Spare Wheel carrier

RogerB

• Platinum Member

I'm preferably looking for a heavy duty spare wheel carrier for my 2009 JEEP Wrangler JK. Failing this a standard carrier if in good condition. 

• Platinum Member

It’s not necessarily the carrier that needs to be heavy duty, it’s more the tailgate hinges. You can use a standard carrier and uprate  the hinges, it’s an easy swap out and there are several to choose from, Rugged Ridge, Terraflex ….. Depending on your wheel offset and tyre size though you might need a carrier that allows the wheel to be adjusted up and out

• Like 3

• Platinum Member

Thank's Tim however the standard carrier is falling apart as I have the extra weight of a bike on a carrier on the spare. 

• Platinum Member
jeepjimboy

Glad the bike carrier is still OK Roger, sorry about the jeep bit on the door though. I had changed mine to a rugged ridge mod.

• Haha 1

• Platinum Member

Depends on what you want to spend. I made my own,  mounted on the bumper, after examining  three different  'pukka'' jobs. It  cost under £100 including buying new steel , paint etc. They all had only one locking mechanism and one member explained to me how his had come open on the motorway! Mine has a double lock! Its not difficult providing you are reasonably handy. Around here if you can't weld then that would be extra, perhaps another £80.  You could probably get the whole thing made at an engineering company for a lot less than retail, plus post etc! Will post pics if you want!

Just a thought.

• Platinum Member

Hi Jim, It looks like the extra weight of the bike did for the flimsy standard aluminum carrier. I managed to lash the whole lot to the tailgate with straps for the remainder of our journey to Andalusia. I just need to fix it better for our journey home in March. However the aftermarket HD carriers look expensive. I'll look at Diggers option of getting one manufactured as I don't have access to a welding set.

Cheers Roger.

• Platinum Member

Hi Roger, a few pics. any more info ,ask!  The lever locks it shut and the shoot bolt is just an extra safety (padlock lockable) feature. note grease nipple on hinge.

061.JPG

063.JPG

064.JPG

066.JPG

068.JPG

Edited by digger
  • Like 1

• Platinum Member

Thanks Digger that's some structure. Sadly as I'm away in Spain I'll need to get home before I can manufacture one like that.

• Platinum Member
8 hours ago, RogerB said:

Thanks Digger that's some structure. Sadly as I'm away in Spain I'll need to get home before I can manufacture one like that.

Ah, well , I listened to 'V' who in the past has had 'pukka' ones that 'waggle' about etc. So, I made mine stiff by using large section rectangular box but  keeping wall thickness down to reduce weight. 

• 1 month later...
  • Platinum Member

Well I finally got sorted after my standard Mopar spare wheel carrier failed on my drive to Spain. It was proving impossible to source a replacement in Spain so Jeepey in UK have supplied a good condition second hand carrier. This is one they have removed from a Wrangler that was being upgraded. I have however beefed this one up with a glass fibre repair kit IWO where the old one fractured. I am also using belt and braces with some luggage straps around the tail gateto give extra support for when I also carry my bike. This also worked out  way cheaper than purchasing a heavy duty carrier.

20240311_184107.jpg

20240311_170646.jpg

20240311_163133.jpg

20240311_175248.jpg

• Platinum Member

I have a good condition KJ wheel carrier. It fits on a flat surface although you may have a different nut pattern.  Someone on here would know. You could have it but I see you are in Argyll. The post would be more than its worth . Its really beefy and looks from pics a lot stronger than your one.  Around here it would be a fiver from my scrappie so perhaps its worth a look around where you are!