jeeptrek23.7 - Northern England East Coast to West Coast Expedition

V

• Platinum Member

This four day expedition from the East coast of Yorkshire, through the Yorkshire Moors, the Yorkshire Dales and Lake District in Cumbria, starts on Monday 17th July 2023. This is the week between JOC Tong on the 16th (in Yorkshire) and Birty's Summer Walters on the 22nd. It's a green laning expedition where almost 1/3rd of the route planned is on byways and UCRs. It's not a tour, this is a freshly developed route that we are exploring. We have used the lane descriptions from recent reports on GLASS TW2 and other sources to create this route. The remainder of the journey is on rural roads so this will be a real cross-country scenic expedition using wild camping sites and at least one regular, but basic camp site with showers. This event is run as a not-for-profit. It is currently listed on the jeeptrek calendar as £0 cost, but this will change as soon as I have to start paying deposits on pitch reservations. Camping fee budget is estimated at £100 per Jeep with 1 or 2 adults for the week.

Priority booking is currently available to the jeeptrek Fellowship. However, on Sunday 11th June it will also be open to Applicants. If you have already registered as an Applicant on jeeptrek.rocks, check that your email address is still good. You will receive an email as soon as the booking opens. If not, register now on the login page https://jeeptrek.rocks/login/ and take a look again on Sunday for a new menu option.

If you are already planning on travelling North for JOC Tong on the Sunday, the starting point for this trip is another hour and 45 minutes away on the North Yorkshire coast on the following morning.

• Like 3

• Platinum Member

The Sunday mailshot has gone out. The booking page is now open to Applicants.

Login on https://jeeptrek.rocks

Go to the Calendar menu option

Find the 'jeeptrek23.7' event. If it is still listed as 'Restricted Content' check that you are logged in and have refreshed your browser's page cache.

Scroll down to RSVP Here and click the 'Going' button.

As soon as the minimum number of explorers have been met, Applicants that have RSVP'd will be converted to 'Drivers' and have access to the expedition details.

• Like 2

I am sadly unable to attend this event due to a clashing family commitment.  But having been to a JeepTrek event organised by @V in May, I can say without fear of contradiction that you will not be disappointed if you go, the events he organises are superb.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Platinum Member

Thanks Terry. I enjoy organising events as much as I do going to them. I think all of our guests in May experienced challenges that tested their abilities and what they thought they could do with their Jeep. I enjoyed the smiles of delight watching you all conquer the terrain obstacles that we encountered. I'm looking forward to you seeing the same with next year's guests.

When this expedition has finished I will publish the route and logistics info for anyone that wishes to use it for another expedition.

• Like 3

• Platinum Member
Wildjeeper62

Unfortunately we won't be able to attend this expedition either as we will be on our way back from another Jeep Event in France.

We know this will be another great adventure organised by Vince and the idea of starting it the day after the JOC Event at Tong makes it even more attractive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
Fireman Iain

I jumped onto this event at the last minute, and what a cracking few days it's been. Many thanks to Vince for the huge amount of effort he put in to organising.

And to both him and Mark in their patience waiting/spotting for me on the trickier bits. Thanks fellas, I had A blast.

Screenshot_20230721_130302_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230721_130325_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230721_130353_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230721_130357_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230721_130406_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230721_130427_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230721_130447_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Fireman Iain
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Fireman Iain said:

I jumped onto this event at the last minute, and what a cracking few days it's been. Many thanks to Vince for the huge amount of effort he put in to organising.

And to both him and Mark in their patience waiting/spotting for me on the trickier bits. Thanks fellas, I had A blast.

Glad you had a great time, pics look excellent.  Not a surprise though, given who you were with as they are first class Jeepers.  The time and effort Vince puts in to organising events is genuinely inspirational.

• Platinum Member
3 hours ago, Fireman Iain said:

Screenshot_20230721_130302_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230721_130325_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230721_130353_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230721_130357_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230721_130406_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230721_130427_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230721_130447_Gallery.jpg

Very annoyed I could not make it to this event!!! looks amazing...

• Platinum Member

Sad that I missed this event it looks really good. I had booked another event in France when it was announced by Vince. I naively thought '' Ah well it looks a bit tough for me any way''! Little did I know! The France event nearly finished me off !!! (post elsewhere)

Well done Vince! King of the trek!

Edited by digger

• Platinum Member
On 21/07/2023 at 13:06, Fireman Iain said:

Thanks fellas, I had A blast.

I did too. A truly memorable adventure. Thanks for sharing the trail leading. It was really good enjoying the lanes following the leader for a change.  I will be making the effort to find a dependable navigation solution and comms for the next one. Both new CB and old PMR both failed on day 5.

We drove up the Bootle Fell lane on the way home. Those washed out bits were great. We also did Grizedale in the other direction in the rain. I went down the big rock but in the middle of the descent I got worried that my back wheel would slide out on the wet surface. I changed course but backed out before it got messy. Mark spotted me on the line that I originally picked for the big rock and all was good.

Will post photos when I have a bit more time.

Edited by V
  • Like 2

• Platinum Member

Some good pics on Breasthigh, Parkamoor and the one past the big sculpture. Looking forward to the rest. Isn’t Grizedale one way, west to east ? 🤔

• Platinum Member
15 hours ago, TimC said:

Isn’t Grizedale one way, west to east ?

I believe there was a voluntary one way some time ago but there was nothing on TW2 to suggest that it was still required. Recent TW2 reports showed driving from East to West and there were no voluntary restraint notices posted at the East end of the lane. We saw plenty of GLASS/TRF notices along the coast-to-coast route for gate closing and keeping to the track but I didn't see any voluntary restraint notices.

• Platinum Member

Yeah, it was a voluntary restraint. I assumed that it was still in place but I am probably out of date. I think, like the voluntary one way on Bastard Lane it was put in place to try to stop people doing the big rock step ( or the Waterfall) uphill to try and reduce damage. I really don’t think this works as, because of where these obstacles are, once you’ve done it downhill you can just turn round and drive back up it before continuing the lane in the downhill direction. Maybe that’s why they dropped it. There is also an easy bypass on the rock step so again maybe the one way wasn’t effective or necessary.

By the way, how was Breasthigh Lane after the “repairs” ? Have they graded it and ruined it? Looks like the ford was fairly full too.