Apple Expands Emergency SOS via Satellite to UK, France, Germany, and Ireland

JimC

• Platinum Member

From MacRumours - https://www.macrumors.com/2022/12/13/apple-emergency-sos-satellite-feature-uk/

Tuesday December 13, 2022 1:02 am PST by Tim Hardwick

Apple today announced the expansion of Emergency SOS via Satellite and Find My via satellite functionality to the United Kingdom, France, Germany, and Ireland.

image.png

iPhone 14 users can now connect with emergency services when cellular and Wi-Fi coverage are not available, and calls from the Emergency SOS via Satellite feature will be routed to local emergency services facilities.

Apple's Emergency SOS via Satellite feature is available to all ‌iPhone 14‌ users running iOS 16.1 in supported countries and it is free to use for two years. It is designed to allow iPhone users to make emergency calls using satellite connectivity outdoors when no cellular or WiFi connection is available.

Apple says that with the release of iOS 16.2, expected later today, users who dial a local emergency service number will automatically be routed to 112, the European emergency phone number, if the call does not go through due to a cellular or Wi-Fi connection not being available, enabling them to utilize Emergency SOS via satellite even if they don't dial 112.

"Emergency SOS via satellite makes emergency communications over satellite more accessible, which is very exciting,” said Gary Machado, the European Emergency Number Association's CEO. "In practice, it means that many more people will be able to contact 112 when they have no mobile coverage and need urgent assistance. We are confident that this will save many lives and offer significant help to emergency services dealing with these often very complicated rescues."

"Being able to use a satellite connection to contact 999 or 112 if there is no cellular or Wi-Fi coverage is a breakthrough that Apple has brought to the general public with iPhone 14," said John Anthony, the British Association of Public Safety Communications Officials' president. "The feature will mean that emergency services can be alerted when it was not previously possible and are then able to do their jobs to better effect, in part because of the initial information that can be shared with dispatchers, such as location and essential details about the emergency. Ultimately, this will help save lives."

Emergency SOS via Satellite launched in the United States and Canada last month, and at the time, Apple said that it would expand to France, Germany, Ireland, and the UK in December. Support for more countries will follow next year, according to Apple.

Satellite connectivity can also be used to update a ‌‌Find My‌‌ location without WiFi or cellular connectivity through the ‌‌Find My‌‌ app.

• Platinum Member

For users who go out of cellular or Wi-Fi range but don’t experience an emergency, this advanced technology also enables them to share their location via satellite with Find My. In the Find My app, users can open the Me tab, swipe up to see My Location via Satellite, and tap Send My Location. The satellite connection on the iPhone 14 lineup also works with other safety features available on iPhone and Apple Watch, including Crash Detection and Fall Detection.

image.png

• Platinum Member

Can I try out Emergency SOS via Satellite?

Yes, kind of. Apple created a demo mode that lets your iPhone connect to a satellite without calling or contacting 911. The experience is nearly identical to what I did, except you are not contacting emergency services.

To start the demo, go outside and open Settings. Then, tap Emergency SOS and scroll to the bottom to try the demo.

The Emergency SOS via Satellite demo turns off your cellular connection and gives you a preview of the emergency questionnaire. But again, it's not actually contacting emergency services.

Next, the demo walks you through finding a satellite. It's a good way to familiarize yourself with the feature should you ever need it. (Plus, connecting your iPhone to a satellite is just cool.)

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

Looks great and would save me setting off my Rocket Flares next time I break down in that far off lonely valley with no cell phone reception 🎆  

😀

• Platinum Member

Next you need to get the emergency services to go where you are... they do not even send ambulances to the Salisbury Plain (well, NHS Ambulances...) - I did notice this on my phone the other day - was wondering what the satellite symbol was!

• Platinum Member
2 hours ago, MGomes said:

Next you need to get the emergency services to go where you are... they do not even send ambulances to the Salisbury Plain (well, NHS Ambulances...) - I did notice this on my phone the other day - was wondering what the satellite symbol was!

I wonder if I press my SOS button next time we out on Salisbury Plains, will Jeep send someone 🤔

• Haha 1

• Platinum Member
On 20/12/2022 at 21:07, Raakhee said:

I wonder if I press my SOS button next time we out on Salisbury Plains, will Jeep send someone 🤔

Well - be careful - if you break down on the south side of the plain the closest Jeep Dealer is Snow's Jeep - we all know how they feel about Jeeps being off road LOL

• Haha 1

• Platinum Member
56 minutes ago, MGomes said:

Well - be careful - if you break down on the south side of the plain the closest Jeep Dealer is Snow's Jeep - we all know how they feel about Jeeps being off road LOL

They have not encountered a lady like me yet 😆

• Haha 1