New to the Jeep world but loving it!

Bigfella

• Platinum Member

Hi all, my wife has loved the wrangler forever and always wanted one so we have finally taken the plunge.  To say she is happy is an understatement, we have gone for a 2019 5 door JL, can anyone recommend the must have extras that we should add.  Thanks in advance 👍

• Like 4

• Platinum Member

Welcome to the Club.

I don’t think there are any ‘must have ‘ extras to recommend, it all depends what you want to do with your Jeep. My must have extra might be your ‘ no way’ extra. Off road driver training might be just what you need,  but not much point if you are never planning on taking it off road, although I would recommend you give it a go. I wouldn’t choose the same extras as, say Frosty or Wild Jeeper, they are more out and out off roaders, I’m more an all rounder, good off road, nice overlander capable green laner and comfortable daily. My first extra was a steel front winch bumper….but no particular reason, just thought it looked better than the stock. If you are looking for advice I would recommend going to an event or two ( Aldermaston is next month) see what other people have done and talk to them about their mods, try to figure out what you want from your Jeep and go from there. There is a huge amount of stuff out there, take your time and come up with a plan.

Lets see a picture or two Mrs Bigfella’s Jeep 👍

• Like 3

• Platinum Member

First mod id say is get a bigger wallet...

Ditto though what has been mentioned above, Was always advised to get out in your stock Jeep and learn what it can do in that guise and then work on from there.

When you realise which way you wish to go, overlanding, rock crawling, mudding, mall crawling etc then the options/modifications and people to do them are endless.

Oh and welcome... 

• Like 3

• Platinum Member

For me on my wrangler/ Gladiator it has always been a cheap and quick level kit to remove the nose down stance and then a size up all terrain tyres.  To my mind it makes the Jeeps look like they should have done from the factory.  The UK spec bumper is an eye sore and I have ordered a 2nd hand one from the US and bought the factory metal Rubicon one from Aliexpress respectively for my 2.

it's all down to personal taste and what you plan to do with it.  The Chelsea/ Kahn is one way to go (not for me) or mod to make it tailored for what you plan to do.  Mild to wild, there are a myriad of companies (UK, USA and China) vying to relieve you of your hard earned cash.  Just Empty Every Pocket!

Joining the US wrangler JL forum should be a must, if only to soak up others experiences/ ideas.

Oh and we need a pic or you're making it up!!

My suggestion would be tyres.  If you plan on doing anything other than 100% paved roads a set of All Terrain tyres will serve you well.  But, to avoid buying twice you need to know whether you are happy with stock size or if you will want to raise the suspension and ‘go large’.  But as others have said, a stock Jeep is very capable off road so you may well decide just some new ‘boots’ is all you need.

• Platinum Member
On 04/10/2022 at 00:09, Bigfella said:

Hi all, my wife has loved the wrangler forever and always wanted one so we have finally taken the plunge.  To say she is happy is an understatement, we have gone for a 2019 5 door JL, can anyone recommend the must have extras that we should add.  Thanks in advance 👍

Welcome - if you are anywhere like me you will never look back.... RE MODS it depends on what you want to do with the car, and what JL you actually have (the JL Rubicon stock is incredibly capable for most things in the UK)...

Look for local 4x4 groups (responsible ones...), look at 4x4 tuition and come to the JOC events - I have learnt a lot with ppl that have had Jeeps for a long time, and have been able to test my pretty much standard Rubicon to do things I never though the car could do 🙂

Don't spend money until you tried the car and figured out what you want to do (unless if you have spare cash and want to do mods for the look of it - it is your choice)

• Like 2

• Platinum Member
Overlander21
11 hours ago, jeepstertim said:

Oh and we need a pic or you're making it up!!

Agreed. After all, that is the law of the internet.

The Chelsea/ Kahn is one way to go

I love their mods, especially the interiors and the wider body kits.  I nearly bought a  Chelsea Truck last year.  I don't like the  "angry birds" grill though  🙈

The UK spec bumper is an eye sore

Also agreed. I'll be changing mine in the coming weeks  😬

the US wrangler JL forum should be a must

I visit their "What did you do TO your JL today?" thread on a daily basis.  Heads up... following that thread inevitably ends up costing you money 😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Platinum Member

Thanks for the welcome and the tips, will probably go for the off road training.  Good idea to live with it for a while at first and see how it’s going to be used 👍

85A66C3F-49B1-4EDA-8B6E-129DC4DE692F.jpeg

CBE50A35-C558-4562-AD9C-2EFD95F4B47E.jpeg

• Like 6

• Platinum Member
On 04/10/2022 at 21:51, Overlander21 said:

Welcome from the sunny north west @Bigfella 👋

Where are you guys based?

Stockport, looks like we have the same colour 😁

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
1 hour ago, Bigfella said:

Thanks for the welcome and the tips, will probably go for the off road training.  Good idea to live with it for a while at first and see how it’s going to be used 👍

85A66C3F-49B1-4EDA-8B6E-129DC4DE692F.jpeg

CBE50A35-C558-4562-AD9C-2EFD95F4B47E.jpeg

Welcome fellow blue Jeeper.

Please do come out with your stock Rubicon. Learn how capable they are, talk to other members, drool over theirs mods and then decide which path you want to go.

I highly recommend 4x4 training. 

Before you know it you will be screaming like me while doing stuff like this 😜

FB_IMG_1663796121098-01.thumb.jpeg.7edeb5e7dfc6f9e4d72db030d37e43b3.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

• Platinum Member
Overlander21
21 hours ago, Bigfella said:

Stockport

Shout if ever you're up Wigan way @Bigfella, you're both welcome to pop in for a coffee and a looksee at some blue Wrangler mods  😀

Edited by Overlander21
  • Like 2

On 06/10/2022 at 00:27, Raakhee said:

That does look a bit scream inducing 😂. I’m guessing you have an inclinometer (sp?), if so, did you see what angle you were at?

• Platinum Member
1 hour ago, UKTJ said:

That does look a bit scream inducing 😂. I’m guessing you have an inclinometer (sp?), if so, did you see what angle you were at?

35° pitch. Manny and Claire got 30° because theirs is LWB.

I tried to back out but Simon said I couldn't. I think the squealing of the brakes made it more scary. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Platinum Member
On 06/10/2022 at 21:15, Overlander21 said:

Shout if ever you're up Wigan way @Bigfella, you're both welcome to pop in for a coffee and a looksee at some blue Wrangler mods  😀

That’s very kind, thank you 👍

• Platinum Member
On 06/10/2022 at 00:27, Raakhee said:

Welcome fellow blue Jeeper.

Please do come out with your stock Rubicon. Learn how capable they are, talk to other members, drool over theirs mods and then decide which path you want to go.

I highly recommend 4x4 training. 

Before you know it you will be screaming like me while doing stuff like this 😜

That’s looks amazing, might not be quite ready for that yet as it’s only been tested at tescos and the school run so far 😂

• Haha 2

• Platinum Member
2 hours ago, Bigfella said:

That’s looks amazing, might not be quite ready for that yet as it’s only been tested at tescos and the school run so far 😂

Don't worry, that was me in my brand new Rubicon, first time real off road experience in it. As long as you have a great spotter, you should be fine.

Tesco is an experience as well. Remembering to forward park and squeeze into a narrow bay.

Edited by Raakhee
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Platinum Member
On 05/10/2022 at 23:20, Bigfella said:

Stockport, looks like we have the same colour 😁

not far from me, Oldham. 

On 07/10/2022 at 09:56, Raakhee said:

35° pitch. Manny and Claire got 30° because theirs is LWB.

I tried to back out but Simon said I couldn't. I think the squealing of the brakes made it more scary. 

Yes, I guess that extra wheelbase can make a fair difference.  The wheelbase of the 2 door seems to have only changed a little over the last 25 years.

• Platinum Member
On 08/10/2022 at 02:07, Raakhee said:

Don't worry, that was me in my brand new Rubicon, first time real off road experience in it. As long as you have a great spotter, you should be fine.

Tesco is an experience as well. Remembering to forward park and squeeze into a narrow bay.

Lets face it - you were probably more scared to park at Tesco that doing the bomb hole lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MGomes said:

Lets face it - you were probably more scared to park at Tesco that doing the bomb hole lol

What on earth goes on at the Tesco near you?!? 🤔😂

• Haha 2

• Platinum Member
2 hours ago, UKTJ said:

What on earth goes on at the Tesco near you?!? 🤔😂

No idea but its always busy. Bays are narrow so I get anxious parking. Also have to remember to park forward because of the tailgate. How I miss the hatchback of the Renegade in this case. 

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

I hear ya @Raakhee

For the last 20 years I've been reversing on to my (short) driveway.  If I do that now in the Wrangler, my dog can't get out 😱 🤣

• Haha 1