The RAC - a tale of woe

Fourpot

• Platinum Member

I broke down the other day, on the M6 southbound, four lanes and no hard shoulder. I was in Lane 3, two miles from J16 and just 15  minutes from home. It was 5.30pm.

Luckily I managed to stick it in neutral and coasted to Lane 1 and close to the barrier, thankfully there was a 40mph in force and traffic was actually much slower.

Called the police on 999, who set the matrix further up to show the lane was now obstructed, and as usual, no-one paid any fuggin attention to that and there were a few near misses! 

After about 15 minutes, the Higways Patrol tuned up and put out cones, and then once another had turned up I got a tow to the nearest SOS lay-by (a mile). There was already a car-sized van broken down there so space was at a premium. Probably it's about six car lengths end to end.

I had already called the RAC , but they wouldn't respond until I was in the SOS lay-by. So I called them again to let them know where I was. Now, I say 'called' but actually you just get a lot of computer voice and then a text message asking you to report your breakdown online. I was lucky to have a signal and 4G, as the SOS phone in the lay-by was not working. If you use the phone number for the RAC and wait a lot, do a lot of option choosing, you can eventually get to a living human in Birmingham. 

Anyway, the van occupants ( a couple and their dog) and I, sat at the top of the embankment and waited in the icy wind. They had already been there 45 minutes. After 30 minutes an RAC patrol turned up for me (the van people were also RAC, but clearly the RAC don't like dogs or vans or couples or young people, because they had had no visit yet).

The RAC patrol bloke asked me if I knew what was wrong so I said "No oil pressure and it stopped dead". He asked if I had tried starting it.. "No, because there is no oil pressure". He called his control and started the process of recovery. He then drove off and didn't look at the van.  It was now about 6.30ish.

I got a text from the RAC saying I would be recovered at midnight. That's nice, I'm five feet away from 70mph traffic, it's dark (no lighting at the SOS lay-by), the SOS phone doesn't work and my mobile phone battery is half full, no toilets, no shelter - except in the Jeep, no water, no food and it's bluddy freezing! I'm to stay here for 5.5 hours?!  It was too cold outside so I got back in the Jeep. The couple and dog also retreated to the comfort of their van.

After another couple of hours, the Highway Patrol came along again. Apparently we have been here too long and they will have to arrange recovery for us at a cost of £150 (per vehicle). They say we have to be moved as it is not safe to remain here (so why tow me here in the first place?). An hour later a recovery truck turns up for me (obviously the Highways Agency doesn't like couples/dogs/small vans either). Recovery man's instructions are to take me to Sandbach services (northbound side). This is in the wrong direction for home and is actually further away. He will not take me home. So instead of a 15-minute trip to my house, it's a 20-minute trip to Sandbach services and I'm now further from home than when I broke down. 

Arrive at Sandbach services at 22.30 and have to ring the Highways and pay them £150, before I can be unloaded. I did ask, "What if my card doesn't work or I refuse to pay?", "Dunno" he said. it was tempting. I also go through a thousand call options again to let the RAC know where I am. Of course now that I'm at a services and 'safe' - low priority. There is only McDonalds open, so I'll just go hungry, bought a black coffee. 

After ages, I call the RAC again to ask where recovery is, "39 minutes" they say (bit precise?). 95 minutes later I get a call from a recovery bloke who has just been tasked with picking me up. He hasn't been busy, he was sitting watching TV. 

Finally after another 25 minutes, he arrives and takes me home, nice chap, not RAC. Unloaded the Jeep at 2am. 

8.5 hours for a 15 minute journey.

This is actually the second time in two years I have had to be recovered by the RAC (Skoda the first time - gear selector broke), the first time was also a nightmare from Winchester to Nantwich. Four, yes four! separate recovery trucks for that journey. The RAC don't do recovery themselves, they task a 'trusted partner'.

After forty years with the RAC (used them on about five occasions altogether in that time, recovered twice). Looking elsewhere now and trying to recover my £150.

Jeep will be fine as soon as new parts (dizzy and oil pump) arrive.

• Sad 4

• Platinum Member
1 hour ago, Fourpot said:

I broke down the other day, on the M6 southbound, four lanes and no hard shoulder. I was in Lane 3, two miles from J16 and just 15  minutes from home. It was 5.30pm.

Luckily I managed to stick it in neutral and coasted to Lane 1 and close to the barrier, thankfully there was a 40mph in force and traffic was actually much slower.

Called the police on 999, who set the matrix further up to show the lane was now obstructed, and as usual, no-one paid any fuggin attention to that and there were a few near misses! 

After about 15 minutes, the Higways Patrol tuned up and put out cones, and then once another had turned up I got a tow to the nearest SOS lay-by (a mile). There was already a car-sized van broken down there so space was at a premium. Probably it's about six car lengths end to end.

I had already called the RAC , but they wouldn't respond until I was in the SOS lay-by. So I called them again to let them know where I was. Now, I say 'called' but actually you just get a lot of computer voice and then a text message asking you to report your breakdown online. I was lucky to have a signal and 4G, as the SOS phone in the lay-by was not working. If you use the phone number for the RAC and wait a lot, do a lot of option choosing, you can eventually get to a living human in Birmingham. 

Anyway, the van occupants ( a couple and their dog) and I, sat at the top of the embankment and waited in the icy wind. They had already been there 45 minutes. After 30 minutes an RAC patrol turned up for me (the van people were also RAC, but clearly the RAC don't like dogs or vans or couples or young people, because they had had no visit yet).

The RAC patrol bloke asked me if I knew what was wrong so I said "No oil pressure and it stopped dead". He asked if I had tried starting it.. "No, because there is no oil pressure". He called his control and started the process of recovery. He then drove off and didn't look at the van.  It was now about 6.30ish.

I got a text from the RAC saying I would be recovered at midnight. That's nice, I'm five feet away from 70mph traffic, it's dark (no lighting at the SOS lay-by), the SOS phone doesn't work and my mobile phone battery is half full, no toilets, no shelter - except in the Jeep, no water, no food and it's bluddy freezing! I'm to stay here for 5.5 hours?!  It was too cold outside so I got back in the Jeep. The couple and dog also retreated to the comfort of their van.

After another couple of hours, the Highway Patrol came along again. Apparently we have been here too long and they will have to arrange recovery for us at a cost of £150 (per vehicle). They say we have to be moved as it is not safe to remain here (so why tow me here in the first place?). An hour later a recovery truck turns up for me (obviously the Highways Agency doesn't like couples/dogs/small vans either). Recovery man's instructions are to take me to Sandbach services (northbound side). This is in the wrong direction for home and is actually further away. He will not take me home. So instead of a 15-minute trip to my house, it's a 20-minute trip to Sandbach services and I'm now further from home than when I broke down. 

Arrive at Sandbach services at 22.30 and have to ring the Highways and pay them £150, before I can be unloaded. I did ask, "What if my card doesn't work or I refuse to pay?", "Dunno" he said. it was tempting. I also go through a thousand call options again to let the RAC know where I am. Of course now that I'm at a services and 'safe' - low priority. There is only McDonalds open, so I'll just go hungry, bought a black coffee. 

After ages, I call the RAC again to ask where recovery is, "39 minutes" they say (bit precise?). 95 minutes later I get a call from a recovery bloke who has just been tasked with picking me up. He hasn't been busy, he was sitting watching TV. 

Finally after another 25 minutes, he arrives and takes me home, nice chap, not RAC. Unloaded the Jeep at 2am. 

8.5 hours for a 15 minute journey.

This is actually the second time in two years I have had to be recovered by the RAC (Skoda the first time - gear selector broke), the first time was also a nightmare from Winchester to Nantwich. Four, yes four! separate recovery trucks for that journey. The RAC don't do recovery themselves, they task a 'trusted partner'.

After forty years with the RAC (used them on about five occasions altogether in that time, recovered twice). Looking elsewhere now and trying to recover my £150.

Jeep will be fine as soon as new parts (dizzy and oil pump) arrive.

Wow - that is one heck of an issue.

I’m with the RAC - chose them assuming good service.  Sounds like they provide the exact opposite.

What concerns me is we live a bit out in the sticks and phone coverage is poor to nonexistent in places - and as for mobile internet access - forget it.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

I use Autonational Rescue and have done for many years. 2 vehicles covered for full service, recovery, home start, hotel, trailer/caravan covered, key cover all for £88.32!  (My KJ and swmbo's Fiesta with some 'no claims' discount!)

They use local franchised garages/recovery services. Had my KJ recovered twice, no issues, prompt service, delivered to my home. Longest I waited was 2 hours, usually within 1 hour but obviously depends on where you are and the size of vehicle (to select suitable recovery truck)

A real person answers the phone, they offer to contact nearest and dearest and call with updates and welfare check.

A while ago, my other vehicle, new Jag, had puncture, no spare provided and repair kit doesn't mend a 2 inch spilt in side wall!

So called AA, part of Jag assistance, told them the problem, they offered to take vehicle to local Kwik Fit to fit replacement tyre but couldn't do it till following day! (It happened on a Friday early evening)  Not on your nelly! Kwik Fit? Dream on! So I declined their offer. 

Luckily I was staying with family not far away, AA offered to take me and vehicle home, but couldn't do it till Sunday, but as we were returning home then that was ok, save me 150 miles worth of petrol so had to accept! It took 2 AA recovery trucks (from Lincolnshire to Gloucestershire with changeover at Peterborough) cos driver would be over his hours so need two! Must have cost Jaguar hundreds of pounds all because they didn't supply a spare! Serves them right and all the other looney car makers who don't supply spare wheels.
I have since bought a slim jim spare which I have used twice now. **** low profile tyres don't like steep jagged edged pot holes, they rip out the side walls!
So avoid AA, RAC and use more friendly, cheaper accommodating recovery service, IMHO!

• Like 6

• Platinum Member

Yep, agree with Jerry! I had AA. Brand new 4.0L XJ, one hundred miles and she started a bad misfire  in pouring rain! Limped off M25 into HQ. AA man turned up after a couple of hours. He looked under bonnet and saw the same as me, big sparks from coil!  Stopped motor, pulled lead out of coil. Oh the end hadn't been crimped properly. I'll have to order a new part he said. ''don't be daft'' , I said, ''I need the car, just cut a bit off the end of the cable .straighten crimp and refit'' ''Can't do that'' he said '' it would be a modification!''  The only good news was he accepted my offer of a coffee in reception and turned a blind eye to my fixing it, in the pouring rain all suited up! Just a few weeks later the renewal came along!  A dramatic increase! They said ,but you've had a claim!  Yes I said , the first and the last in 10 yrs. 

I went to LV, they've been very good. Ooh and in the next three years my XJ did 96k miles , and that was the only issue I had . I was converted!

• Like 2

• Platinum Member

I am with AutoAid. The WJ had been laid up for a couple of months and only took the WJ to work only because I had some rubbish to take down the dump nearby.
Lunchtime I headed out to get some lunch but on turning her over all I got was the dreaded click click click. Hammer on the starter motor did not work so called AutoAid and within an hour a local recovery company came out and diagnosed a faulty solenoid. A few hammer bangs later and he said that I needed to be towed home.

Two hours later, a tow truck arrived at my work and the driver tried the hammer trick and after this did not work, my WJ was on the back of his truck.

Great service and an early work finish for me

• Like 4

• Platinum Member

I'm sorry to hear of your ordeal. I hope your Jeep is fixed soon and the problem hasn't caused any damage so soon after your rebuild.

Smart Motorways - Obviously the conception of someone that cannot be considered smart themselves.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, V said:

Smart Motorways - Obviously the conception of someone that cannot be considered smart themselves.

I am not a fan of the concept either, but as I understand it the issue is in part in the implementation.  I have not had time to watch the video, so forgive me if these points are in it.

I heard in a report about the death of somebody on a smart motorway that the people behind the idea had the pull in safety places no more than a few hundred yards apart.  That would mean being stuck on the carriageway would be a rare event.  Though what that would save over a hard shoulder is not so clear to me.  To cut cost the Govt. dept. Implemented them with those safety places often a mile and a half apart, massively increasing the chances of having to stop on the carriageway.

The camera system is not fully monitored.  Apparently it is the responsibility of other road users to report stranded vehicles on the motorway carriageway.  I for one did not know that until recently - no advertising campaign I have seen, no signs on smart motorways.  Also, does that mean I have to use my phone, which without hands free would be illegal.  I only found this out, as I read at an inquest a judge stated that all the other people who had passed a stranded car and not reported it bore some responsibility for the subsequent fatality!

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

We use Green Flag for top level cover for two cars which includes a chauffeur in case I am too ill to drive and the cost is under £140 per annum.  Last year when the alternator on the Jeep GC packed up and we came to an unexpected dead stop, it took GF about 2 hours to arrive, but at least we spoke to a human being.

As it was a Saturday morning and garages closed, GF took the car back to the campsite where our caravan was located.  We had booked to stay until the Sunday and pub was within walking distance so no issue.  On the Sunday, they collected the car and the caravan.  Took the caravan back to its storage compound and the car and us home.  On the Monday they collected the car and took it to the Jeep dealership for repair. 

• Like 2

• Platinum Member
4 hours ago, UKTJ said:

I only found this out, as I read at an inquest a judge stated that all the other people who had passed a stranded car and not reported it bore some responsibility for the subsequent fatality!

I think that's a ridiculous conclusion for a judge to come to especially as the government are using the term 'Smart' and stating that it is the continuous monitoring of the traffic on it is the basis of that description. The majority of users will not expect to have to call the police on a Smart Motorway, but they would on a regular unmonitored motorway. Perhaps Smart Motorways should be rebranded '3x More Deadly Motorway' to more accurately describe what they are.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• Platinum Member
1 hour ago, V said:

I think that's a ridiculous conclusion for a judge to come to especially as the government are using the term 'Smart' and stating that it is the continuous monitoring of the traffic on it is the basis of that description. The majority of users will not expect to have to call the police on a Smart Motorway, but they would on a regular unmonitored motorway. Perhaps Smart Motorways should be rebranded '3x More Deadly Motorway' to more accurately describe what they are.

It is illegal to use your mobile phone while driving and many people do not have Bluetooth capability in their vehicle or the facility to use their phone hands free.  SMART Motorways are dangerous!

• Like 3

• Platinum Member

It seems we have a current crop of idiotic woke judges doing the rounds! The one above who thinks we should all use our phones whilst driving (does this count as an emergency as that is exempt! I wouldn't want to have to argue that in court!) and the one who congratulated the stop oil protesters for sitting in the road and holding up traffic. I despair!

• Like 3

I apologise, it was not a judge but a Senior Coroner…

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/crime/smart-motorway-and-lack-of-hard-shoulder-contributed-to-death-of-yorkshire-grandmother-nargis-begum-3839019

“On Friday, exactly four years after the crash, senior coroner Nicola Mundy told Doncaster Coroner’s Court the fact none of drivers of the 153 vehicles which passed the stranded car before the collision alerted National Highways to its presence also contributed to Mrs Begum’s death.”

Doesn’t make it any less of a stupid conclusion.

• Like 2

• Platinum Member

Smart motorways terrify the bejesus out of me - I can think of nothing more terrifying than breaking down in a live lane  🙈

On 19/02/2023 at 17:10, Fourpot said:

After forty years with the RAC (used them on about five occasions altogether in that time, recovered twice).

With those kind of numbers you've got to wonder if you'd be better off not having any breakdown cover and instead just ringing a local breakdown firm if you do actually need recovery 😕

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

Wow @Fourpot, your experience sounds awful. That poor family as well. I hope they got recovered right after you. 

I don't like smart motorways. I try not to drive in their left lane for fear I'll suddenly come upon a stranded vehicle and not be able to stop in time.

I've never had to be recovered yet on a motorway but I do benefit from Jeep Recovery services having bought my Jeeps brand new. I've used them 3 times. 

1. Call out on my Renegade Longitude as being new to the DDCT transmission I thought something was wrong when there was significant lag between me pressing the accelerator and the Jeep responding. Turns out, that's how the system works. My call was to Jeep Customer Care who connected me to Recovery. They first established I was in a safe place (work carpark) and said someone would be with me within an hour. Got a text messages with a link to a map that tracked the driver. He was with me around 30 mins later.

2. Its lockdown now and the Renegade Longitude has been traded in for the Renegade Trailhawk. I ran my battery down because I forgot to remove the dashcam 🫣 Bought a branded AA solar powered trickle charger to maintain my battery. This plugged into the OBD port. One day I went out to pick up groceries, I blew the Head unit fuse. Didn't know that was the issue while it happened. All I knew was my odometer was flashing, the radio and aircon was not working. Jeep is still driving. Get home and call Jeep Recovery. They get out to me within 30 mins again. Maybe it's my location but I'm seriously impressed with the response time. Fuse changed, I'm shown what's happened and where to locate the fusebox( behind the glove box!).

3. Few weeks later same issue of the fuse blowing. Called out Jeep Recovery (I have no tools to get to that fusebox). Guy arrives a bit after 45mins, apologising for the delay as there was a diversion on the motorway at Heathrow. He was coming from Slough. I leave it to him. Seems more than just the fuse blew as the Canbus is not responding so he cannot do a diagnosis. Jeep is still drivable, just cannot alarm it, use aircon or radio. 

I'm pretty sure at this time that the trickle charger was at fault so it got packed away, never to see daylight again. So not only does AA provide awful services they make awful products as well 🥺

Was able to get to Jeep Beaconsfield who did a few diagnostics and updates and Jeep was fine again.

I have 5 years of Jeep Recovery on my current plan and from previous experience I'm thinking to negotiate an ongoing Recovery package once that is up. 

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
8 hours ago, Overlander21 said:

Smart motorways terrify the bejesus out of me - I can think of nothing more terrifying than breaking down in a live lane  🙈

With those kind of numbers you've got to wonder if you'd be better off not having any breakdown cover and instead just ringing a local breakdown firm if you do actually need recovery 😕

Same here.  When the alternator gave up the ghost on our 2012 Jeep GC we were lucky to be able to pull over, never mind coast across two lanes.  The Jeep totally died and nothing function, not even the indicators, windows etc.  If we had been towing our caravan and it happened on a Smart motorway, we probably would not be here to write this post.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Platinum Member
On 20/02/2023 at 13:09, Surfer said:

It is illegal to use your mobile phone while driving and many people do not have Bluetooth capability in their vehicle or the facility to use their phone hands free.

I have just watched the following video and it appears that using any hand interaction with a phone while driving could come under careless driving or driving without due care and attention.

On 20/02/2023 at 20:08, UKTJ said:

senior coroner Nicola Mundy told Doncaster Coroner’s Court the fact none of drivers of the 153 vehicles which passed the stranded car before the collision alerted National Highways to its presence also contributed to Mrs Begum’s death.

So what the coroner is really saying is that the law prohibiting mobile phone use while driving contributed to the woman's death. The 153 drivers that passed by did not break the law or put themselves and other people already on the dangerous road in a higher level of danger.

There is no hard shoulder to safely stop on a smart motorway to make an emergency call. Surely the responsibility for her death is on the people that devised smart motorways, the politicians that approved it, the companies that made them and National Highways who are supposed to monitor them.

5 hours ago, V said:

I have just watched the following video and it appears that using any hand interaction with a phone while driving could come under careless driving or driving without due care and attention.

So what the coroner is really saying is that the law prohibiting mobile phone use while driving contributed to the woman's death. The 153 drivers that passed by did not break the law or put themselves and other people already on the dangerous road in a higher level of danger.

There is no hard shoulder to safely stop on a smart motorway to make an emergency call. Surely the responsibility for her death is on the people that devised smart motorways, the politicians that approved it, the companies that made them and National Highways who are supposed to monitor them.

The people I would probably let of the hook are, ironically, the people who came up with the original idea.  My understanding is that the original idea had emergency refuges at much shorter gaps and had the cameras all monitored 24/7.  The problem is the politicians grabbed the extra lane, but modified the rest of the design to save money.  Net result people are dying.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

Update:

RAC have simply said 'We do not cover third party recoveries'

Highways England have admitted that their patrol said we could claim the £150 back off the RAC, but he was clearly wrong.

Green Flag looking good to swap to. 

• Platinum Member
3 minutes ago, Fourpot said:

Update:

RAC have simply said 'We do not cover third party recoveries'

Highways England have admitted that their patrol said we could claim the £150 back off the RAC, but he was clearly wrong.

Green Flag looking good to swap to. 

We have Green Flag cover and for £130pa it covers two vehicles including home start.  We have the Mayday version as we tow a caravan and that is also covered.

• Like 2

• Platinum Member
1 hour ago, Surfer said:

We have Green Flag cover and for £130pa it covers two vehicles including home start.  We have the Mayday version as we tow a caravan and that is also covered.

Cool, I'm in. We're going for the everything version, one car over 16 years old - the Jeep, 1 motorcycle over 16 years old, an EV, two other bikes and a horse box (horse box only for when I have occasion to drive it without a horse in it - Mrs Fourpot has a separate cover for rescuing the horse if she breaks down with it on board. Greenflag don't rescure 'livestock')

• Like 2

• Platinum Member
1 hour ago, Fourpot said:

Cool, I'm in. We're going for the everything version, one car over 16 years old - the Jeep, 1 motorcycle over 16 years old, an EV, two other bikes and a horse box (horse box only for when I have occasion to drive it without a horse in it - Mrs Fourpot has a separate cover for rescuing the horse if she breaks down with it on board. Greenflag don't rescure 'livestock')

Had a similar to your problem to yours a few years back, JK blew a turbo hose. (Didn't know that at the time) After what seemed a lifetime the RAC finally got the JK, me the Mrs & the dog onwards to destination, which was only hour and half away. The RAC guy who turned up 1st couldn't diagnose a split tubo pipe on his laptop ?? So called a truck. Meanwhile a greenflag guy turned up for another vehicle but couldn't help us which was understandable as not members, but he said RAC should have wrapped a load of tape round the pipe to get us going till can get to garage next day. Joined Greenflag soon after. Good thing with membership the Mrs was able to use them when she was passenger in Daughters car that broke down!

• Like 1

Sounds like the RAC are one to avoid.  We have been with AA for ages, no idea if they are any better.  Last recovery was a few years back, not a great experience having to be ‘handed off’ between two recovery vehicles.  But they did get us home with no incremental cost, just a fair bit of waiting around.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fourpot said:

You should write to the RAC and explain that ‘they may not cover third party recoveries, but you don’t hand money over to companies with proven lousy service’.

• Like 2

• Platinum Member
jeepstertim

2nd for Green Flag, I get membership as a 'freebie' with my bank.  They've recovered me a couple of times (never in a Jeep) but took their time about it.

Many years ago, the cylinder head went on my classic V8 range rover (shocker!).  the recovery truck ran out of fuel with family on board and I then had to show the driver how to bleed his diesel!

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
Windowlicker

I was with RAC for decades, but the first time I needed them I got a list of excuses for not attending, including that my car (not my Jeep) was too old, too big, and too American. They eventually attended, but charged me £350 for the privilege. Needless to say, I'm not with them any more. I've gone with the optional breakdown cover on my insurance policies. Used them once - can't fault them. 

• Like 1