Compass or Cherokee Trailhawk

frosty

• Platinum Member

i am thinking of buying either a Compass trailhawk or a Cherokee trailhawk, i do like the looks of the Cherokee, but they are very rare, there are more compasses around with various ages and prices, it will only be used as a general run about car locally, but we do get a lot of snow in saddleworth, and it will tow my small (2Tonn) trailer, so i think a PHEV is not suitable, has anyone on here had either before, if so what were your impressions.  

• Platinum Member
MynameisCarlos

Hi, how you mentioned the cherokee trailhawk is very rare in this country, I had been to around 15 JOC events in the past years and only managed to saw two cherokees not trailhawk, they stopped selling this model back in 2018, they renew the model for 2019 with some changes at the front lights but then the production of cherokees stoped last year, on the road I just recall seeing 2 or max 3 in the past years, and when i got mine the dealership told me that are only 72 in the UK but.....he will say anything to sale so.....good points, petrol engine 3.2 v6, fast on the motorway and will easily tow the small trailer, is bigger to the compass, feels more like a real suv, the compass feels more like you are driving a some kind of crossover, I test drive the compass trailhawk under off roading conditions and I will say I prefer a renegade trailhawk, depending of the level of trim you choose the cherokee trailhawk will have everything a new car have nowdays, from factory they bring a very good sound system 9 speakers, mine came with sunroof and I saw some models online that have the lane assist, departure, parking assisted  etc... for off roading, is already 1,5 inch lifted, have the metal shield undercover, lock differential, 4low, hill descent and hill climb and the rock mode, for off roading so far had been ok for me, no problems at all, now the bad points, if you are looking to do more real offroading such salisbury plain, strata florida etc...you will need to buy front recovery points as the cherokee don t have it, how I mentioned before, being the cherokee and specially the trailhawk very rare here in the uk, everything you will need to buy it outside, rockauto for example, if you are driving long distances, for example I was doing 50miles per day on my previous job and I was spending about £80 every 3 days to fill in the tank, now my job is 5 miles away so I just fill in the tank every month....the max that I got was 29mpg, you will have to change the oil often but this will cost you around £80 when you get it from autodoc and do it yourself, around £250 if u take it to the dealership, i can t think of anything else, if you have any question let me know 👍 picture attached so you can see the difference between both trailhawks compass/ cherokee

DS1_5649.jpg.9fbf5001a3dabc70c6cabad506aa7805.jpg

• Like 2

• Platinum Member

Hi Frosty, 

I considered buying a Trailhawk Cherokee in my car changing recently.  Why, and why I didn't doesn't matter! I think they are excellent.

I would have gone for a petrol and looked around for quite a while, whilst I was generally deciding what to buy. I always look for preferably one owner and full SH. My searching produced a small number of candidates, many poor sounding  and only a couple that met my criteria re ownership etc. over approx 9 months. So, as you say, they are rare but none the less, finding one is achievable providing one is not in a hurry.

Good luck.

• Like 2

• Administrators

I Had a Trailhawk Cherokee and loved it! It's a better drive than the compass on and Off Road, although very similar . The Cherokee was originally built at Toledo Until Jeep moved the whole 9 mile production line to Belvidere (which is currently mothballed I believe?)  to make way for the JL We were lucky enough to get a tour of the JK Wrangler and Cherokee Line in 2015 as they were in the same complex back then! 

The engineers took us to the WCM unit (world Class Manufacturing) you can see in the pic next to the white Cherokee the test bed KL that was machined from a solid billet of Aluminium apparently according to the engineer !

DSC00002.jpeg

DSC00006.jpeg

DSC00039.jpeg

• Like 2

• Platinum Member

thanks for the comments, i think i will take my time looking and go for the Cherokee, preferably petrol and red. 

• Platinum Member
MynameisCarlos

If you want a cherokee trailhawk they only come with one option, petrol 3.2 v6, if you are a looking for a cherokee limited or other trim then there is different engines to choose from, I have the red firecracker colour but is the only one here in the UK (part of the sale speech from the dealership) the red colour that jeep was bringing to the UK is call red cherry I think, is more like a darker red, last month were about 6 trailhawks for sale in autotrader, 2018 was the year when they stoped selling this model here so the closer to 2018 the better will be, good luck searching and hopefully I will see another cherokee trailhawk during the next event 👍

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

Hi Frosty, I have searches running all over the place and I  will pop your needs in . I was looking for the V6 ,I assume you are?   If anything pops up I'll let you know. What you want is your decision but narrowing your colour choice could mean a very long wait!  Neither of the two I found in, now, over a year were red.

Good luck .  Its a gr8 car

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
2 hours ago, stewart said:

What colour was your Cherokee Stewart? wasn't that firecracker red? or was it more orange?

• Platinum Member
MynameisCarlos

Yp18 is mine, I got it back in 2021 with less than 6k miles from Sheffield Stoneacre,  if was @stewart cherokee, I am happy to say that she is having a good life and is not coming back to his hands 🤣🤣

• Haha 2

• Platinum Member
16 hours ago, stewart said:

hi Stewart, the prices look similar, i have been looking at a black on Uk autotrader at around the same price but a bit older, making UK a bit more expensive, the one on autotrader was high speck, similar to the Aus one. 

• Administrators
On 14/02/2024 at 01:40, TimC said:

What colour was your Cherokee Stewart? wasn't that firecracker red? or was it more orange?

Hi Tim it was Mango Tango also had a performance stainless steel exhaust and rock sliders !! 

• 1 month later...
  • Platinum Member

does anyone know the towing capacity for a braked trailer for a 2016 Cherokee trailhawk, there is one on autotrad*r that i am considering. 

• Platinum Member
MynameisCarlos

Weight

Curb Weight

2,036 kg

Gross Weight

2,495 kg

Max Trailer Load, braked 12%

2,090 kg

Max Trailer Load, unbraked

450 kg

Cargo Capacity

459 kg

Max Roof Load

68 kg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

Is anyone bidding on the white Cherokee trailhawk that is in Johnsons of Swindon, they currently have it up for sale for £15,000 and will not budge on price due to "we have several people interested in this jeep, so we will not discount it", the current trade in price of that Jeep ( the price you would get for part exchange) is £10,600 so i would not pay more than £13,000. i think a £4,400 mark up is extortionate. 

4 hours ago, frosty said:

Is anyone bidding on the white Cherokee trailhawk that is in Johnsons of Swindon, they currently have it up for sale for £15,000 and will not budge on price due to "we have several people interested in this jeep, so we will not discount it", the current trade in price of that Jeep ( the price you would get for part exchange) is £10,600 so i would not pay more than £13,000. i think a £4,400 mark up is extortionate. 

You're assuming they gave bottom book for the part exchange. 

My wifes car gets changed every 3 years and we always get near retail price for the part exchange. 

• Platinum Member

it obviously depends on the deal you are doing, i am looking for a cash purchase( no PX, no finance), so i will not get as good a deal as someone who wants finance, also it depends on the price you are paying for the car you are buying, i swap my wife's car every 2 years, and my daily drive every year, so prices will vary, it is very unusual for a dealer to give retail price for a PX, unless they are making a profit elsewhere on the deal. 

• Platinum Member

Be aware that the Satnav cannot be updated so probably a pre 2016 version and now outdated.  Use that as an excuse to get them to knock a couple of hundred off.  Nice car though!

• Platinum Member
7 hours ago, MacManus said:

The satnav can be updated via usb stick from the stealer.

According to some reviews, apparently not on that model of Cherokee?  Stealer wanted over £400 to update the Satnav on our 2018 Grand Cherokee.

• Platinum Member

thanks for the info everyone, i am looking at an Overland model in Belfast as well, it is only a bit more expensive, but a 2018 year, and from a Jeep dealer as well.

• Platinum Member
6 minutes ago, frosty said:

thanks for the info everyone, i am looking at an Overland model in Belfast as well, it is only a bit more expensive, but a 2018 year, and from a Jeep dealer as well.

Ask about corrosion on the lip of the bonnet as that is very common issue and we had it on our 2018 GC.  Importantly use a CC to pay deposit and take some on HP for further protection.  I guess it will be a long way to go back if there are issues with the vehicle even if they are minor.

• Platinum Member

Overland model is a very good choice as it has active drive 2 gearbox with low range and descent control but a lot cheaper than equivalent year trailhawk.

• Platinum Member
On 24/04/2024 at 07:23, Surfer said:

According to some reviews, apparently not on that model of Cherokee?  Stealer wanted over £400 to update the Satnav on our 2018 Grand Cherokee.

Yes it is available on the KL Cherokee as I’ve had mine updated.

Also  no corrosion on the KL Cherokee bonnet as it’s aluminium.