France. St Symphorien de Marmagne , 'Jeep Week'

digger

• Platinum Member

Hi everyone,just a short report for those who have expressed interest. 

Unfortunately this event clashed with JOC Tong and  'Jeep Trek' Pennines both announced after this was booked! 

None the less it was a gr8 adventure trip to France travelling approx 500 miles from the ferry mainly along the beautiful  Loire valley,enjoying brilliant food, to an excellent event. There were many super Jeeps of all shapes and sizes. The off road course was unlike any I have been to before. The contour following route around it seemed easy! However once one had left the track it was a different story! Virtually all routes took place at a steep angle under tree cover (good job ,it was very hot!). The surface was of hard ground covered in a thick layer of gravel/leaves/sand meaning very little traction!  Sliding about ,between trees at pretty extreme angles for me was hairy,to say the least! The activities included a difficult trial (we spectated after seeing the course!) and a'Blind driving' competition which was gr8 fun! We had a good dinner on site Saturday night made even more entertaining by a severe thunderstorm in the middle of it. Scary fun hanging on to a tent pole with one hand while eating the meal with the other! Everyone was very friendly throughout and language was no barrier.

Many thanks to the brilliant organisers, Franco and his wife. Also to Wild Jeepers, Chris and Hazel for all their help and encouragement. Finally many thanks to my passenger/codriver Jerry without whose help and assistance I would have found the trip quite  impossible.

IMG_2295.JPG

IMG_2289.JPG

IMG_2292.JPG

IMG_2304.JPG

IMG_2305.JPG

IMG_2309.JPG

IMG_2313.JPG

IMG_2320.JPG

IMG_2329.JPG

IMG_2341.JPG

IMG_2334.JPG

IMG_2343.JPG

Edited by digger
  • Like 8

• Platinum Member

Looks great- Shame i was in Belgium that weekend- I had looked at coming down for the sat/sun but in the end just couldnt tie it all together

• 6 months later...
  • Platinum Member
Wildjeeper62

Hi Phil,

This is the first time I read your post and see your great pictures. I don't know how I have managed to miss it for such a long time ! 

Just wanted to say that the organisers Franco and Carole were very pleased to welcome you and Jerry to their Event and they asked me if you fancy going back this year.

I know it's a long drive from UK so not sure you want to do it again. I will go back with Hazel this year and with my Jeep this year so it will be more Fun.

The dates are 12/13/14 July, if someone else is interested please let me know.

Chris 

20240201_153715.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wildjeeper62 said:

Hi Phil,

This is the first time I read your post and see your great pictures. I don't know how I have managed to miss it for such a long time ! 

Just wanted to say that the organisers Franco and Carole were very pleased to welcome you and Jerry to their Event and they asked me if you fancy going back this year.

I know it's a long drive from UK so not sure you want to do it again. I will go back with Hazel this year and with my Jeep this year so it will be more Fun.

The dates are 12/13/14 July, if someone else is interested please let me know.

Chris 

20240201_153715.jpg

I would have been interested, but we are on holiday on those dates.

Is that an old picture or one of the Jeep after you picked it up recently?

• Platinum Member
Wildjeeper62
22 hours ago, UKTJ said:

I would have been interested, but we are on holiday on those dates.

Is that an old picture or one of the Jeep after you picked it up recently?

It's the 2024 version. Below is the way it used to be.

Right side.jpg

• Like 3

Looking really sharp.  I particularly like the new roof.  Hopefully it won't be too long before we are both at the same event.

• Like 2

• Platinum Member
Wildjeeper62

Thanks Terry. Yes I hope there will be some new events to attend soon.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

Hi WJ, 

We had a brillliant time in France, gr8 scenery, good food, gr8 Jeeping and many thanks for all your help and support.

Will I go again? We'll see! I'd love to but I'm not getting any younger and it was a long way. Perhaps next year, I'll wait and see how I get on doing Ignacio's Transpirencia. Look forward to seeing you at 'Jeep Trek' in May which looks like my first UK event this year.

You doing Belgium Jeepers Week in September this year?

Edited by digger
  • Like 1

• Platinum Member
6 hours ago, UKTJ said:

Looking really sharp.  I particularly like the new roof.  Hopefully it won't be too long before we are both at the same event.

Ditto, new roof and new half doors as well, very nice 👌 

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
Wildjeeper62
On 06/02/2024 at 20:33, TimC said:

Ditto, new roof and new half doors as well, very nice 👌 

Thanks Tim. Also new rear bumper, new Windscreen with Frame, new steel wings (not the plastic fenders) and new bonnet and complete Raptor respray from different shop. New OME Springs to lower it as C.O.G. was too high and new Yokohama Geolander 37x13.50R17. Even the wing mirrors are new and come from Australia as the mirrors I bought from my friend in Belgium were for LHD.  I never knew the wing mirrors for the JK were different for LHD and RHD. So if someone has got a LHD JK and needs new wing mirrors, give me a shout. I also have a complete set of Terraflex Springs( +5in for 4 Door JK/+6in for 2 Door JK) to get rid off.

• Platinum Member
Wildjeeper62
On 06/02/2024 at 17:45, digger said:

Hi WJ, 

We had a brillliant time in France, gr8 scenery, good food, gr8 Jeeping and many thanks for all your help and support.

Will I go again? We'll see! I'd love to but I'm not getting any younger and it was a long way. Perhaps next year, I'll wait and see how I get on doing Ignacio's Transpirencia. Look forward to seeing you at 'Jeep Trek' in May which looks like my first UK event this year.

Hi Phil,

As far as I know the guys who organised the Belgium Jeeper's Day have separated. This is why they didn't organise one last year. I just messaged my friend Cedric to ask him if they have created a new group to organise one this year. I will let you know when I get an update.

• Like 1

I did think it was sitting a little lower, but concluded it was probably my eyes playing tricks on me.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
Wildjeeper62
4 minutes ago, TimC said:

That is one helluva Jeep Chris! 😁😎

It needed a fair bit of TLC after I rolled it 3 or 4 times last July at Hawkstone Park. At the time I thought I would have to scrap it.

Edited by Wildjeeper62

• Platinum Member
Just now, Wildjeeper62 said:

It needed a fair bit of TLC after I rolled it 3 or 4 times last July at Hawstone Park. At the time I thought I would have to scrap it.

Ouch! Blimey, I'd heard there was a roll at Jeeps in the Jungle, didn't realise that was you. Hope you came out of it OK.

• Platinum Member
Wildjeeper62
1 minute ago, TimC said:

Ouch! Blimey, I'd heard there was a roll at Jeeps in the Jungle, didn't realise that was you. Hope you came out of it OK.

Yes we were lucky that I had fitted an inside Roll cage few years ago otherwise I wouldn't be writing to you now. The stock sports bars wouldn't have lasted more than one roll. I know that because even the Rock Hard inside cage was bent and the frame of the windscreen was torn like cardboard.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wildjeeper62 said:

It needed a fair bit of TLC after I rolled it 3 or 4 times last July at Hawkstone Park. At the time I thought I would have to scrap it.

It certainly looks a lot better than it did that day!

Really pleased it did not have to scrappec, as you know your's is my favourite Jeep in the club.  My worry at the time was that the engine was damaged by the roll, so glad that wasn't the case.

• Like 2

• Platinum Member

I remember seeing that cage at JeepTrek one of those things that might seem a bit over the top but saved you when you needed it. Glad you were fortunate enough to come out unscathed and good that you were able to get the Jeep sorted, it looks even better now than it did before, silver lining eh? 😁  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Wildjeeper62 said:

Yes we were lucky that I had fitted an inside Roll cage few years ago otherwise I wouldn't be writing to you now. The stock sports bars wouldn't have lasted more than one roll. I know that because even the Rock Hard inside cage was bent and the frame of the windscreen was torn like cardboard.

Was that the bolt in Rock Hard cage?  I have looked at bolt in cages, but a lot of internet comment is negative, but if that was a bolt in and withstood that it is a fantastic advert for the strength of the product.

Maybe you could contact Rock Hard, they might give you some reimbursement for being able to use pictures of the Jeep post roll as marketting?

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
Wildjeeper62
2 minutes ago, UKTJ said:

It certainly looks a lot better than it did that day!

Really pleased it did not have to scrappec, as you know your's is my favourite Jeep in the club.  My worry at the time was that the engine was damaged by the roll, so glad that wasn't the case.

Yes the engine was not damaged but something pierced the custom made Radiator so I had to get another one made and get another Radiator Frame. What amazed Jim Sunderland and me is that we never found what exactly damaged the radiator.

• Platinum Member
Wildjeeper62
8 minutes ago, UKTJ said:

Was that the bolt in Rock Hard cage?  I have looked at bolt in cages, but a lot of internet comment is negative, but if that was a bolt in and withstood that it is a fantastic advert for the strength of the product.

Maybe you could contact Rock Hard, they might give you some reimbursement for being able to use pictures of the Jeep post roll as marketting?

Yes it was and I fitted it myself, in my humble opinion that equipment is worth it's weight in gold. No I won't bother contacting that company, I think I fitted that cage 7 or 8 years ago. The other thing that was "lucky" is that we both had our safety belts on. That sounds like obvious but since that happened during the "Treasure hunt" Hazel kept hopping in and out of the Jeep to help clicking the card or to take photos.

• Platinum Member
Wildjeeper62
On 06/02/2024 at 17:45, digger said:

Hi WJ, 

Hi Phil,

I had confirmation there won't be another Belgium Jeeper's Day this year. I asked him to message me if there is another Belgium event this year. I will keep you updated if that's the case.

• Like 2

• Platinum Member

Thanks WJ, that 's a pity. It was a gr8 event too!😃

• Like 1