INEOS grenadier

frosty

• Platinum Member

what is everyone thinking about the Ineos Grenadier, it certainly looks like a top truck, and the price is very appealing, i like the cab interior, for me it is what Jeep should be building, it is a great speck, i just don't know about the build quality, has anyone looked around one.

i have sold my TJ and my WG, just my JK off road toy left my 4x4 garage, and the Ineos would be an ideal truck to fill the gap.  

• Platinum Member
1 hour ago, frosty said:

what is everyone thinking about the Ineos Grenadier, it certainly looks like a top truck, and the price is very appealing, i like the cab interior, for me it is what Jeep should be building, it is a great speck, i just don't know about the build quality, has anyone looked around one.

i have sold my TJ and my WG, just my JK off road toy left my 4x4 garage, and the Ineos would be an ideal truck to fill the gap.  

Alex at Buzz Special Vehicles have had a test drive in it. They also have had a few in for modifications. 

Check out their Instagram page 

https://www.instagram.com/buzz_special_vehicles?igshid=NzZlODBkYWE4Ng==

Not had a close look, but starting to see a few more on the road locally so they are presumably making some inroads into potential Defender and Wrangler buyers.  But I suspect I would see even more of them if we were not in a bit of a black hole in terms of a local dealer.  My guess is a lot of potential customers near me would be put off by an hours drive to get serviced.

Edited by UKTJ

• Platinum Member

there is a lot for sale on Auto Trader, yes i think they will appeal to the defender Croud, in particular farmers. i come back from China next week for 2 weeks, i will go drive one. 

32 minutes ago, frosty said:

there is a lot for sale on Auto Trader, yes i think they will appeal to the defender Croud, in particular farmers. i come back from China next week for 2 weeks, i will go drive one. 

Interesting to hear how you find it.

The few farmers I know moved to pick-ups a while back and don't seem interested in switching to anything else now, I know of one local guy with a Defender, but he hasn't really farmed for years, just takes a big pile of money each year for leaving land fallow.  I see most Grenadiers in the school car park at local independent schools for drop of and pick up.  I suspect very few will see any off-road use.  Of course, may vary in different areas.

• Platinum Member
1 hour ago, UKTJ said:

Not had a close look, but starting to see a few more on the road locally so they are presumably making some inroads into potential Defender and Wrangler buyers.  But I suspect I would see even more of them if we were not in a bit of a black hole in terms of a local dealer.  My guess is a lot of potential customers near me would be put off by an hours drive to get serviced.

Most Jeep dealers are at least an hour from our location, however our favoured dealer Unit are 1 1/2 hour's drive, but worth it!

Edited by Surfer

• Platinum Member
On 14/12/2023 at 12:30, frosty said:

what is everyone thinking about the Ineos Grenadier

It's not quite as iconic as the Wrangler 😊

• Platinum Member

There is a grenadier garage in Dorchester, seen them for over a year now there, next to Lidl.

the garage is a shipping container office 😆😆😆 with a few vehicles.

personally, I find them ugly, a mix mash of ideas and designs, Defender/G-Wagon. 

Im sure for some people it’s perfect and for others the name/badge/rarity snob value fits their view of themselves and what they want to project. 

im not surprised farmers aren’t interested, the pick ups with back cover is very versatile and probably a lot more comfortable to drive and for passengers. Cost is pretty reasonable too for pickups, compared to a new defender type vehicle’s.

how the grenadier drives and behaves, no idea, but I’m sure it is very good off road and very capable. I’m sure in the right hands and set up it would be fantastic. 
For the majority it will be a a pavement princess 👸 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Caroline12 said:

There is a grenadier garage in Dorchester, seen them for over a year now there, next to Lidl.

the garage is a shipping container office 😆😆😆 with a few vehicles.

personally, I find them ugly, a mix mash of ideas and designs, Defender/G-Wagon. 

Im sure for some people it’s perfect and for others the name/badge/rarity snob value fits their view of themselves and what they want to project. 

im not surprised farmers aren’t interested, the pick ups with back cover is very versatile and probably a lot more comfortable to drive and for passengers. Cost is pretty reasonable too for pickups, compared to a new defender type vehicle’s.

The farmers don't tend to focus on comfort, for them it is about load lugging practicality.  Most pick ups are still a step away from a modern car, they need to be able to carry a tonne to be considered commercial vehicles (important for tax and another reason to have one rather than a Grenadier) and that I am sure results in some compromises with the suspension.

12 hours ago, Caroline12 said:

how the grenadier drives and behaves, no idea, but I’m sure it is very good off road and very capable. I’m sure in the right hands and set up it would be fantastic. 
For the majority it will be a a pavement princess 👸 

The ones I see are almost all being used for the school run, so rarely see mud I am sure.  But then I am sure that is also true for Wranglers and Defenders.

There is an offroad event near me on 27th that I was thinking of going to, I saw on FB last night that somebody is taking a Grendadier to it.  If I go I'll try and get close to it when it is offroad and report back.

• Platinum Member

Hiya Frosty, I know the guy who wheels with MJUK in his Grenadier, it was at mine for a few days whilst he was working and it's a beast, I had a good nosey. Makes the JL look quite small. He couldn't rate it high enough, looked like a proper workhorse. Good towing capacity too.... 

• Like 2

Andrew St Pierre White just got his hands on a Grenadier and has gone into an in-depth review on his channel. 

Edited by slammedeluxe

• 3 weeks later...

Another YouTube review of the Grenadier here...

Grenadier Review

It includes an interview with the head of Ineos Automotive for AsiaPac which I found interesting.  There is also a funny moment towards the end which is worth watching and which I won't spoil.

What was really interesting to me was that though they spoke a fair few times about other competitor vehicles, but never once did they mention Jeep.  They even referenced that the Grenadier has solid axles and four link + panhard suspension with front and rear lockers, then went on to say there is nothing else like that on the market.  It seems that for these Aussie 4x4 enthusiats the JL Wrangler Rubicon doesn't even exist!

Edited by UKTJ

• Platinum Member

great review, everyone seems to like them, i did get that they don't mention the Jeep wrangler, but i gather that the guy's doing the review are Toyota guys. 

i am back in China now and heading to Philippines in 2 weeks for 5 months, i didn't get to drive a Grenadier, but i did buy a Jaguar F Pace SVR 5-liter V8, maybe next time i get home. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, frosty said:

great review, everyone seems to like them, i did get that they don't mention the Jeep wrangler, but i gather that the guy's doing the review are Toyota guys. 

i am back in China now and heading to Philippines in 2 weeks for 5 months, i didn't get to drive a Grenadier, but i did buy a Jaguar F Pace SVR 5-liter V8, maybe next time i get home. 

Yeah I get that the focus may be on Toyotas, but they did speak about the G Wagen a bit.  It was more that they were speaking of the Grenadier's twin locked, solid axles, five link suspension as if it were unique, it was almost like they didn't even know the Wrangler existed.  If they'd been negative about the Wrangler because they are Toyota guys that would be one thing, but to act as if it simply does not exist does not say mich for Jeep in Australia.  But I guess it shouldn't be a surprise to me, I have thought for a while that Jeep will not bother to engineer RHD versions of future Wranglers, so why push the JL now if you won't be selling Wranglers in RHD markets in a few years time.

• Platinum Member

i don't think Jeep are really interested in selling Wranglers, they just want to think they are a high end manufacturer, which they are not, they are forgetting what jeep were known for, good quality rugged reliable reasonably priced vehicles.

Trying to change their image has been a disaster, they have lost a huge share of the market, such a shame for my what was my favorite brand. 

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

Don't get me wrong, i still love my JK, it is my best ever vehicle and all-round truck, it is the only vehicle i have kept for so long (17 years) but it cannot be compared to what the manufacture now.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
Caroline12
13 minutes ago, frosty said:

i don't think Jeep are really interested in selling Wranglers, they just want to think they are a high end manufacturer, which they are not, they are forgetting what jeep were known for, good quality rugged reliable reasonably priced vehicles.

Trying to change their image has been a disaster, they have lost a huge share of the market, such a shame for my what was my favorite brand. 

I haven’t t known the Jeep brand a long time, only a few years, but I always liked them.

i have seen the price of them go so out of reach a new Jeep is just unaffordable for me, and I earn a decent wage. 
one thing that has become very noticeable is the number of Renegades on the road, but very few in the club. I heard the Renegade is the best selling Jeep and helping to keep the Jeep brand alive in the UK, the new owners just aren’t interested in the club or off-roading. As 1 of the very few Renegades that actually goes off road, I find it rather disappointing. 
on the other hand my “Daisy Duck” 🐥 is quite unique 🥰

• Platinum Member

Hat's off to you Caroline for persevering, and you jeep is a great truck, the reason the Renegade is one of the best selling jeeps is that it is relatively affordable as opposed to all the other jeeps which are totally overpriced, as i said earlier, and also by many on this forum, jeep have simply got it wrong with the marketing and pricing of their vehicles, also i don't think the quality is there after the Fiat input. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Platinum Member
BLUE STAR
On 07/01/2024 at 12:00, frosty said:

Don't get me wrong, i still love my JK, it is my best ever vehicle and all-round truck, it is the only vehicle i have kept for so long (17 years) but it cannot be compared to what the manufacture now.

Yep mines a 2007 build also, but registered in 2009

A lot less electrical components to go wrong. (fingers crossed)

I wonder if Daimler Chrysler sourced better parts for the initial batch's of JK's ?

There's a guy on JK Forums in the US and he's reached 380,000 on his mini van 3.8 V6 & still going strong.

Although he had a 'life time warranty' from JEEP which has changed out many parts, u-joints, drive shafts etc including the  auto trans., which you would expect at that mileage, but all parts & labour included.

Never seen that type of warranty offered over here ?

On 07/01/2024 at 12:21, Caroline12 said:

I haven’t t known the Jeep brand a long time, only a few years, but I always liked them.

i have seen the price of them go so out of reach a new Jeep is just unaffordable for me, and I earn a decent wage. 
one thing that has become very noticeable is the number of Renegades on the road, but very few in the club. I heard the Renegade is the best selling Jeep and helping to keep the Jeep brand alive in the UK, the new owners just aren’t interested in the club or off-roading. As 1 of the very few Renegades that actually goes off road, I find it rather disappointing. 
on the other hand my “Daisy Duck” 🐥 is quite unique 🥰

I think there may have been some discussion on this previously, but a quick search does not lead me to it.  Renegade sales are probably the highest in the Jeep portfolio, but the number of Renegades on the road in total is very much driven by very high sales around 2016 when the vast majority of Renegades evr sold in the UK were registered.  Sales in subsequent years, when prices rose, were significantly lower.

• Platinum Member
Caroline12
14 minutes ago, UKTJ said:

I think there may have been some discussion on this previously, but a quick search does not lead me to it.  Renegade sales are probably the highest in the Jeep portfolio, but the number of Renegades on the road in total is very much driven by very high sales around 2016 when the vast majority of Renegades evr sold in the UK were registered.  Sales in subsequent years, when prices rose, were significantly lower.

IMG_4752.thumb.png.f3c95a30989c27028916c91b995101ab.png
no comment 🤷‍♀️🤣🤣🤣🤣

1 hour ago, Caroline12 said:

IMG_4752.thumb.png.f3c95a30989c27028916c91b995101ab.png
no comment 🤷‍♀️🤣🤣🤣🤣

I wasn't disputing that Renegades are the most common Jeep, I just didn't have the info to hand.  My point was that the number of Renegades on the road is driven in part by bumper sales in the first two years of sales.  There are more Renegades on the road registered in 2016 than there are from the following six years combined.

rel_000151.png.77ec311873370e8000ca207a891aa386.png

But it isn't surprising that there are more Renegades than any other Jeep, simplistically because they were the cheapest Jeep on sale at the time.  I also don't think it is a huge surprise that a smaller proportion of Renegade owners are interested in going offroad.  This really goes to the point @frosty made about Jeep trying to change what the brand stands for.  And to bring this back on topic, the same move by Land Roover with the Defender is what has made room for the Grenadier.

• Like 2

• Platinum Member
jeepstertim

Drifting back to the Grenadier, there was a new clip on YouTube last night by What Car looking to identify the best 4x4.  Both Grenadier and Wrangler (amongst others) were included with these 2 being very much pitched against each other.  

The Wrangler won outright and I think the video highlighted the poor ground clearance the Grenadier has.  I think I have said previously, I admire what Sir Jim has done with creating the Grenadier but it's not for me, nor the Quartermaster pick up version.

• Like 1