Thetford Forest - Saturday 14th March 2015 - "FULL"

Jules

• Platinum Member
Chris Redford

Disappointed I missed the trip today  :grrrrrr: I was behind a Jeep at the 1st r/a, I had to give way to 4 or 5 cars on the r/a, I turned left onto the A11 an after about 2 or 3 mins realised there weren't any Jeeps in front of me or any behind! Couldn't turn around for miles on a new dual carriageway. I spent some time looking for you all but gave up at 1130 and drove home.  :grrrrrr: again. Worked my frustration out on scrubbing the patio.

• Platinum Member

Shame you went the wrong way Chris, just a mistake...jules was gutted but it was just one of those mistakes "that happened" and no ones fault. Think maybe in future leaders mobile numbers should be given to everyone in the group, a lesson learnt for us all.

I also think that CB's are such a useful thing that maybe everyone should consider as they are instant at keeping all in touch with each other. CB's are also fun, serious when you keep each other posted on whats going on and such a grin for a bit of cheeky banter. Those who didn't have CB's today missed out on some of the info Rolf gave out about the surrounding area, they are a great way of keeping in contact and whats going on.

Anyway, great fun day that i'd love to do again, as always great people and lots of smiles...especially Phil, i wonder if he's stopped grinning yet or whether he's increasing the limit on his credit card and surfing US Jeep suppliers websites  :rofl:

• Platinum Member

PUBLIC HEALTH WARNING FOR ATTENDING JOC EVENTS

Could have fun

Could induce pain in wallet area

Guest Toptooler

Just a little tip when out laning when not everbody has Cbs always keep the next jeep in your mirrors that way everybody should stay in touch

Looks like it was a goodday

Looking foward to meeting some of you at tong at of month

They have a pay and play day tomorrow

Cheers Mark

• Platinum Member

First time out with you all and I thoroughly enjoyed my day, thanks to all involved. Looking forward to meeting up at a future event. Think I will run these lanes again in the next couple of weeks before they become overgrown.

• Platinum Member

...especially Phil, i wonder if he's stopped grinning yet or whether he's increasing the limit on his credit card and surfing US Jeep suppliers websites  :rofl:

:icon_mrgreen: grinning reading your post, Steve.  What an absolute hoot of a day......really enjoyed my first off-roading event and it was a pleasure to meet such a nice group of people.  Even the four Jeep convoy back down the M11 was a blast. I love my Wrangler even more after today and my only regret is not buying one years ago! 

Many thanks to Jules and Steve for taking the trouble to put together a great route through some lovely East Anglian countryside.  I very much look forward to taking part in future outings.

• Platinum Member

Just to echo everybody's else, had a great day out, what s great bunch of people. Looking forward to the next outing, thanks Steve for lending me the CB, definitely need to sort out buying my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Platinum Member
Chris Redford

Just to complete a bad day for me my GC picked up a seized rear brake calliper on the way home, which resulted in a very hot hub, damaged pads & disc! £900 later I'm the proud owner of brand new rear brakes on 12 year old car!  :grrrrrr:

• Platinum Member

How comes it was so expensive?

• Platinum Member

I have discovered what the knocking noise was last weekend, came home early from work to pressure wash the car and I discovered that one of the front shock absorbers had no bolt in the bottom.

• Platinum Member

I have got a new set of shocks in the garage waiting to be fitted so I might get around to doing them while I fit that new bolt.

• Platinum Member

I have got a new set of shocks in the garage waiting to be fitted so I might get around to doing them while I fit that new bolt.

• Platinum Member

I have just got a set ofridgethat I member. 

• Platinum Member

That didn't come out right, I am fitting a set of rugged ridge.

• Platinum Member
Chris Redford

I use Halfords Autocentre which is conveniently close to me in Chelmsford.

Although only the nearside rear brakes seized I chose to have the offside renewed at the same time to make a matching pair of effective rear brakes.

They charged £307 for new discs and pads for both rear hubs, but £295 each for the calipers. the only item not replaced was the handbrake shoes.

Includes written guarantee of 12months or 12k miles plus Brakes for Life which equates to free pads on any car I take there.

I think its expensive also but a quality job done.

• Platinum Member

I sometimes forget how much I save by doing my own work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member
Chris Redford

I agree. Given the facilities I might have had a go myself but getting under a jacked-up car at the side of the street is not my idea of fun. Also, without knowing the specific fault, what tools I would need & whether I could get the spares quickly, might have stretched a DIY job to several days.

So I had to bite the bullet - with the self-satisfaction that I was prolonging the jobs of the Halfords technicians :icon_e_biggrin: