Lane Maintenance: Cutting back overgrowth

V

• Platinum Member

Due to UK Wildlife laws, it is illegal to disturb nesting birds between March and August. This means that there are less than three weeks left to do any cutting back on lanes before the summer.

If you know of a lane that could do with some cutting back of overgrowth, now is the time to organise that work as a volunteer activity with the relevant highway authority.

• Platinum Member

This is an interesting one as, from what I know and can tell from the specific article, it leaves a few things open to interpretation (sums up alot of UK law...)

"It is an offence under Section 1 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act of 1981 to intentionally take, damage or destroy the nest of any wild bird while it is in use or being built, or to intentionally kill, injure or take chicks or adults, or intentionally take or destroy any eggs"

As birds tend to nest in the center and/or tops of trees, I find it odd that cutting back those protruding branches would be seen as having an effect on any nesting animals. 

I tend not venture down routes that are super over-grown however have considered having a hand saw handy in the back incase we need to chop any branches that cover the given lane. 

Personally, as an ex member of the police working with the Rural Teams I wouldnt see any issues with someone cutting back branches with a small hand saw/secateurs to stop a vehicle from being damaged. I would however would have had an issue if someone decided to take half the bush/tree out.

Be interested to know if anyone has ever been prosecuted for this. I for one never came across such offences whilst out in Rural Herts. 

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

Abating an obstruction on a byway is legal, but I am sure it only covers the odd branch or scratchy bush that cannot be avoided, not doing the maintenance the highways authority should have done between September and February.

Volunteer lane maintenance always needs highways authority approval. There is usually a requirement for a license/permit to do the work. Along with the risk assessments, competent persons declarations, and health and safety provisions. Which is why they prefer to use existing contractors because volunteers require more admin.

• Platinum Member

I have travelled across wild parts of mountains , moors etc, mainly in  Wales, for many decades, in search of caves. We travel both on foot and by vehicle where we have permission. We stick to paths and tracks. We take great care when travelling off these, but it is necessary sometimes. In fact there is a lot of wildlife including birds nests (Skylarks for example) on the ground. We take all litter and clear up behind us and have never had a problem with land owners.

What annoys me is:-

The number of walkers / hikers who trample straight across everything without apparent regard or consideration   We have to clear up their mess, litter etc. We have been told by others, including wardens(with whom we have had a good relationship) that these same walkers blame people like us when challenged. I believe these are the sort of morons who try to stop us as well, in the best interests of the environment, of course!

• Like 3

• Platinum Member

I forgot. We have been accused of being bird's egg collectors as well!

Its interesting to me that the occasional misbehaving off roaders that  I have seen have all  been in Land Rovers.

Perhaps I will suggest  ''Ban Landies''  in my questionaire. LOL 😃 

You have to laugh because this deprivation of freedom  being pushed for by a small number of  selfish people is not funny.

• Haha 1

• Platinum Member

........apparently Satan himself drives a 4x4 and goes around the countryside collecting eggs and slaughtering bunnies, of course they should be banned!! As you say, would almost be funny if it wasn't so stupid. 

• Haha 1