Moving From US to UK with 2018 Jeep Wrangler JK 2dr

KenAnthony

• Platinum Member
KenAnthony

Hello Everyone!

I am currently living in the US but am moving to Mildenhall in about a month and a half.  I am trying to figure out what to expect shipping my vehicle over. I have everything just about stock except for my 33 in BFG Ko2 Tires. What modifications/taxes/expenses should I be ready for? I also currently have a soft top, should I get a hard top going there?

• Platinum Member

Hi Ken,

Welcome to the club. There are a few threads on this topic, here's one:

New to U.K. - Introduce Yourselves! - Jeep Owners Club

It used to be that when I pasted that page address in it actually came up with a link........sadly doesn't seem to be working now, hey ho.  Anyway, do a search on "New to U.K." , include the stops after U and K , and you'll find it. Lots of useful info.

And the soft top will be fine, you don't need a hard top, soft top is better anyway.

Cheers 

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

Well, I like a hard top myself 'cos I'm old and don't like being cold and wet especially in Winter. When I was young, I had the top off nearly 100% but now I'm an old git top off is a rare occasion. Even in the rare summer heat I find the hard top more comfortable especially  if I'm  stopped . There's lots of jams here.  I find Security might be a consideration too!  Its all personal preference.

I would have thought a hard top and anything else you fancy will be a lot cheaper bought there! You will have to get advice from others as to how to bring bits here and reduce tax. I have feeling its much better if they are classed as used but I don't know.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Platinum Member

I don't believe a hard top is necessary for the UK, we rarely have long hard winters, and only high altitudes get regular snow in winter.

My Swiss JKU was supplied new as dual top. I switched to the soft top as soon as the snow had thawed but never put it back on again for the next two winters. My TJ in the UK never had a hard top. I stopped looking for one when I mothballed the JK's hard top.

As Digger says, security may be an issue which is why all new British spec Wranglers since 2007 are supplied new with hard tops to achieve an acceptable 'Thatcham' rating. It's a security assessment done by the British insurance industry to grade theft prevention capabilities. For British drivers, insurance is often more expensive for convertibles. I don't know what the deal is for US military regarding insurance. What applies to us may not apply to you.

If your personal goods customs or freight allowance is good, use whatever spare you have to pack extra Jeep parts.

• Like 2

• Platinum Member

welcome to the club- My tuppence- My TJ has a soft top and my JKU has  a hardtop. Personally i was looking for a hardtop on the JK as i found over the later years i never took the soft top off just the windows out.

I dont find it any colder with a soft top than a hardtop either- the heater was more than sufficient.

look forward to meeting-

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
KenAnthony
On 12/05/2021 at 10:33, TimC said:

Hi Ken,

Welcome to the club. There are a few threads on this topic, here's one:

New to U.K. - Introduce Yourselves! - Jeep Owners Club

It used to be that when I pasted that page address in it actually came up with a link........sadly doesn't seem to be working now, hey ho.  Anyway, do a search on "New to U.K." , include the stops after U and K , and you'll find it. Lots of useful info.

And the soft top will be fine, you don't need a hard top, soft top is better anyway.

Cheers 

Thank you so much for the advice and link!