J10 vin help/Q plate/Build date?

Paul Marshall

• Platinum Member
Paul Marshall

Hi All, 

I had an XJ, sold it then the prices went up!!!!, i imported two XJ's from Japan last year, while looking i also bought a 1991 Grand Wagoneer, and then in the uk i got a 1979 J10 Pickup, they are compulsive....

The question is , the J10 is on a Q plate, previous owner said the info passed on was problems finding the original VIN

While stripping the seats to clean the covers i found a factory build sheet, that has vin on it, and dealer number.

The IFSJA site confirms the details as 1979 - where can i narrow down the number to a month so i can prove build date and try to get it on an age related plate.

Any help or pointers welcome,

regards Paul

IMG_4155 (1).jpg

• Platinum Member

There’s a guy on IFSJA (Tonka I think is his name) who has copies of various sheets that tally serial numbers to build dates, but I don’t think the info goes as far as ‘79. Worth a look, though.

An alternative option if the Jeep is fairly original is to look elsewhere on the truck for date info.  Sixties trucks can be dated by an LOF code on the glass, for example. Some engines have a casting date identifier, while some carbs have a tag that includes a date code.

Since parts could easily have been swapped over the years, you may need to collect multiple date codes to corroborate each other, or perhaps identify original parts that can be tied to a specific model year which may have had a known model year changeover date.

The DVLA often used to accept letters from a recognised owners club in support of other evidence; I don’t know if that’s something JOC wants to get involved with.

Lastly, you can’t come on here and say you have a J10 without giving us pics, too.😃

• Platinum Member

Yes, but that only gives us the year, as Paul says.  You need at least the month, too, to ascertain which plate letter it should have.  A '79 could be either a T or a V-plate, depending on which side of August it fell.

• Platinum Member
Paul Marshall

thanks for the pointers all, much appreciated!

pics of the j10 and wagoneer (still yet to be registered, i got a lift kit from bj's offroad and waiting for more stuff) one black xj in backround - that and a red one are advertised i need to sell one/keep one

ill try to get in touch with tonka! im in southampton SO32 if anyone wants to pop in for a chat

regards Paul

IMG_0945.jpg

IMG_0944.jpg

IMG_0952.jpg

IMG_0951.jpg

IMG_1778.jpg

• Platinum Member
13 hours ago, AlexK said:

Yes, but that only gives us the year, as Paul says.  You need at least the month, too, to ascertain which plate letter it should have.  A '79 could be either a T or a V-plate, depending on which side of August it fell.

The only place I know of that has the build month on the vehicle is, or at least is on my ‘79 CJ a secondary VIN label on the dash just to the left of the steering column. It’s not a plate it’s a printed label , mine has faded over the years but it still gives the build month of February 1979 which can just about be made out now.

• Platinum Member

.........and love the J10 👍😁😎, where on earth did you find one of those in the Uk?

Edited by TimC