Disabling key fob

Surfer

• Platinum Member

Recently in villages around us there have been a spate on car thefts.  I keep my key for the 2018 Jeep GC in a RFID wallet to prevent signal being transmitted.  However is there anyway that the key fob can be turned off like with some other brands?  The alternative is a Stoplock Pro Elite and being a naturally lazy person I may fit it a few times and then forget.

I am not familiar with how keyless works, but if they get access to a keyless Jeep vehicle, can they hot wire the car and drive it off or have I been watching too many movies?

Fireman Iain

There is a setting somehere in the car menu to disable keyless entry. Which stops the fob transmitting it's signal to unlock the car. So you lock and unlock it by pressing the fob button.

Fireman Iain

Keyless works using a short wave radio frequency afaik. The same principle as keyless go where the car senses the proximity of the fob and will lock/unlock/start when the fob is close. 

Disabling keyless entry doesnt affect the keyless start, if the fob is in the car it still starts at the push of the button.

If a thief can clone the signal from your fob, they can unlock and start the car just as you would do. Hotwiring is a thing of the past, it's all done through electronics now.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• Platinum Member

Take the battery out of fob - or 

Put in RFID pouch as far from parked car as possible - or 

Put in microwave oven (don't forget to take out before dinner!) - or

Use krooklock and/or steering wheel lock - or 

Take main battery out (if leaving for a while) - or 

Wire in a hidden switch in starter circuit - or

Leave a rottweiler in the car! - or

Don't wash car, leave dirty, they won't want to nick it? 

Just a few ideas! Take your pick.

• Haha 3

• Platinum Member

I have been thinking about this a bit and probably the best defence is a counter measure based on the same attack but injecting an engine stop message every 3 seconds into the CAN bus. You could disable it automatically using bluetooth or NFC proximity from a phone, but it would be better to do two factor using a contactless credit card in the back pocket of your jeans and an antenna in the seat cushion.

• Thanks 1

• Platinum Member
13 hours ago, jerryg said:

Take the battery out of fob - or 

Put in RFID pouch as far from parked car as possible - or 

Put in microwave oven (don't forget to take out before dinner!) - or

Use krooklock and/or steering wheel lock - or 

Take main battery out (if leaving for a while) - or 

Wire in a hidden switch in starter circuit - or

Leave a rottweiler in the car! - or

Don't wash car, leave dirty, they won't want to nick it? 

Just a few ideas! Take your pick.

In South Africa leaving a snake in the car was the best deterrent!..

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Platinum Member
BLUE STAR

Use a snake to catch a snake nice 

Could you not just pull the IOD fuse ?

• Platinum Member
On 21/03/2024 at 17:06, BLUE STAR said:

Use a snake to catch a snake nice 

Could you not just pull the IOD fuse ?

My son had one of those rubber snakes and one day on leaving and going down the driveway I spotted in a bush about halfway down the drive.  I stopped the car, got out and retrieved said rubber snake and of course it was wriggling.  I then walk back to the house and threw in on the verandah and on looking around saw an audience of locals peering over the fence with eyes as big as saucers.  In all the time we lived in the house, no one came up the driveway as the bush telegraph was obviously working overtime!  LOL!  🤣🤣

• Haha 2

• Platinum Member
jeepstertim
Posted (edited)

You might want to check if there is a Tazer available for your Jeep, they have a steering wheel button press sequence immobiliser function you can programme.  If you don't do the button press sequence before starting the car stops.

I think the car menu disables the proximity opening of doors, not the fob button press unlock.

Edited by jeepstertim
added