Jeep Numbers.

j crammond

• Platinum Member

I can remember trying to work this out some time ago.  You can use howmanyleft.co.uk to get an idea, but it's not easy to drill down into the data, and what data there is comes from the DVLA so is notoriously incomplete.

However, if you look at Jeeps that don't have a declared model but are registered as being built between 1941 and '45, there are 116 licensed and 35 SORNed.  Of course, these might not necessarily be MBs.

CJs are harder.  It's not possible to identify, say, a CJ-5 from a CJ-7 as it's usually not declared in the data.  You can pick the registration year and hope for the best, but there is quite an overlap.

When I looked at this for a piece last year, I ended up downloading the data from the DVLA and writing an app to trawl through it.  I was looking at CJ-7s back then, so looked at anything declared in the 1976-86 range (that will include some CJ-5s, too - nothing I can do about that).  Back then, there were 414 in the UK, the vast majority of which were SORNed (this was November).  I haven't looked to see what the current numbers say.

Hope that gives an idea.  The short answer is it's impossible to find out exactly because the DVLA's data is horrible.  But we can make guestimates.

• Platinum Member

sorry, i could not find anything on DVLA site , think i would need 2 weeks to find anything on there.       jim