A dilemma!

Surfer

• Platinum Member
2 hours ago, UKTJ said:

I am interested in the glass issue, I still struggle to see how it can have been built that way without there being a wider issue with many more Grand Cherokees.  But equally I struggle to understand what happened subsequently to cause it on every window and the mirrors.  I have seen windows damaged by hot metal fragments when somebody used a grinder on some steel a bit too close to a house, but something similar would have affected just one side of your Jeep, not all the way around.

Initially I thought it was just the windscreen, but since then discovered that the front windows, both front side windows and mirrors have the same issue.  It was not obvious during the summer and only came to light recently when the sun is low.  We live in a rural area so often travel down tree lined lanes.  No issue when in the shade, but when coming into full sunlight again vision is severely impaired.

The paintwork on the vehicle is Diamond Crystal Black.  Attached is a picture of the paintwork, but I am not sure if it should have those white flecks in it or whether that is normal for the colour scheme or perhaps the window speckiling issue is also on the paintwork?

Jeep paintwork.jpg

• Platinum Member

These are the changes listed for the 2018 model year:

• New Grand Cherokee Trackhawk model expands lineup with most powerful and quickest SUV ever featuring a supercharged 6.2-liter V-8 engine that delivers 707 horsepower, 645 lb.-ft. of torque, 0-60 miles per hour (mph) in 3.5 seconds, quarter-mile in 11.6 seconds and top speed of 180 mph
  • Grand Cherokee models are equipped with standard Apple CarPlay and Android Auto through the latest version of Uconnect’s 8.4-inch touchscreen radio system that features higher resolution and pinch-and-zoom capability
  • Higher-resolution 7-inch screen replaces the standard 5-inch Uconnect radio system
  • Grand Cherokee Sterling Edition debuts, available on Limited models, marking Grand Cherokee’s 25th anniversary and features Platinum Chrome badging, lower fascia applique, grille rings, roof rails and fog lamp bezels, 20-inch Heritage wheels, available Sangria exterior color, platinum tow hooks and a “25th Anniversary” badge. Inside, a new Real Metal package, leather-trimmed instrument panel and center console, and unique Heritage perforated seats that feature decorative stitching is standard. Uconnect’s 8.4-inch touchscreen infotainment system, a nine-speaker audio system with active noise cancellation and Blind Spot monitoring with Cross Path Detection are also standard
  • Grand Cherokee High Altitude Edition returns for the 2018 model year, available on Overland models, and includes Low Gloss Granite Crystal badging, grille bezels, step pad, tail lamps, and 20-inch wheels, Gloss Black grille, Black Nappa perforated leather seats with Black accent stitching, Anodized Gun Metal interior accents, Black instrument panel accent stitching, Jeep Active Safety Group, Blind Spot Monitoring and a dual pane sunroof
  • Grand Cherokee Summit, SRT and Trackhawk receive a new Premium Metal package that enhances the interior with various upscale real metal accents
  • Grand Cherokee SRT with the available Signature Leather Wrapped interior package now features matte carbon fiber spears, black exterior badging and new standard 20-inch Satin Carbon Spider Monkey wheels. Low Gloss Black 20-inch lightweight wheels are optional
  • Grand Cherokee Overland models now offer Brown interior color option with Light Diesel Gray accent stitching
  • Grand Cherokee Laredo models now feature new cloth patterned seats available in Black or Light Frost Beige and new 17-inch aluminum wheels
  • Active Noise Cancellation is now standard with the available nine-speaker Alpine audio system

I don't think we had any of the various special editions here in the UK, or at least I don't remember seeing them. Euro spec choices may mean much of this stuff doesn't apply anyway, but there's certainly nothing on that list I'd lose sleep over.

WK2 was never really a volume seller in the UK, so stock tended to sit around for a long time. Chances are we skipped a few model years and I wouldn't be at all surprised if every WK2 sold in 2018 was a 2017MY, perhaps even older. When times comes to sell, your Grand will be valued as a 2018, so you won't lose out.

We don't really do model years here in the UK, it's a big thing in the States. Be thankful you don't have a Volvo - some models can have four different model years in one calendar year, 2020MY-Late, 2020MY-Early, 2020.5MY-Late, and so on.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AlexK said:

Grand Cherokee Overland models now offer Brown interior color option with Light Diesel Gray accent stitching

Thanks @AlexK for the info.

@Surfer so as yours is an overland, it looks like some media changes and a different interior colour.

I would be focusing on the glass and possibly paint issues rather than the MY.

Does the specs in the paint appear all over or just on the front with the window challenges. Picture does not show it well, but it almost sounds like it’s been next to someone with an angle grinder and got hit with the sparks, or similar 

• Platinum Member
13 hours ago, JimC said:

Could the white specks be stone chips?

Definitely not as they are all over the car's paintwork, front back and sides, but I am unsure what Diamond Black Crystal paint should actually look like.

9 hours ago, neal said:

Thanks @AlexK for the info.

@Surfer so as yours is an overland, it looks like some media changes and a different interior colour.

I would be focusing on the glass and possibly paint issues rather than the MY.

Does the specs in the paint appear all over or just on the front with the window challenges. Picture does not show it well, but it almost sounds like it’s been next to someone with an angle grinder and got hit with the sparks, or similar 

Thanks to AlexK for highlighting any changes as that is a big help.  We do have the 8" screen so it seems it is an early 2018 model.  The white specks are all over the car.

• Platinum Member

Confirmed that the car is an early 2018 so no more worries about that.  Dealer is collecting vehicle to check the specks on windows and bodywork.  Hope they can resolve the issues as otherwise I like the car.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Surfer said:

Confirmed that the car is an early 2018 so no more worries about that.  Dealer is collecting vehicle to check the specks on windows and bodywork.  Hope they can resolve the issues as otherwise I like the car.

@Surfer so whilst the vin shows year of manufacture as 17, the MY and ref is an 18. Ah the joys of Jeep ownership.

In real terms, I expect it’s only us on the forum that would spot these details.

Hope you sort the windows and paint, will be interesting to know what the issue was/is

• 2 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

Time for an update regarding windows.  Dealer sent driver who collected the vehicle and driver had same issues as us with vision being impaired. 

Upon examination, it appears that the car is covered in some sort of industrial fall out or overspray and if you run your hand over both the glass and the wings etc you can feel a roughness to it. Dealer sent the vehicle to their body shop who cleaned it off with solvent or did an acid wash on the car. 

They returned the vehicle today and no more specks on windows or paintwork and I am now a very happy bunny!

Edited by Surfer
  • Like 4