Replaced the UJ's on the Recon

stewart

• Administrators
stewart

Bit of preventative maintenance, some minor wear in the front UJ's so time to replace!  

IMG_0727.jpeg

IMG_0704.jpeg

IMG_0705.jpeg

IMG_0708.jpeg

IMG_0709.jpeg

IMG_0710.jpeg

IMG_0711.jpeg

IMG_0713.jpeg

IMG_0716.jpeg

IMG_0718.jpeg

IMG_0719.jpeg

IMG_0720.jpeg

IMG_0721.jpeg

• Like 5

Ludders

I always find u joints a strangely satisfying repair. Fiddly, but fun...

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
BLUE STAR

Nice clean job

Did you hammer them in or did you use the vice as a press ?

To make sure you've got the correct U-Joints, are the numbers / letters shown on the axle on the last picture a reference guide ?

Just wondering as my Dana 30 on my 2007 built Sahara has more than one U-Joint option depending on what axle was installed when built.

Luckily I kept the dealers Invoice from the past when the last U-J's, BJ's were done 6 years ago, (that had the Mopar part number 4137757), as I couldn't see any ref number visible.  Just got them replaced again, as while having the axles out, to replace the front seals last June, with the new Mopar 2 part ones, we discovered they weren't articulating in all direction as they should. ( A little surprised as they hadn't done that many miles) Took some spares along just in case 'as advised'.

Used the over priced Mopar again, but since, bought two Spicer 5-760X at a third of the cost for next time, probably when the ball joints are due.

Quite a bit of debris / rust cleaned out the tube and off the end of the long axle, the short one which was weeping for some time not so much.

Could do with a little work shop set up in the garage.

• Platinum Member
Caroline12

I enjoy looking at people doing maintenance like this, with photos, showing before condition and new parts, always satisfying.

question from someone who has never done any UJs. 

how do you get the cross into the 2 holes ? 

Ludders
1 hour ago, Caroline12 said:

Press one cup almost into place, then put the cross into the open end opposite, rotate it into the fitted cup, push down to fully seat it.

Press the second cap until it just starts to meet the cross shaft. Slide the cross shaft partially into the second cup (being careful not to knock any of the needle bearings that are inside the cup.

Then press the 2 sides together. 

Repeat with the other sides. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Platinum Member
Caroline12
8 minutes ago, Ludders said:

Press one cup almost into place, then put the cross into the open end opposite, rotate it into the fitted cup, push down to fully seat it.

Press the second cap until it just starts to meet the cross shaft. Slide the cross shaft partially into the second cup (being careful not to knock any of the needle bearings that are inside the cup.

Then press the 2 sides together. 

Repeat with the other sides. 

Thank you 👍

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
Black_box_jeep

Good work, it’s amazing how quickly they go from a little bit of play to a lot of play/ failure if you don’t catch them in time. 

UK life is hard on the jeeps underside too, as most JKs don’t look anywhere near as clean as yours under there.

image.thumb.jpeg.0a995ec418c64026cac9852dfa26a615.jpeg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member
Fourpot
On 04/03/2024 at 13:05, Caroline12 said:

I enjoy looking at people doing maintenance like this, with photos, showing before condition and new parts, always satisfying.

question from someone who has never done any UJs. 

• Thanks 1

• Platinum Member
Caroline12
5 hours ago, Fourpot said:

Appreciate that Thanks 👍

• Like 1