Jeep Trek '23

digger

• Platinum Member

Many thanks to V for a brill event yet again!  👍

More pics when I've recovered!  🤠

It was real easy, we did it in someone's garden!

IMG_2233.JPG

Edited by digger
  • Like 5

• Platinum Member

A few pics for aspiring JOC Trekkers. Gr8 Jeeping, gr8 fun, gr8 food and exceptional offroading!!  That Paella was master chef.  Mr Pizza's oven was terrific, they just kept coming! 😀

Ps YJs is best.  4 combatants rescued! 👍

That Landy has a Jeep engine , with a gr8 guy in control (usually) 🤠

Thanks to those who took pics of me and apologies for any omissions!🤪

IMG_2229.JPG

IMG_2219.JPG

IMG_2209.JPG

IMG_2207.JPG

IMG_2194.JPG

IMG_2191.JPG

IMG_2158.JPG

IMG_2151.JPG

IMG_2104.JPG

IMG_2133.JPG

IMG_2095.JPG

IMG_2082.JPG

IMG_2099.JPG

IMG_2084.JPG

IMG_2077.JPG

IMG_2199.JPG

IMG_2060.JPG

IMG_2215.JPG

IMG_2044.JPG

IMG_2188.JPG

IMG_2231.JPG

IMG_2202.JPG

IMG_2118.JPG

IMG_2154.JPG

IMG_2107.JPG

IMG_2224.JPG

IMG_2075.JPG

IMG_2161.JPG

IMG_2225.JPG

IMG_2218.JPG

IMG_2110.JPG

IMG_2152.JPG

• Like 9

• Platinum Member

Looks like I missed a good one again. Although i would have had to pull-out anyway if it wasn't already not coming due to a funeral landing on that weekend...

Fantastic pics mate. 

Hopefully next year 

Edited by doodle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Platinum Member
Wildjeeper62

Superb Pics Mr Digger !! 

Thanks to Vince to organise such a great event. We both had a Brilliant time.

I will upload some pics soon.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Platinum Member
On 24/05/2023 at 21:32, V said:

Doodle, I have booked Tuff Terrains for next year's event, 16th-20th May.

getting it locked in now!

• Like 3

What a fantastic weekend.  Best offroading trip so far.  The Tuff Terrains site is brilliant and Bernie the owner is extremely generous with his time and expertise.  I'm no photographer, but a few additional snaps for anyone interested...

image.thumb.png.3f89721fb01734b2ab860d75a0f488bb.png

image.thumb.png.6ab483de44944830c8966cd233ccc6af.png

image.thumb.png.22b3d2bfcb57e6799885cfa725393422.png

image.thumb.png.4b3138a5b73b0efb581c332d23636db0.png

image.thumb.png.a4c246b43b61646e01a944f01920c576.png

image.thumb.png.ece1b4c0d023e41a6cdad2f38c517e6f.png

image.thumb.png.8f92aae3b1eae12fb0a93ed6c9a597e8.png

image.thumb.png.828ffeec59fb643f6741cadc9f9fbc51.png

image.thumb.png.d7d3d0eb3a68861669be402d4f285e30.png

image.thumb.png.7a6ca5d01d09abd92980b004144dd78f.png

image.thumb.png.80be8ae7f20745cd62b78812a0512df0.png

• Like 4

• Platinum Member
stinger108

Great w/e, thanks Vince for the superb organisation and fun.

Cannot wait for the next year.

Meanwhile a couple of videos I took at the end of day 2 of our favourite Portuenglish lad.

• Like 6

• Platinum Member

Ignacio, was that the lane that we met the Series 1 Land Rovers on? I'm glad you got some video of it. Did anyone get any video of you going through the same obstacle?

• Platinum Member
stinger108

That's the one Vince. quite a very good fun for the end of the day

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member
On 27/05/2023 at 16:26, V said:

Ignacio, was that the lane that we met the Series 1 Land Rovers on? I'm glad you got some video of it. Did anyone get any video of you going through the same obstacle?

I tried but by the time I went down he was pretty much done!

• Platinum Member

I cannot believe I have missed this post... work has been crazy - that was such a great long weekend - shame we cannot do it all the time 🙂 @V I have noted the dates to aks  for time off at work #justsaying lol

Need to sort out my videos - there are some cracking ones!

IMG_6532.jpg

IMG_6538.jpg

IMG_6551.jpg

IMG_6555.jpg

IMG_6561.jpg

IMG_6568.jpg

IMG_6603.jpg

IMG_6686.jpg

IMG_6717.jpg

IMG_6720.jpg

IMG_6728.jpg

IMG_6767.jpg

IMG_6778.jpg

• Like 3

• Platinum Member

Apologies , I forgot to mention that fantastic stew that Hazel made in Vince's terrific cast iron cook pot (I think he called it a dutch oven but I'm not that posh😁)  Any way it was brill, the stew and the pot, we just stuck it on the fire and it was done!👍

Edited by digger
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Platinum Member
5 minutes ago, digger said:

Apologies , I forgot to mention that fantastic stew that Hazel made in Vince's terrific cast iron cook pot (I think he called it a dutch oven but I'm not that posh😁)

I think you forgot to mention the chef that made us a full English everyday... I felt spoiled lol

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
10 hours ago, digger said:

Apologies , I forgot to mention that fantastic stew that Hazel made in Vince's terrific cast iron cook pot (I think he called it a dutch oven but I'm not that posh😁)  Any way it was brill, the stew and the pot, we just stuck it on the fire and it was done!👍

That would be what us South Africans call a "potjiekos". A layered stew cooked in a Dutch oven 😋

• Platinum Member

I think our fire was on the hot side as it melted the flimsy cooking tripod so we got rid of it and put the pot straight into the fire as I've seen it done in the USA. It was building up steam inside like a pressure cooker and we topped up the water level and gave it a stir each time to stop the ingredients sticking to the bottom of the pot. The last few minutes it was cooking with the lid off and a few more stirs.

From what I have just read, the the South African potjiekos has three differences, much lower heat, longer cooking time and no stirring. I am going to try this method soon.

I would also like to try making bread in a Dutch oven, I have had sponge cake, fruit cobblers and something like a steamed treacle pudding from campfire Dutch ovens. My friend's Mum, 'Grandma Ward' cooked many meals for us on the campfire when we were exploring Colorado and Utah. I was amazed by the variety of meals that she made for us on an open fire and grateful that she spent time with me to pass on some of her knowledge. I've forgotten a lot of what she told me, but having seen it done, I am enthusiastic to learn and do more.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, V said:

I think our fire was on the hot side as it melted the flimsy cooking tripod so we got rid of it and put the pot straight into the fire as I've seen it done in the USA. It was building up steam inside like a pressure cooker and we topped up the water level and gave it a stir each time to stop the ingredients sticking to the bottom of the pot. The last few minutes it was cooking with the lid off and a few more stirs.

From what I have just read, the the South African potjiekos has three differences, much lower heat, longer cooking time and no stirring. I am going to try this method soon.

I would also like to try making bread in a Dutch oven, I have had sponge cake, fruit cobblers and something like a steamed treacle pudding from campfire Dutch ovens. My friend's Mum, 'Grandma Ward' cooked many meals for us on the campfire when we were exploring Colorado and Utah. I was amazed by the variety of meals that she made for us on an open fire and grateful that she spent time with me to pass on some of her knowledge. I've forgotten a lot of what she told me, but having seen it done, I am enthusiastic to learn and do more.

I imagine that key to that level of variety will be the ability to get it really clean inside.  I was once served a pineapple upside down pudding cooked in a dish previously used to cook lamb in but not fully cleaned.  Not something I would recommend 😆

• Like 2

• Platinum Member
1 hour ago, V said:

Yummee!! 

😃

• Platinum Member
1 hour ago, UKTJ said:

I imagine that key to that level of variety will be the ability to get it really clean inside.  I was once served a pineapple upside down pudding cooked in a dish previously used to cook lamb in but not fully cleaned.  Not something I would recommend 😆

Ah, the joy of camping!   😀

• Haha 1

• Platinum Member

I didn't clean my oven straight away after eating, which I regretted not doing the following day. I watched a video today that reminded me of the steam cleaning method I was shown how to do while the pot is still hot. I am going to use the YouTube channel below to relearn what I have forgotten and become better at cooking outdoors over an open fire with the Dutch oven.

https://www.youtube.com/@CowboyKentRollins

• Like 2

• Platinum Member
22 minutes ago, V said:

I didn't clean my oven straight away after eating, which I regretted not doing the following day. I watched a video today that reminded me of the steam cleaning method I was shown how to do while the pot is still hot. I am going to use the YouTube channel below to relearn what I have forgotten and become better at cooking outdoors over an open fire with the Dutch oven.

I love his cooker!  😉  Now, could I modify my trailer to........

I'd have to build one though, another set of chrome molys has just cost me a few bob!

Edited by digger
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, V said:

Funnily enough I came across this very channel for the first time a couple of weeks ago, I was looking for tips on hot smoking salmon.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
5 hours ago, UKTJ said:

Funnily enough I came across this very channel for the first time a couple of weeks ago, I was looking for tips on hot smoking salmon.

Do you catch your own?  😃  Fly?