Modified Jeeps UK - Jeeps ‘n’ Java CampOut, 12th -13th of August 2023, Nash Oakland Wild Camping, Powys

TonyandAneta

• Platinum Member
TonyandAneta

We are beyond excited to announce a new series of MJUK events - Jeeps ’n’ Java.

Both Tony and I are avid coffee lovers and know quite a few of you guys are too. We couldn’t see a better way of bringing two of our favourite things together - Jeeps and coffee. 

The first of these events is Jeeps ’n’ Java CampOut, which will take place on Sunday 13th of August at Nash Oakland and surrounding areas, with camping available on Saturday 12th and Sunday 13th of August. 

What’s the plan you ask? 

We’re hoping most of you will be able to come to Nash Oakland on Saturday afternoon/evening and camp over.

Sunday is the main event day - Starting with a coffee morning at Nash Oakland, around 9.30am, where you will get a chance to meet like minded people, check out each others Jeeps, everyones various methods of making trail coffee and just generally have a good time! A couple of hours later we will set off in groups to explore the stunning green lanes of Powys: Water Break Its Neck, Black Yatt and others are on the menu. 

EVENT SCHEDULE

Saturday 12th of August

Camping at Nash Oakland

Sunday 13th of August

Coffee morning Nash Oakland 

Green laning - Powys area

Camping at Nash Oakland

Tickets/pricing

Jeeps ’n’ Java tickets £30 (one per Jeep)

camping to be paid separately to Nash Oakland at £10 per person per night 

BUY TICKETS HERE 

https://www.modifiedjeeps.uk/shop/p/jeeps-n-java-campout-summer-2023

Important info: 

We know a lot of Jeepers are passionate about different ways of making a hot brew. We will be interested to check out everyones ways of making a hot cuppa! It’s a ‘BYOB’ bring your own beans kinda party, so make sure you have your own water etc. (if you’re really not equipped to make a coffee we will be happy to make a couple of extra coffees in our Jeep)

Nash Oakland is a wild camping style site meaning there is no facilities such as showers or toilet. We will however have a portaloo in our field. 

Camping to be paid separately £10 per person per night, payable at the farm house upon arrival (what3words: encounter.skillet.fork)

We will have Jeeps ’n’ Java tees available to buy at the event, and some coffee mugs obviously. Please bring cash with you!

Phone service and internet may be limited in this area, so it’s a good idea to download a map with some waypoints just in case. 

Most of the green lanes we planned for the day are scenic and fairly easy going. There will be a couple of bonus lanes for the thrill seekers/more modified Jeeps. 

We maybe looking for group leaders, if you’re keen drop us a message, there will be a reward. 

This is a family friendly event, dogs are also welcome. 

If you’re not a happy camper, you’re more than welcome to just come for the day (Sunday the 13th). There is also a couple of B&Bs in Presteigne too.

Campsite Address:

Nash Oakland Wild Camping 

Nash Court, Presteigne LD8 2LG

01544 262185 

What 3 words locations:

Farm house to pay for camping - encounter.skillet.fork

Jeeps n Java field - treetop.tripods.ringside

IMG_4654.jpeg

Edited by TonyandAneta
  • Like 2

• Platinum Member

This sounds like another great MJUK event. 👍

However a small heads up for people who might be thinking of going. I have camped at Nash Oaklands, it is NOT a campsite, it is a large wooded hill, there are no facilities, no pitches and finding places to pitch a tent can be difficult, particularly for a group. Roof tents are useful here. This is not to say that it isn’t great, it is. Just be prepared, it’s probably some of the the most wild wild camping I’ve done so far. T&A do say that there might be a field so they may have got somewhere that is a bit more easy going for this event Best of luck hope it all  goes well.

• Platinum Member
TonyandAneta
37 minutes ago, TimC said:

This sounds like another great MJUK event. 👍

However a small heads up for people who might be thinking of going. I have camped at Nash Oaklands, it is NOT a campsite, it is a large wooded hill, there are no facilities, no pitches and finding places to pitch a tent can be difficult, particularly for a group. Roof tents are useful here. This is not to say that it isn’t great, it is. Just be prepared, it’s probably some of the the most wild wild camping I’ve done so far. T&A do say that there might be a field so they may have got somewhere that is a bit more easy going for this event Best of luck hope it all  goes well.

Thanks for your input Tim. We do actually have a private field down by the river set aside for us and we will have portable toilets available too. Anyone wishing to tag on extra days and camp in the woods for that wild camping experience can do so too 🙂 The field we have also has access via a small river crossing which is a nice little extra. 

• Like 2

• Platinum Member
On 23/07/2023 at 18:13, TonyandAneta said:

We are beyond excited to announce a new series of MJUK events - Jeeps ’n’ Java.

Both Tony and I are avid coffee lovers and know quite a few of you guys are too. We couldn’t see a better way of bringing two of our favourite things together - Jeeps and coffee. 

The first of these events is Jeeps ’n’ Java CampOut, which will take place on Sunday 13th of August at Nash Oakland and surrounding areas, with camping available on Saturday 12th and Sunday 13th of August. 

What’s the plan you ask? 

We’re hoping most of you will be able to come to Nash Oakland on Saturday afternoon/evening and camp over.

Sunday is the main event day - Starting with a coffee morning at Nash Oakland, around 9.30am, where you will get a chance to meet like minded people, check out each others Jeeps, everyones various methods of making trail coffee and just generally have a good time! A couple of hours later we will set off in groups to explore the stunning green lanes of Powys: Water Break Its Neck, Black Yatt and others are on the menu. 

EVENT SCHEDULE

Saturday 12th of August

Camping at Nash Oakland

Sunday 13th of August

Coffee morning Nash Oakland 

Green laning - Powys area

Camping at Nash Oakland

Tickets/pricing

Jeeps ’n’ Java tickets £30 (one per Jeep)

camping to be paid separately to Nash Oakland at £10 per person per night 

BUY TICKETS HERE 

https://www.modifiedjeeps.uk/shop/p/jeeps-n-java-campout-summer-2023

Important info: 

We know a lot of Jeepers are passionate about different ways of making a hot brew. We will be interested to check out everyones ways of making a hot cuppa! It’s a ‘BYOB’ bring your own beans kinda party, so make sure you have your own water etc. (if you’re really not equipped to make a coffee we will be happy to make a couple of extra coffees in our Jeep)

Nash Oakland is a wild camping style site meaning there is no facilities such as showers or toilet. We will however have a portaloo in our field. 

Camping to be paid separately £10 per person per night, payable at the farm house upon arrival (what3words: encounter.skillet.fork)

We will have Jeeps ’n’ Java tees available to buy at the event, and some coffee mugs obviously. Please bring cash with you!

Phone service and internet may be limited in this area, so it’s a good idea to download a map with some waypoints just in case. 

Most of the green lanes we planned for the day are scenic and fairly easy going. There will be a couple of bonus lanes for the thrill seekers/more modified Jeeps. 

We maybe looking for group leaders, if you’re keen drop us a message, there will be a reward. 

This is a family friendly event, dogs are also welcome. 

If you’re not a happy camper, you’re more than welcome to just come for the day (Sunday the 13th). There is also a couple of B&Bs in Presteigne too.

Campsite Address:

Nash Oakland Wild Camping 

Nash Court, Presteigne LD8 2LG

01544 262185 

What 3 words locations:

Farm house to pay for camping - encounter.skillet.fork

Jeeps n Java field - treetop.tripods.ringside

IMG_4654.jpeg

Booked - looking forward to it, happy to lead a group if required.

Do we need to book the campsite on the side or is it just "show and pay"?

• Like 3

• Platinum Member
TonyandAneta
2 hours ago, MGomes said:

Booked - looking forward to it, happy to lead a group if required.

Do we need to book the campsite on the side or is it just "show and pay"?

Will be lovely to have you there Manny 😃

Thanks for the group leader offer, we will keep you in mind. We already have a few volunteers, all depends on how busy the event gets 😅 No need to book the campsite, just pay on arrival at the farmhouse. They will direct you to the correct field. See you there! 

• Like 2

• Platinum Member
10 minutes ago, TonyandAneta said:

Will be lovely to have you there Manny 😃

Thanks for the group leader offer, we will keep you in mind. We already have a few volunteers, all depends on how busy the event gets 😅 No need to book the campsite, just pay on arrival at the farmhouse. They will direct you to the correct field. See you there! 

Perfect 🙂

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
TonyandAneta

We did a recce this weekend before the event, pruning included 😅

Routes are looking good, can't wait!

The weather forecast is also looking promising☀️ Especially after all this awful weather we've been having...

482A9386.JPG

482A9392.JPG

482A9396.JPG

482A9412.JPG

482A9437.JPG

482A9464.JPG

482A9422.JPG

• Like 4

• Platinum Member
TonyandAneta

Just a little extra to add to our Jeeps ‘n’ Java event - we will be launching our own MJUK “trail coffee” beans (and ground coffee too) at the event. We’re passionate about our coffee and very particular about the beans too. There will be Jeeps ‘n’ Java tees available as well 🙂482A9617.thumb.jpeg.0cc79b1f3357aacd59062047edbfd334.jpeg482A9492-2.thumb.jpeg.cf47ab3154a0f03e337caffa2948d452.jpeg

• Platinum Member
TonyandAneta

❗Nash Oakland CAMPSITE RULES ❗️Just a little reminder about the campsite for the event. It’s a wild style campsite meaning there is no facilities however we will have chemical toilets for this event. 

Rules from Nash Oakland Wild Camping ⬇️

“Campers are required to be self sufficient, so will need to bring with them everything they need as there are NO facilities on site including your own toilet and drinking water. There is a water tap available by woodland, but not to be used for drinking. Campers must take away all rubbish, waste, and LEAVE NO TRACE.

We allow raised campfires, campers must bring their own fire pits, and will need to bring their own wood or can purchase at the farmhouse. No damage or cutting of woodland trees is allowed. We allow well behaved dogs but they must be kept under control and on a lead whilst out on walks as we have livestock and so do our neighbours.

Campers must respect one another and also other Nash residents. Children are very welcome. No loud music. We allow drones but must not be flown over the houses and farm buildings at Nash, and should not include other campers without permission. 

Payment by bacs, paypal or cash, please ask for details, £10 per adult per night, no departure time. A few rules so everyone can enjoy the camping and have a chilled/relaxing time.”

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stew the Jeep said:

How much is the portaloo costing?

If it helps I pay £25 a week for each toilet for my sites.

• Platinum Member
TonyandAneta
4 hours ago, Stew the Jeep said:

How much is the portaloo costing?

Why have you spent all day hounding us on every social media platform you could find? Did you question when JOC did a two day green laning trip in Wales (back in march) for £60 (no camping included)?

Maybe @UKTJ has a contract or something similar. Our portaloo is costing just over £100. I think it’ll be there for a week, even though we only need it for 2 days. 

52 minutes ago, TonyandAneta said:

Why have you spent all day hounding us on every social media platform you could find? Did you question when JOC did a two day green laning trip in Wales (back in march) for £60 (no camping included)?

Maybe @UKTJ has a contract or something similar. Our portaloo is costing just over £100. I think it’ll be there for a week, even though we only need it for 2 days. 

Mine is through Travis Perkins, and I do have a trade account with them.  Didn't want to get in the middle of anything, was just trying to help re an enquiry on the cost of toilet hire.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Platinum Member
TonyandAneta
40 minutes ago, UKTJ said:

Mine is through Travis Perkins, and I do have a trade account with them.  Didn't want to get in the middle of anything, was just trying to help re an enquiry on the cost of toilet hire.

Haha that’s what we thought. You were obviously just trying to help 😀

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
Stew the Jeep

Whether the portaloo costs £25 or £65 is academic...its charging £30 per Jeep to drive public roads is a total rip off...

• Sad 1

• Platinum Member
TonyandAneta
1 hour ago, Stew the Jeep said:

Whether the portaloo costs £25 or £65 is academic...its charging £30 per Jeep to drive public roads is a total rip off...

Yet we don’t see you harassing the JOC about doing the exact same thing? This is starting to feel personal. 

• Like 2

• Platinum Member
1 hour ago, Stew the Jeep said:

Whilst we are all allowed an opinion; I have always seen the JOC forum as a positive place. If you believe that this is not a fair price for an event, so be it, it is your opinion, all you need to do is not buy a ticket and not attend the event; there is no need for any negativity. Off-roading is a hobby and a passion for most of us, all you need to do is opt-out form the event... There is no need for negativity between off-roaders

• Like 5

• Platinum Member

Firstly, apologies to @TonyandAneta as this is totally hijacking their thread. 

Secondly, I completely get where @Stew the Jeep is coming from, it’s not a new topic on this forum and has been discussed many times with regard to JOC laning days,  paying to drive lanes that are completely free to drive on does seem a bit like a rip off……….however……..

I had a discussion with Jim O a few years ago about this regarding the prices for summer camp ( a little different I know as it’s not just green lanes) why am I paying £100+ to drive a few lanes that I could do myself for free?  The mistake I made, as Jim explained, was assuming that everyone was like me and wanted what I wanted……it was just that summer camp wasn’t really for me but catered exactly for a lot of Jeepers who do want that sort of thing and are happy to pay for it. There are after all, a few people that make a business out of guiding people on green lanes that they could, with a little effort drive for free but they will pay, sometimes hundreds of pounds, to have someone else guide them.
If you don’t want to pay then don’t sign up, do it yourself.

This manifested itself one time for me one Bala summer camp weekend when a few of us balked at the price and decided, since we already had the time booked, to just go to Wales, find a campsite and do a few lanes without paying out to do it. We bumped into a JOC group on Strata Florida coming the other way which was quite funny/ a bit awkward. 
So you pays your money and takes your choice, I would not think of charging for any of the green lane trips I organise but if somebody has gone to the trouble of organising campsites, green lane routes and putting on a bit of entertainment and wants to charge something for it then good luck to them because there are definitely Jeepers for whom that is just what suits them and if they pay a small fee for it then at least it gets them off roading where they might not otherwise have done.

I won’t be going to Jeeps and Java, because it’s just not my thing and I can ( and have) just rocked up at Nash Oaklands and done a few lanes for free but that doesn’t mean that it’s a bad thing. Good luck to Tony and Aneta, I hope you have a successful weekend and the people who do go enjoy it 👍

• Like 5

• Platinum Member
22 hours ago, UKTJ said:

Didn't want to get in the middle of anything, was just trying to help re an enquiry on the cost of toilet hire

…that’s what they all say 😂😂

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• Platinum Member
13 hours ago, TimC said:

HA Ha.  I agree with all you,ve said Tim but that's not true of uktj.   He's up for helping folk when he can, same as us!  Ask James!

• Haha 1

• Platinum Member
Stew the Jeep

If anyone in the 4x4 community asks about lanes there's always folk offering positive advice and OS maps don't cost much plus no mentions been made about bringing your own toilet paper

23 hours ago, TimC said:

I appreciate that internet posts are notoriously hard to decode, but I am not really sure what can be inferred from my answer to the question about the price of a portaloo - other than it now seems I hire them at a very good price, which I am obviously very pleased about.

If the thinking was that my answer revealed that I secretly support the view that the pricing of the Jeeps and Java event is somehow outrageous, then that would be completely wrong.  I can see how people with a lot of experience may feel they do not want to pay that, but I see lots of reasons why people may well be happy to pay £30.  Even experienced green laners may be happy to pay the price if one of their reasons for going to the event is to widen the circle of people they know.  At the end of the day nobody is being forced to go, so providing an event like this just increases the choices available to people, which IMHO can only be a good thing.

• Like 5

• Platinum Member
17 minutes ago, UKTJ said:

I appreciate that internet posts are notoriously hard to decode, but I am not really sure what can be inferred from my answer to the question about the price of a portaloo - other than it now seems I hire them at a very good price, which I am obviously very pleased about.

😉 Terry, please do not worry or take offence I think you and Digger may have got the wrong end of the stick, it’s just my sense of humour 😁. It was just the line “ I was just trying to help re an enquiry on the cost of toilet hire “ tickled me, first because we had somehow managed to move the thread onto the cost of toilet hire and second, because it’s such a great get out line to use “ hey woah, don’t look at me I was just trying to help out with the toilet hire” I may have to use that one myself in the future 😂😂 sorry if any offence was taken, I really didn’t mean it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2