TransCantabric 2024

stinger108

• Platinum Member

I won't know until next year. I've got dates to synchronise with a family member's schedule and an off-road course to build which could well be in April.

• Platinum Member
2 hours ago, V said:

I won't know until next year. I've got dates to synchronise with a family member's schedule and an off-road course to build which could well be in April.

won't be any problem for a late confirmation for ferries and hotels. hope you can finally join

• Like 1

The second set of dates would be nice, as it means we would be able to travel with others.  But if only the original dates work we can still make these, just that we would likely go out on the earlier ferry and have to rush back for the Saturday return.  But ultimately the best option will be the one that makes it possible for most people to come.

3 hours ago, V said:

@V if the offroad course is for NG24 I will do my best to make time to come and help.  Many hands make light work, which would hopefully mean that work would not come between you and this trip.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

I'd help. I might be a bit rusty but I used to be good with various kinds of diggers/dumpers etc and some experience with bulldozers too!  I still have a JCB but its in France! ☹️

I still have a lot of hand tools , surveying kit etc but I am past much of the manual bit now.

Edited by digger

• 3 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

I have worked out the draft route. Dates are based on the feedback received.

Th 18/4 Donostia - Bilbao 104 miles

Fr 19/4 Bilbao - Puente Viesgo 96 miles

Sa 20/4 Puente Viesgo - Fuente De 95 miles

Su 21/4 Fuente De - Pola de Laviana 89 miles

Mo 22/4 Pola de Laviana - Pravia 109 miles

Tu 23/4 Pravia - A Veiga 104 miles

We 24/4 A Veiga - O Pereiro 109 miles

Th 25/4 O Pereiro - Santiago de Compostela 38 miles

Fr 26/4 Santiago de Compostela - Finisterre 67 miles

Then 26/4 afternoon motorway drive to Ribadeo (160 miles), sleep in Ribadeo and 27/4 motorway drive to Santander (190 miles) for ferry on Saturday 1pm.

Screenshot2023-10-20at15_40_01.thumb.png.c54106b34280c8c208b65d554155ca72.png

I will be looking for hotels next week and happy to book for anyone else (up to 5 not be considered a group) in booking.com that can be cancelled up to 24 hours before the date.

Edited by stinger108
wrong dates
  • Like 2

• Platinum Member

Fantastic effort Ignacio. I shall study it all over the weekend and find out whether I have a passenger or not? I'd be up for the hotel bookings!

Get back to you soon. 🤠

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

Passenger needed.

Hi Everyone, bad news for me. My passenger can't make it! 

I'm trying hard to find another and will place a  separate post on JOC and JT. If anyone reading this is interested in seeing  Cantabria by coming along  with me as passenger /codriver  please speak up asap.  You would be responsible for your accommodation and food/drink. Any  other costs by voluntary negotiation. So you could have quite a cheap trip. I may take a slightly longer return home in order to take it easy.

My only other option is to be a passenger with some one else . I am physically incapable of driving this distance in the time on my own!  Are any of you who kindly suggested this still able to do so? Of course , I would expect to pay my fair share!

Alternatively is there anyone else who would be interested in joining us on this fantastic trek bearing in mind they would be halving the cost of their trip.

Edited by digger

• Platinum Member
On 20/10/2023 at 16:02, stinger108 said:

I have worked out the draft route. Dates are based on the feedback received.

Th 18/4 Donostia - Bilbao 104 miles

Fr 19/4 Bilbao - Puente Viesgo 96 miles

Sa 20/4 Puente Viesgo - Fuente De 95 miles

Su 21/4 Fuente De - Pola de Laviana 89 miles

Mo 22/4 Pola de Laviana - Pravia 109 miles

Tu 23/4 Pravia - A Veiga 104 miles

We 24/5 A Veiga - O Pereiro 109 miles

Th 25/6 O Pereiro - Santiago de Compostela 38 miles

Fr 26/6 Santiago de Compostela - Finisterre 67 miles

Then 26/4 afternoon motorway drive to Ribadeo (160 miles), sleep in Ribadeo and 27/4 motorway drive to Santander (190 miles) for ferry on Saturday 1pm.

Screenshot2023-10-20at15_40_01.thumb.png.c54106b34280c8c208b65d554155ca72.png

I will be looking for hotels next week and happy to book for anyone else (up to 5 not be considered a group) in booking.com that can be cancelled up to 24 hours before the date.

Looks great- But those dates suggest its over 3 months?

Im assuming you mean 18 of April until the 26th April?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, doodle said:

Good spot 😂

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
11 hours ago, doodle said:

oh-deer.gif.422b1428edc38e0e4b13f3743fe02e7e.gif

dates were correct if you fancy 3 months of holidays in sunny Spain 😜, else dates have been corrected.

thanks @doodle for the notice

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Platinum Member

Passenger/co driver needed.

Hi Stinger, do not give up on me yet. I have looked carefully at your routes and bearing in mind there are your 'short cuts' if needed, I am prepared to do it on my own if necessary. However I would  go a little early perhaps, but certainly extend the return journey by one  maybe two nights.

• Platinum Member
3 hours ago, UKTJ said:

Hi @stinger108, I don't appear to have the right software to open this file.  Is it possible to save it as a pdf and repost?

It would be of little use to you as a PDF as it is in XML with a schema for navigation software.

You can use this tool to view GPX files by importing the GPX to create a 'Leaflet' map.

https://www.gpsvisualizer.com/map_input?form=leaflet

• Platinum Member

@V is right (as usual).

I use Gaia GPS https://www.gaiagps.com/ it is a free web service with basic maps and for £50 a year you can use many other layers (Topo, satellite, etc). works across devices phone, iPad, web and also with CarPlay. also the mobile app records your own tracks when driving. really good and power piece of software (map details shows even the gates on the tracks) 

The option I use to edit tracks is gpx studio https://gpx.studio free and web based you can edit, split, and merge tracks.

if you prefer on an app you can download google earth or Garmin base camp, both for free.

• Platinum Member

Ok, I'm still up for doing this amazing trip which Stinger has planned so well. I'm building the plan around having no passenger but would dearly like someone to join me,  so  passenger seat (new comfy KJ seat) is still vacant! All applicants welcome.

I will probably go out with the majority but will return by a slower coastal route staying over for 2/3 nights along the way. Stinger tells me the coast is wonderful with super local food as well!  Sounds gr8!  So anyone interested in doing the same let me or Stinger know, so accom etc can be booked up. 

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
5 hours ago, digger said:

Ok, I'm still up for doing this amazing trip which Stinger has planned so well. I'm building the plan around having no passenger but would dearly like someone to join me,  so  passenger seat (new comfy KJ seat) is still vacant! All applicants welcome.

I will probably go out with the majority but will return by a slower coastal route staying over for 2/3 nights along the way. Stinger tells me the coast is wonderful with super local food as well!  Sounds gr8!  So anyone interested in doing the same let me or Stinger know, so accom etc can be booked up. 

Phil, I would love to come with you on what looks like an amazing expedition, either as passenger/co driver or in my Jeep. I hope you get something sorted and find somebody who can help out it would be a shame to miss it. Sadly it's just too many days away for me to commit to I'm afraid.

• Sad 1