Windscreen replacement

Chris85

• Platinum Member

Evening all

So, after leaving at 0530 and driving for 4 hours to Portsmouth for a series of client meetings, 10 minutes from my destination and this happens. A passing lorry decided to throw up a large stone and scare the living crap out of me in the process. The crack proceeded to get far bigger than in the photos as I chose to turn around and drive all the way back to the East mids.

I have Autoglass coming out tomorrow to replace and I seem to recall seeing a conversation regarding wrangler windscreen replacement and it being hit and miss with regards to the proper units being installed on wranglers.

Anyone have any experience here?

Cheers,

Chris

5FF43F92-C595-4330-BD43-E51078296799.heic 5A620051-B12D-48C2-99B9-B1F2F36120B0.heic

• Platinum Member

You've got to keep the gap around the glass same as stock, or it will generate wind noise just like blowing over an empty beer bottle once you get near 30mph.

This happened to mine, something I'd never given a thought to until it happened.

At the time went into dealers and measured the gap around glass screen and took it back to Autoglass who took off and repositioned it.

Two days later or so,  my my nice new 'clear' screen got hit with an incoming meteorite, hell of a shock, but only  a surface scratch and has held up OK since.

Just ensure when its replaced they keep the positioning same as before.

• Platinum Member

I can't see your pictures for some reason 🤷‍♂️

Are the windscreens from Autoglass just a pattern part?   Or are they genuine OEM with the Easter egg in the corner too?

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

Mine wasn't an original as the dealers said they cost a fortune and probably couldn't get one anyway, but that was a few years back.

Couldn't view pics either as needs some driver I aint got.

What autoglass supplied those years back has been perfectly adequate.

Apparently you can get a Gorilla Glass  replacement, at least in stateside but costs plenty.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

Sorry guys,  it sure what happened on the formatting of those photos. 

will see what they come up with today. 

E9C5E1A1-8675-4F55-813B-BC3059BDC062.jpeg

E648AFF7-399B-447A-BFAA-8476CA1030DD.jpeg

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

I had a chip repaired on my Car (a lorry coming out of a quarry "gave me a present" on the way to Glastonbury... fortunately it was repaired, but according to the Autoglass guy these happen a lot with Rubicons, so they actually have the original windscreens in stock

• Like 2

• Platinum Member

So not long had the guy leave having fitted the new screen. Although missing the small Jeep sticker at the bottom corner it looks solid. They guarentee no water ingress or excess wind noise so this is good enough for me. The guy who did the fitting was superb as well so that always helps. 

• Like 2

• Platinum Member

I can see the second set of photos fine.

Thanks for the update, glad they sorted it!

• Like 1