JL Loose Water Pump Inlet Tube

Deniz

Hi all,

I've encountered a strange phenomenon yesterday early in the morning so decided to post here in case anyone is having the same issues. It was early morning and quite cool (around 9-10 Celsius). When I dropped my brother to the airport I realized the fan was working constantly and fount that pretty strange considering the outside temperature. There was no issue with the temp dial on the dashboard but that made me think. When I closely monitor the temp dial, realized the temperature was not constant and the fan was constant.

Soon after I came to home, decided to investigate a little closely and found out there was a pressure loss from the coolant inlet where it connect to the engine (maybe to the water pump no idea). Coolant levels were ok so apparently caught that pretty early stages. 

Luckily I've booked my annual service next Monday and when I called the dealer today they told me there is no availability beforehand. Of course there wont be, why should it be. 

When I searched deeper in the dark pages of the world wide web, found out actually there is a recall for that particular issues. 

No idea what is the overall issue in UK for these recalls but seems like we are missing quite a bit of those repairs that our American cousins are benefitting. 

image.png.ef541bcfe199192dfd5d3160b6338a69.png

image.png.188d0c9772852fc5bab0289b2ea525d8.png  

12 minutes ago, Deniz said:

Hi all,

I've encountered a strange phenomenon yesterday early in the morning so decided to post here in case anyone is having the same issues. It was early morning and quite cool (around 9-10 Celsius). When I dropped my brother to the airport I realized the fan was working constantly and fount that pretty strange considering the outside temperature. There was no issue with the temp dial on the dashboard but that made me think. When I closely monitor the temp dial, realized the temperature was not constant and the fan was constant.

Soon after I came to home, decided to investigate a little closely and found out there was a pressure loss from the coolant inlet where it connect to the engine (maybe to the water pump no idea). Coolant levels were ok so apparently caught that pretty early stages. 

Luckily I've booked my annual service next Monday and when I called the dealer today they told me there is no availability beforehand. Of course there wont be, why should it be. 

When I searched deeper in the dark pages of the world wide web, found out actually there is a recall for that particular issues. 

No idea what is the overall issue in UK for these recalls but seems like we are missing quite a bit of those repairs that our American cousins are benefitting. 

image.png.ef541bcfe199192dfd5d3160b6338a69.png

image.png.188d0c9772852fc5bab0289b2ea525d8.png  

Hopefully will be resolved by the dealer.

No surprise to me that US owners are getting better care.  My guess is the US may be the only market with a big enough population of Jeeps to have a dedicated Jeep team.  I wonder if all other markets are now in a position where looking after Jeep is a job that is simply done off the side of the desk of a team with other brand responsibilities.

31 minutes ago, UKTJ said:

Hopefully will be resolved by the dealer.

No surprise to me that US owners are getting better care.  My guess is the US may be the only market with a big enough population of Jeeps to have a dedicated Jeep team.  I wonder if all other markets are now in a position where looking after Jeep is a job that is simply done off the side of the desk of a team with other brand responsibilities.

It seems quite simple job but didn't want to mess with it since it's still under warranty. 

• Platinum Member

The number of recalls that don't make it to the UK is not a new problem, it's been going on for decades. I think it has more to do with statistics and probability.

Many years ago I took my British registered RHD XJ and TJ into the best franchised Jeep dealership I have ever been a customer of, Burger Chrysler, Terre Haute, Indiana. Both of my Jeeps were fully up to date on UK recalls and TSBs. However, when the service manager entered my VINs into his system, it came up with urgently required recalls. I think some may have been 'Do Not Drive Notices'. He couldn't risk letting me drive the Jeeps away on US roads without ALL of the recalls being applied to both Jeeps. Whoever he called at Jeep automatically approved all of the work to be done for free - 5 hours + parts on both Jeeps, same day, while I waited. Neither were in warranty. Why did this happen? I think US citizens are more litigious and compensatory payouts are common. In the UK, with fewer vehicle sales for the brand and customers likely to pay for preventative maintenance when advised to do so, car manufacturers can get their customers to foot the bill on some of the lower probability faults. It also goes that statistically there will be more legal professionals driving Jeeps in the USA than in the UK.

The UK dealers hate us finding US Technical Service Bulletins as it puts them on the spot if Jeep UK has not issued one. If you are in warranty, pursue the matter with your dealer. Out of warranty, discuss your concerns with DVSA. If nobody contacts DVSA it becomes a three monkeys issue 🙈🙉🙊.

Edited by V
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Spike64 said:

Hi,

is this for a petrol of diesel engine ?

Many thanks

Ian

ah sorry @Spike64  it is for 2L petrol engine. 

• Platinum Member

Considering the Wranglers are manufactured in the US, any and all recalls should be applied to the UK market as well. Apart from where the steering wheel is located, we have literally the same engine specs and such, the same issues. 

Another point to take up with Jeep UK HQ

• Platinum Member

Raakhee & Deniz,

Thanks for the updates, really appreciated.

Its a shame the owners have to do the homework and our service departments don't keep us informed. They had so many attempts to fix my alarm, I dealt with the hard top leaks myself as it was easier to google the answers. After a recent visit to fix an oil leak I had to reseure the breather pipe left dangling. I think once the warranty is finished I will be looking for an indie workshop (if there are any in Kent).

Cheers Ian👍

• Like 2

• Platinum Member
On 07/06/2023 at 09:39, Spike64 said:

Raakhee & Deniz,

Thanks for the updates, really appreciated.

Its a shame the owners have to do the homework and our service departments don't keep us informed. They had so many attempts to fix my alarm, I dealt with the hard top leaks myself as it was easier to google the answers. After a recent visit to fix an oil leak I had to reseure the breather pipe left dangling. I think once the warranty is finished I will be looking for an indie workshop (if there are any in Kent).

Cheers Ian👍

You can always go to Buzz Special Vehicles for your service and maintenance. Bit of a drive for you but you can be assured that you will get good service.

https://www.buzzspecialvehicles.co.uk/

Exactly @Raakhee, I use @Buzz for everything related with my Jeep. As soon as my service plan finishes, which is now, I'll be going there. And also there were some warranty issues that need to be sorted fi they can. 

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
On 12/06/2023 at 12:46, Deniz said:

Exactly @Raakhee, I use @Buzz for everything related with my Jeep. As soon as my service plan finishes, which is now, I'll be going there. And also there were some warranty issues that need to be sorted fi they can. 

Just got back from my first service with HWM Sports Cars. Really good service from them. The guys were fascinated that I off road and my Jeep is still clean 😆

Once my Jeep Wave vouchers are used up, I'll be going to Buzz as well.

2 hours ago, Raakhee said:

Just got back from my first service with HWM Sports Cars. Really good service from them. The guys were fascinated that I off road and my Jeep is still clean 😆

Once my Jeep Wave vouchers are used up, I'll be going to Buzz as well.

Better hope HWM don't read your post.  If they will lose your business anyway its a waste of time for them to give good service next time 😂

Sadly, given their excellent reputation, Buzz don't do anything for TJs so not somewhere I can use, though I did see on their website that they stock parts for the new Defender 😱

• Platinum Member
On 13/06/2023 at 17:08, UKTJ said:

Better hope HWM don't read your post.  If they will lose your business anyway its a waste of time for them to give good service next time 😂

Maybe next time they should give me such great service that I don't go elsewhere 😉