Wireless winch remote controls - any good?

V

• Platinum Member

I have to strip my winch down for maintenance and thought it might be a good idea to install a wireless winch remote control while I am at it. I occurred to me that they may not be as good as hoped, with perhaps range limitations, crosstalk with other owner's remotes, or some other issue.

Does anyone use a winch remote control? Are they any good?

• Platinum Member

i had one on my JK, which was ok for a few years, then it stopped working, but it was only a cheap one, i didn't bother replacing it,  the one that was on my TJ when i bought it has stopped working, i an trying to get it replaced at the moment.

i think that if you are getting one, i would go for Lodar of something similar, they are expensive, but much better quality, and waterproof at both ends ( transmitter, and receiver). 

• Platinum Member

I did wonder if the receiver was sufficiently waterproof to be mounted in the control box as claimed by the manufacturers. Perhaps it could be improved by potting in epoxy resin.

I am undecided if I am going to relocate the Albright solenoid from the winch control box into the engine bay. If I do, the remote receiver could be located in a drier spot and could be switched.

I noticed that the product I have looked at has a fixed length wire antenna in the cable bundle leaving the receiver. I am wondering if this is the only thing that needs to be outside the Jeep for good reception. A roof antenna may improve signal reliability and range. If I locate the receiver in the roof under the headlining, a miniature whip antenna made from 3mm ABS tubing could be installed on the outside. The receiver's antenna wire is pushed inside the tubing which serves as an exo-mast. I need to think of some sort of whip antenna base that has a spring for the antenna mast.

I put in-cab controls on my TJ with a dedicated winch control on/off keyswitch. I guess I could wire the power feed for the remote receiver to a similar key controlled circuit in my XJ. That would give me three control options: wired remote, wireless remote and in-cab.

• Platinum Member

you have done similar to me with my JK, the front winch is the 3rd the jeep has had, i moved the solenoid pack to high up under the bonnet, and did have the wireless unit next to it, i did the same with the rear winch, i didnt bother with a wireless remote, as the solenoid pack was only 2 feet from me, so just used the wander lead. 

the TJ had a bridge type winch when i got it, i refurbished the winch, just need to get a new remote when i next get back from Dubai.