Is our Rubicon the only one in this colour?

Sicarrie

• Platinum Member

We have a 2014 Rubicon which we believe (according to the dealer when we bought it in 2017) was an ex-Jeep show vehicle. The original owner, the only one before us, certainly was Jeep; so that makes sense.  Moreover, the brave colour choice: "Amp'd", is also what you might expect a show car to be!  What we have never seen is another one in the same colour so I am beginning to think it's the only one unless someone can tell me otherwise?

• Platinum Member

How about some pictures of your Jeep in this spectacular colour? 

I'm surprised that you have a 2014 Rubicon in that colour as back in 2014 there were only four 'official ' colour choices: Black, White, Anvil Blue and Billet Silver. Either it must have been late 2014 or, since it was a Rubicon, it would have been a special order so maybe the dealer was able to get something that wasn't on the official list like Stewart did with his 2014 Sunset Orange Rubicon. 🤔

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

It was available in the USA as an option, so for a UK vehicle it would have been a special order. I have not seen it in person, but for XY chromosome humans that have the usual reduced colour differentiation range you could describe the colour as mustard yellow.

• Platinum Member

Here's a handful of pics as requested (should perhaps have done that from the outset, but then, I'm not very bright).

I generally describe the colours as "newborn-babysh1t".

Screenshot 2022-08-03 174506.png

Screenshot 2022-08-03 174303.png

Screenshot 2022-08-03 174237.png

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

• Platinum Member

Very nice, the colour really suits it.

That last picture has a distinct look of Borrowdale about it, the ford across Borrow Beck on Breasthigh Road 👍

…….possibly the second pic too could be Breasthigh going down into Bretherdale 🤔

Edited by TimC

• Platinum Member

Nice Jeep. I think I remember it being on Jeep's press fleet in 2014. Would have had a reg starting with R something like RX......

as they were registered in Slough.

• Platinum Member
18 hours ago, Sicarrie said:

Here's a handful of pics as requested (should perhaps have done that from the outset, but then, I'm not very bright).

I generally describe the colours as "newborn-babysh1t".

Screenshot 2022-08-03 174506.png

Screenshot 2022-08-03 174303.png

Screenshot 2022-08-03 174237.png

I have sen a JK in my area in that color - you don't happen to live on the Hampshire/Wiltshire border? 

• Platinum Member

No, but we get about!

Here it is with the original reg and less than 24 hours after picking it up from the dealer when we first bought it 👍 😀

F5BDE937-28E2-4244-B565-3F9287E003EB.jpeg

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
41 minutes ago, Sicarrie said:

No, but we get about!

Here it is with the original reg and less than 24 hours after picking it up from the dealer when we first bought it 👍 😀

Some dodgy roads coming out of your local dealer LOL

It was someone doing a school run (dropping a child in the village's primary school) - I was running - so didn't think it was a good idea to wave lol

• Haha 1

• Administrators

Have seen Amp'd when it came out at Horsham Jeep (now gone) but it was an overland version I think they had in the showroom! 

On 03/08/2022 at 21:32, TimC said:

special order so maybe the dealer was able to get something that wasn't on the official list like Stewart did with his 2014 Sunset Orange Rubicon

Yes it was a Special order and I just about got in before the colour run finished up for the year! Also I was Colour matched !

Full Info Here 

• Platinum Member
2 hours ago, Sicarrie said:

No, but we get about!

Hmmmmm......OK, if we're playing "spot the shot location" then I'm guessing still Lake District, rock steps like that, not Grizedale, dry stone wall on right going down hill...my guess would be Parkamoor ? 😉😁  

• Platinum Member

It was the Lake District somewhere; can't remember exactly; but it was a *very* long way from the dealer in Oxfordshire. Long story, but it was an impulse-buy because the car we had been planning to take could not be made 'suitable' in time. It was the colour of the Rubicon that was the clincher!

We love it, but would like to update it, and an Unlimited would make more sense for us now. I would buy a Wrangler 4XE tomorrow if they were available in RHD. In fact, the only reason it would be tomorrow and not today, is that I'm a bit busy (and shouldn't be posting on a forum really). Hurry up Jeep!

So in summary for the original question, it's not unique; there may be another one or two, we think, but it was special order at the time (and rings true with it being a Jeep show car). Surely the only Rubicon 2dr in Amp'd though!

• Platinum Member

The only issue that really affects LHD vehicles in the UK is driver window services. Car park barrier machines, toll booths and drive through fast food restaurants. Cameras, screens and camera multiplexers are now affordable that you can mount a forward overtaking camera on the right side of the screen within wiper arc or on a door mirror and have it's view on the dashboard. Over the shoulder rear view is often better in a LHD than a RHD in the UK.

I have driven into a few toll booth lanes backwards when I have been on my own and not much traffic about. Use the one nearest the hard shoulder so you can turn around again when you exit. I don't recommend that for a drive through or a car park that has turns and kerbs, better to get out and walk to the other side when you can't reach over.

The biggest advantage for a LHD Jeep in the UK is that all of the suspension kits and other LHD specific mods work out of the box. Further down the ownership journey, LHD Jeep parts remain available long after RHD parts have disappeared from warehouses.

• Platinum Member

The other issue is re-sale value/speed. I'm actually quite used to driving LHD cars (in the UK), but it's too much of a compromise for this I'm afraid. As we are talking about something that will rack up the miles, it will be replaced in a few years time and I would be nervous of the penalty to be paid for having a left-hooker and the challenge of finding someone else that wants it. 

• Platinum Member

If you bought a LHD EU spec Wrangler 4xe with an EU certificate of conformity at time of purchase, ou could sell it in the EU or UK privately or through an agent when you are finished with it. Not all EU countries are getting the 4xe so it may be easier to sell a used one in those countries that never got them. Sadly, the EU 4xe is only available in monochrome paint (black, white or grey) as EU buyers don't like colour for some reason. I guess a vinyl wrap would be a solution to that small problem.

Since Brexit there are a number of people that are UK repatriates with a property in the EU that they stay at for up to 90 days in 180. For some that channel hop regularly with a car, having a LHD vehicle is better for them while they are in the EU but they don't want to keep one over there specially. A British registered LHD may be more practical for them than having two vehicles. With an EU certificate of conformity, the vehicle can easily be reregistered in the EU at any time which will appeal to those intending to retire to the EU permanently.

I don't know what the resale values of a Wrangler 4xe will be in 3 or 4 years time. However, some ICE car models that have had restrictions on their numbers placed on them by the EU have shot up in value to the point where used examples are selling for more than the price the first owner paid when it was new. As a hybrid vehicle, the 4xe has a longer potential for usefulness in the EU than a regular diesel or petrol Wrangler or perhaps even a full electric Wrangler. The political situation regarding hybrids has seen them already disappear from sale in some EU states that no longer provide tax advantages for PHEV. Now that we are only three years away from 2025, buying any new car is a gamble while the technology and infrastructure around them is changing. When nations realise the harsh reality that electric cars require many nuclear power stations, the BEV will have had it's day. At a guess, Germany will feel this pain first, France will be last.