Towing your Jeep behind a Motorhome

Jules

Something different.....

Thought I would put this question out there as there may be some of you who already do, and perhaps some of you who have been contemplating the idea.  “Towing your Jeep behind a motorhome”

Just a few questions i could think of but probably loads more.

• Which motorhome do you use or recommend.
  • Axle driveline. FWD, RWD, AWD.
  • What towing hitch/frame to be used.
  • Advice on how to prepare the towed Jeep.
  • Things to be aware of when towing a Jeep.
  • Experiences if you already tow a Jeep behind a motorhome.

• Platinum Member

I have not seen flat towing of a Jeep done by a motorhome in the UK. I think the towing weight limits for UK/European motorhomes is going to be a limiting factor. Licence categories too. I have seen plenty of small cars like Smarts and Citroen C1 on small trailers or 2-wheel dollies.

My friend's Dad flat towed an XJ behind a huge motorhome/coach in Utah into his 70's. He had a bulky electric foot brake actuator that bolted into the driver's footwell in the Cherokee that was wired into the brake lights of the motorhome. I think he also had a rear view camera mounted high on the motorhome body. The Jeep had a detachable A-frame that connected to special brackets that replaced the factory tow hook brackets. The XJ transmission was placed in neutral and the transfer case was also in neutral. I can't remember if he had free wheeling Warn hubs or not. I followed him from north of Salt Lake City, Utah to Silverton, Colorado. I don't remember him ever having to reverse on that journey.

A Skoolie Hauler is probably a better idea. Some US conversions have definitely been done without any mathematics. The best ones have the Jeep's weight distributed evenly over the rear axle or a third axle added.

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
8 hours ago, Jules said:

Something different.....

Thought I would put this question out there as there may be some of you who already do, and perhaps some of you who have been contemplating the idea.  “Towing your Jeep behind a motorhome”

Just a few questions i could think of but probably loads more.

• Which motorhome do you use or recommend.
  • Axle driveline. FWD, RWD, AWD.
  • What towing hitch/frame to be used.
  • Advice on how to prepare the towed Jeep.
  • Thinks to be aware of when towing a Jeep.
  • Experiences if you already tow a Jeep behind a motorhome.

I seem to remember a posting on here about some guy in America who did exactly that - towed a Jeep behind a motor home - and managed to explode the Jeep engine for some reason 🤔

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
4 hours ago, V said:

I have not seen flat towing of a Jeep done by a motorhome in the UK. I think the towing weight limits for UK/European motorhomes is going to be a limiting factor. Licence categories too. I have seen plenty of small cars like Smarts and Citroen C1 on small trailers or 2-wheel dollies.

My friend's Dad flat towed an XJ behind a huge motorhome/coach in Utah into his 70's. He had a bulky electric foot brake actuator that bolted into the driver's footwell in the Cherokee that was wired into the brake lights of the motorhome. I think he also had a rear view camera mounted high on the motorhome body. The Jeep had a detachable A-frame that connected to special brackets that replaced the factory tow hook brackets. The XJ transmission was placed in neutral and the transfer case was also in neutral. I can't remember if he had free wheeling Warn hubs or not. I followed him from north of Salt Lake City, Utah to Silverton, Colorado. I don't remember him ever having to reverse on that journey.

A Skoolie Hauler is probably a better idea. Some US conversions have definitely been done without any mathematics. The best ones have the Jeep's weight distributed evenly over the rear axle or a third axle added.

V you have to love the Americans - mad as a box of frogs but they do get the job done 👍👍👍

Tim....Yes.....Yes.....Yes!

Over the years I have worked with quite a few who have decided to out their “bricks and mortar” lifestyle for that of a “full timer” motorhomer and tow a vehicle. 

They absolutely enjoy it and wonder why they never did it sooner. Not for everyone I admit.

Quite a financial saving can be made, potentially no debts, and to do as you please, where you please, within reason. And yes, as with everything in life there are Pros and Cons. Each to their own as they say.

Enjoy the thrill of an adventure, destination unknown, and then enjoy what they are towing or what is stowed aboard when you like..

Whats not to like?

So I thought...motorhome & Jeep...perfect combination. Should the motorhome be equipped with an onboard garage to house a motorbike or two then even better in my view.

All options covered for great adventures.

Quite a few motorhomes are permitted to tow a Jeep, main restriction these days, as V has pointed out, is if your driving licence has the permitted catagory.

Travel where you want

Not tied to anywhere for accommodation.

Explore in the Jeep....or roadtrips on the motorbike.....

Whats not to enjoy? 

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

some here will know Pete shapter and his wife zelda, they towed their TJ behind their motorhome, a Uk motorhome, i think he had to change a few bits on the TJ. 

• Platinum Member

Jules,

I have been looking at articulated trucks for a similar reason. Building a home inside an ex-refrigerated trailer (already insulated) and another box trailer or curtain-side as a workshop/transporter. Excluding fuel for travelling (which would be a big expense), overnight truck stop parking with facilities is cheaper (for one trailer) over the year than renting a flat with a non-existent double garage in most of the UK.

I haven't got verification from official sources yet, but someone told me recently that a PSV licence is only needed for Public Service Vehicles and an HGV licence is only needed for Heavy Goods Vehicles. There is some loophole where a 1980's double decker bus can be driven on a 7.5ton licence if used for personal use this also applies to a number of heavy historic (traction engines) and military vehicles. I don't know if this is true, but I suspect it has something to do with vehicle categories in the UK prior to some EU legislation being adopted. Would be great if it was as I would be going shopping for a M916 at Boyce Equipment.

• Platinum Member
12 minutes ago, frosty said:

some here will know Pete shapter and his wife zelda, they towed their TJ behind their motorhome, a Uk motorhome, i think he had to change a few bits on the TJ. 

I knew they towed Zelda's little car on a trailer, but I didn't know they flat towed the TJ.

• Platinum Member
14 hours ago, otruk said:

What a coincidence just finishing up my flat tow bar for my TJ!!!!!!

How did you do the braking system? I found this website today that you may be interested in.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

Braking is via cable, looked at electronic options etc, but they live under the seat which has the possibility of filling with water when being too enthusiastic!  So the same set up as ordinary trailer cable brakes pulling the brake pedal.  Will get some photos in the next few days when I have finished it.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

I'm certainly no expert on trailers or trailer law. If I have understood your description properly, I think you may have an inertia style braking system. From what I read earlier this week, I don't think these are legal any more on new 'trailers' other than a centre axle trailer. How the current legislation applies to non-type approved equipment I have no idea. It would be worth making some more enquiries before using it.

If you do find a fountain of trailer law knowledge, I need to know if I can use a NATO hitch on my custom built in the USA, non-EU approved tow hitch.

• Platinum Member
2 hours ago, V said:

If you do find a fountain of trailer law knowledge, I need to know if I can use a NATO hitch on my custom built in the USA, non-EU approved tow hitch.

Definitely not my area of expertise either, but if I remember rightly, there's a quirk with receiver hitches - they're illegal as a towing point on passenger cars, but legal on commercial vehicles such as vans/pickups. I don't know how you would go about re-registering an XJ to take advantage, although given one of yours spent a period of life being officially recognised as a 'tractor' it might be right up your street...

• Platinum Member

V you mentioned new trailers, however the trailer in this case will be a 97 TJ and therefore should not have to comply to the newer trailer regulations.  I hope!!!

• Platinum Member
6 hours ago, otruk said:

V you mentioned new trailers, however the trailer in this case will be a 97 TJ and therefore should not have to comply to the newer trailer regulations.  I hope!!!

I genuinely like to see people make things from their own imagination. It saddens me that we live in a world where that ingenuity is no longer respected and that our society makes laws to prevent creative people from enjoying being themselves. I don't think that there is any aspect of my life that I once enjoyed that is now tarnished, ruined or prohibited by some new law. I don't like seeing people fall foul of legislation that we have managed to do without for so long.

It only takes a letter to DVSA to clarify if your flat-towing braking system is not going to cause trouble. Whatever the outcome, you will have the peace of mind of knowing. A couple of years ago I got sent a warning in the post from a constabulary using snapshots from video evidence taken from gantry cameras. I had no idea I was doing anything wrong being a 20th century man. I got let off that time, but the experience made me aware that we are being watched everywhere now.

I will have to follow my own advice and write to DVSA about using a swivelling NATO hitch to tow an adventure trailer behind an XJ. I will let you know what happens.

Dare I mention caravans? If you're going to tow something, with all the problems of size, maneuverability and legal restrictions, why not tow the accommodation behind the Jeep, rather than the other way round? Caravans are designed and constructed to be towed, so you don't need to worry about modifying them with A-frames and electric brakes. A big Jeep is one of the best towing vehicles you can buy, with enough capacity to tow any commercially available touring van. 

We've dragged ours along unmade roads, sandy tracks, over Pyrenéan passes and to the highest campsite in Spain (Pitres, Sierra Nevada). You can leave the van on site whilst touring in the Jeep, and, for most set ups, do it with a B+E licence. You'll need at least a C to drive an RV big enough to flat-tow a Jeep. We can reverse our caravan, too – try that with a Jeep behind an RV!

Most small motorhomes cost more second hand than any large new caravan, so the cost works out better, as well.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

That's a good point. Caravan's also don't get charged road tax.

Not really valid for a lot of JK's that were type approved with only 1000Kg braked as the limit.

14 minutes ago, V said:

That's a good point. Caravan's also don't get charged road tax.

Not really valid for a lot of JK's that were type approved with only 1000Kg braked as the limit.

The JK towing limit is a bit of a joke; not sure why it's so low, but it differs according to the wheelbase, I think. There are firms who will do calculations and re-plate the max towing limit on an individual basis, so one can get around that. The limit for a WK2 is about 3 tonnes, which is twice the maximum permitted mass of my reasonably spacious, German-built, caravan. I have tried towing a heavier van with a 4-door JL (diesel); perfectly adequate, but lacked the useful 'grunt' of my WK2 when joining motorways.

Edited by Gerald F
  • Like 1

• Platinum Member

I've got a camper van so why would I buy a caravan, make use of what you have also I cant tow a boat with a caravan!