opener.  Loads of posts from people thinking their pictures of chewing up fields at the sides of lanes were hilarious.  People going on tougher lanes in completely unsuitable vehicles, getting stuck and then just leaving them dumped there.  Youtube is full of those videos as well, try posting a comment about the impact of such use and wait for the abuse to come back.  I am afraid there are simply too many bone headed morons using lanes now, you can't get through to these people with a logical argument, most are too stupid to be able to understand it.  I can't see how the days of Greenlanes are not numbered.

Absolutely agree with you Terry. The days of green lanes are definitely numbered. However, on less pessimistic side the number might be larger than we think. Back in the last century when I started green laning lanes were being closed down and we had all of the same problems with antis we do today. I was fairly sure that by the beginning of this century they'd all be gone. Whilst we did lose a huge amount of them thanks to NERC ( I can't remember the percentage but I think it was over half ) there are still plenty to go at and I probably do more laning now than I did then. The difference is that now I have to travel much further to get to them and to get from one lane or group of lanes to another, there are hardly any local to me now. This has actually meant that I do lanes that I wouldn't have really considered doing before because of the distance. So they are going, but slowly.

However your point about the idiots is a good one. There were idiots back in the day too, ones that went off piste and ignored voluntary or statutory restraints. Now, though, we have the internet, God Bless it, and social media which means that the idiots can "show off" their stupidity for all to see.  

• Like 2

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Black_box_jeep said:

I think the one in Kent might be Pilgrims way and still operated the permit setup (haven’t been but did a bit of research for a planned trip). 

Yes that was the one there was a section that got shut down for a bit even police patrolled up there too due to it getting turned into a mini off road site! 

• Like 1

• Administrators
16 minutes ago, stewart said:

Pilgrims way

On the Pilgrims way large parts are bituminised while other sections are still part of that old track but still a byway that is simply a track that was never bituminised? Yet so many people get bent out of shape over this ! 

• Platinum Member
15 hours ago, stewart said:

GLA is not an ideal acronym, but you can have fun with it thinking of alternative coded meanings in the style of 'fubar' and 'snafu'.

Edited by V

Another point on moving away from GLASS, how does that work when the website is www.GLASS-UK.org? That is a bit confusing.

At the 4x4Expo I came across All Terrain UK, I had not heard of it before, but it looks a similar proposition to the GLA.  As far as I could see the three key differences being All Terrain do not have a twice yearly magazine, All Terrain said they organise members' events and All Terrain UK costs £30 a year (plus £5 joining fee in 1st year) versus £49 for the GLA.