Jeep XJ 1996, Project!

Theodorerms

• Platinum Member

Hi guys, so I recently purchased the old girl with a huge dent in the front and a buggered alternator and no brakes and a bundle of other little things that need sorting. I've been slowly working my way through, so far rebuilt the rear brakes and brake lines and had a go at hammering out the dent. next up I ordered some second hand shocks and front springs that i will throw in when they arrive but can't seem to find anyone selling standard rear leafs for a reasonable price.

also would love some advice though on a loose piston when idle (at least that is what it sounds like - should i wait for it to crap itself and replace the engine....

Orrr... hold off and try using higher octane fuel and new sparks plugs (ill get new spark plugs anyway i think), could that be a possibility? I read somewhere that increasing the pressure in the cylinder may help or make it last longer, yes i am a novice... 😄

Here are some Photos of the bits i mentioned;

585447521_jeepsideonrepair.thumb.jpg.3d30625dec9011c09ae29af06039bad8.jpg670102774_frontdent.thumb.jpg.935b8953334ee9c4debb2134eb09445a.jpg1977431625_oldsparkplugs.thumb.jpg.5caad09f79d6cb5b91d3fd4913ce33e9.jpg1279922678_workoutrustybrakes.thumb.jpg.20267cbc2019badac1fbe7310c1eac52.jpg

• Platinum Member

Welcome to the Club. The XJ is a classic and a great Jeep but that one is looking quite poorly 🤕, glad to see it's found a good home and someone to breathe some new life into it. Hope all goes well with the rebuild 👍

• Thanks 1

• Platinum Member
On 21/11/2019 at 20:30, Jim said:

What is wrong with the rear leafs? If they are just sagging you may be able to add a leaf to bring them back to life

image.png

They are just sagging and have a fair bit of surface rust. If i do add a leaf how long do you think it will last?

• Platinum Member
On 24/11/2019 at 14:02, Jim said:

I had them on my '98 XJ for a couple of years before I sold her and she did go through a lot of off roading during this time. Mine were part of a 2" Rough Country lift.

Also check your existing leafs for any hairline cracks.

So it appears like it does have a small crack on the drivers side. I have found a couple of leafs online second hand for £70 that are functional and will do.

I would like to put a 2.5" lift on it at some point next year, do you recommend the add a leaf springs rather than a full set of new extended ones?

• 1 month later...
  • Platinum Member

You can get XJ leaf springs custom made in the UK at Rossendale Road Springs. They made a custom set of 5.5" lifted springs for me 17 years ago to my design and although they have sagged about an inch in that time they would be my first choice for top quality British made leaf springs. Their springs are agricultural looking compared to finely engineered springs from the well known Australian companies. My springs don't have isolator pads, but they are military wrap and have given me 17 years of hard offroad service, six of which my Jeep was used as a forestry tractor often filled to the roof lining with logs. If you just want original equipment equivalents they don't need any drawings, they have all the original measurements and ratings for most leaf sprung vehicles.