The RAC - a tale of woe

Fourpot

• Platinum Member

As you may be aware I had a lot of "fun" with RAC after the Salsbury Plains event where they refused service.  It cost me £255 for a tow back home and eight hours in a layby.

An aggressive RAC rep showed up and refused service without even looking at the vehicle and did not respond well to us trying to ask why he was refusing service.

After a few months of chasing RAC they have agreed to refund me my tow and roll back the price increase for another year's coverage (it went up about £110).  Not thrilled with RAC but they did end up doing the right thing.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
9 minutes ago, Cameron said:

As you may be aware I had a lot of "fun" with RAC after the Salsbury Plains event where they refused service.  It cost me £255 for a tow back home and eight hours in a layby.

An aggressive RAC rep showed up and refused service without even looking at the vehicle and did not respond well to us trying to ask why he was refusing service.

After a few months of chasing RAC they have agreed to refund me my tow and roll back the price increase for another year's coverage (it went up about £110).  Not thrilled with RAC but they did end up doing the right thing.

I did end up escalating it to the Chairman, the CEO and CFO by figuring out their email addresses.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've been with the RAC for years; when I've made call outs, they have been slow to respond (though I was never in danger), but always helpful. Where they have excelled has been in their continental cover, which is truly comprehensive and surprisingly quick. A gearbox problem with my WK stopped me taking visiting friends to the airport in Spain; they organised and paid for a taxi to take them – in time for their flight – and also recovered the vehicle to the nearest dealer, a hundred kilometres away, plus paid for a hire car whilst it was fixed. 

I suspect all the recovery services are under increasing pressure, as financial pressures mean folk are running older cars, with less maintenance, thus breaking down more often. Or perhaps they just worry about their profits?

Our breakdown cover shot up massively this year.  My wife called and asked why she could get it for significantly less by entering our details as new members online.  They dropped the price, but as breakdown cover is an insurance product I had understood such practices to be illegal now 🤔

• Sad 1

• Platinum Member
4 hours ago, UKTJ said:

Our breakdown cover shot up massively this year.  My wife called and asked why she could get it for significantly less by entering our details as new members online.  They dropped the price, but as breakdown cover is an insurance product I had understood such practices to be illegal now 🤔

I think there was something in the news about Insurance companies being stopped from giving huge discounts to new members while hiking up the prices of existing members. They have to give both the same discounts now.

• Platinum Member

@Fourpot I feel your pain….

when I had my JK and it came with breakdown cover, I had Green Flag for my Seat Leon.  One day southbound on the M1 I lost a coil pack, but managed to limp off motorway, onto A508 and to spot of safety where I could park up.  Like you I was about 15 minutes from home. Called Green Flag.  They never arrived. It ended with them sending a taxi to get me home and them confirming they would recover f

the following day, they did ask whether I would leave car keys on top of the wheel…

about 4 months into ownership of my JL I experienced a catastrophic electrical malfunction on the edges of Bodmin moor.  As it’s a new vehicle I call Jeep Assistance. A complete waste of time!! The number provided does not work from a mobile, only landline.  Resorted to PLan B - RAC.  It started off quite well, their patrolman rocked up, and it was clear there was no way of fixing the issue at the roadside.  So he started recovery procedures. With me at the time was wife, Inlaws and dog.  As we were only 10 minutes from our rental cottage he ferried them all back, but had to leave me as he’d been called to another breakdown somewhere else in Cornwall.  

my initial call to RAC was at around 11:00. I was recovered at around 20:00 returning the broken Jeep back to where we were staying.  RAC then said they would pick up broken JL around 08:30 following morning and move to preferred local dealership (Jeep assist would only take to nearest dealership to incident, in this case Exeter.  It would have then been up to me to get back down to Exeter once JL was fixed).

finally recovery arrived around 13:00.  It then took 2 days to get back to Unity. During which point rodents had made their way into the vehicle and eaten through a purple of things. 

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

@fen01 the Jeep Assistance numbers I use are:

00 800 0426 5337

0800 169 2966

Both connect via mobile but my fancy new Jeep has an SOS Burton and a Jeep Assist button which I need to test out

• Platinum Member
On 06/06/2023 at 10:57, Gerald F said:

I've been with the RAC for years; when I've made call outs, they have been slow to respond (though I was never in danger), but always helpful. Where they have excelled has been in their continental cover, which is truly comprehensive and surprisingly quick. A gearbox problem with my WK stopped me taking visiting friends to the airport in Spain; they organised and paid for a taxi to take them – in time for their flight – and also recovered the vehicle to the nearest dealer, a hundred kilometres away, plus paid for a hire car whilst it was fixed. 

I suspect all the recovery services are under increasing pressure, as financial pressures mean folk are running older cars, with less maintenance, thus breaking down more often. Or perhaps they just worry about their profits?

Outside the UK, it won't be the RAC who actually turns up though?

• Platinum Member

Well we went with Green Flag. Thankfully, no need for them yet.

However, I had to make a claim on a group insurance scheme (that I've been in since 1987 and this was my first claim) as a result of the Emilia Romagna F1 being cancelled. Whilst checking the eligibility of my claim I discovered that for the last 36 years I've had roadside/recovery etc. with that scheme!!  It's with Allianz Assistance. We'll keep both now we've paid for a year. In the event of a breakdown, I'll take whoever turns up first...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

Edited by Fourpot