it's here.........

fen01

• Platinum Member

Millions of pounds spent on development and they've produced a cross between a Skoda Yeti and Mini Clubman on steroids.

Edited by fen01

• Platinum Member
21 minutes ago, Volant165 said:

image.pnglooks like this disco-ntinued Toyota

now this is a truck I would buy... and, was looking at this before the jeep.  These are great

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
33 minutes ago, Volant165 said:

Please tell me this is a parody? The mules running around on the roads near me look so much better 

sadly not a parody!!

From the official site.  Prices start at £45k to £78K for the 110 variant.  

90 variant starts at £40K

https://buildyour.landrover.co.uk/lr2/r/model/_/en_gb/l663_k20/4pbir/a-x/?_ga=2.100726212.49328427.1568108968-1957087498.1568108968

• Platinum Member

Hmmmm...well, I have to say that, actually, I really like it 😲. As a vehicle I think the looks are pretty good, engines, spec and offroadyness 

all not too bad, only thing that would put me off is it is very expensive.

I know this may not be the view of Defender purists but I think it looks like a big improvement over the old one and it’s long overdue.

Last weekend I had a couple of days off road in Wales with a Discovery 3 and a late model  (2010) SWB Defender. It was the first time (surprisingly) that I’ve been up close with a Defender and driven one and unfortunately I was really surprised just how “old fashioned” it was. Don’t get me wrong, usually I am all for “old fashioned” I love Series Landys, and my ‘79 CJ but this was just old fashioned and bad. The off road performance was great, nothing stopped the Defender but to drive it was horrendous. The cabin was cramped, dark and uncomfortable, everything was hard to get to and in the wrong place, visibility was terrible, the door mirrors wobbled all over the place, the ride was poor, it was noisy, the quality of the finish was poor.......I have no idea how people drive these things on a daily basis. Considering the Discovery was two years older it was in a different class as far as comfort and driveability was concerned.

I hope LR do well with this, it is obviously going to target a different market to the old Defender but in my opinion it can only be a big improvement.

Pic of Defender, Discovery and Wrangler on the Wayfarer last weekend.............Wrangler still the coolest by far 😎      

7472AB9C-4B70-4567-BD1D-224832F52908.jpeg

472ECC57-4FAD-487A-81AC-90C175CBA682.jpeg

I just specced out the 110 I'd have on the configurator - over £100k.  Was thinking that this maybe a 7 seater solution cheaper than a disco...

I like the interior - but think they've departed too far from Defender DNA on the exterior.  This is a big money vehicle and makes a JLU Rubi look like a  bargain!  Tim, shameless  jeep placement in a LR thread 😅

• Platinum Member
6 minutes ago, Matt said:

I just specced out the 110 I'd have on the configurator - over £100k.  Was thinking that this maybe a 7 seater solution cheaper than a disco...

I like the interior - but think they've departed too far from Defender DNA on the exterior.  This is a big money vehicle and makes a JLU Rubi look like a  bargain!  Tim, shameless  jeep placement in a LR thread 😅

Over £100k!!😮😮 that is insane.......for a Defender! As you say Matt, makes the JLU Rubi look a total bargain, and I thought that was a bit pricey.. You could by a JL Rubicon and then buy another as a spare for that price.

Yes Matt, sorry no shame! That Defender in the pic was £17k and is 10 years old but has no central locking and wind up windows! Again, I suppose OK for defender purists but............not for me.

• Platinum Member

Just did my build for a standard 110S with the 300HP 2.0L petrol and it came in at £51,750. Expensive but not as much as I thought it would be and only a bit more than a JL Rubicon, not actually too bad and in about the right ball park I’d have said. 

• Platinum Member
51 minutes ago, Jim said:

Bet you went for the white steel rims, lol.

😁 Ah you know me too well Jim but no, I didn’t like them which is what put me off the base model. The 110S comes with 19” alloys.

• Platinum Member

I don't care what it looks like,  no land rover will ever better a jeep for me. I had a row of 'em and many mates ( I pity them)still do.   For me  reliable they were not, comfy they were not, rust they did. I saw one today , only 4 years old and the rear chassis member was rust shot!   Finally  they treated me appallingly with a serious warranty issue on a 3 month old car.

PS   5 jeeps after Landies --   brilliant.  

PS 2. I experienced the Toyota in Oz and it was  good .

• Platinum Member
14 hours ago, Jim said:

This one looks much better.

image.png

I have to commend JLR for this marketing success...  It does elevate the brand and model's identity around the world

Not sure why FCA have never approached Lego to collaborate on a Jeep model (or even a Fiat 500) model..

It seems companies see the merit on brand marketing through lego.

• Platinum Member
1 hour ago, fen01 said:

I have to commend JLR for this marketing success...  It does elevate the brand and model's identity around the world

Not sure why FCA have never approached Lego to collaborate on a Jeep model (or even a Fiat 500) model..

It seems companies see the merit on brand marketing through lego.

Jeep UK have sponsored UK Legoland for over 10 years?

• Platinum Member
41 minutes ago, Volant165 said:

This is Jeep UK, though.

The Defender model will be available globally, both on line and at Lego stores. From a marketing perspective, it is a good moved by JLR as a whole.  It will be interesting to see how long it is before a lego e-type or d-type is produced.

Lego is one of those strange items which has become really mainstream with it's brand association.  It also has somewhat of a cult following which does result in those retired / hard to find kits going for big money..

• Platinum Member
On 10/09/2019 at 13:30, TimC said:

Hmmmm...well, I have to say that, actually, I really like it 😲. As a vehicle I think the looks are pretty good, engines, spec and offroadyness 

all not too bad, only thing that would put me off is it is very expensive.

I know this may not be the view of Defender purists but I think it looks like a big improvement over the old one and it’s long overdue.

Last weekend I had a couple of days off road in Wales with a Discovery 3 and a late model  (2010) SWB Defender. It was the first time (surprisingly) that I’ve been up close with a Defender and driven one and unfortunately I was really surprised just how “old fashioned” it was. Don’t get me wrong, usually I am all for “old fashioned” I love Series Landys, and my ‘79 CJ but this was just old fashioned and bad. The off road performance was great, nothing stopped the Defender but to drive it was horrendous. The cabin was cramped, dark and uncomfortable, everything was hard to get to and in the wrong place, visibility was terrible, the door mirrors wobbled all over the place, the ride was poor, it was noisy, the quality of the finish was poor.......I have no idea how people drive these things on a daily basis. Considering the Discovery was two years older it was in a different class as far as comfort and driveability was concerned.

I hope LR do well with this, it is obviously going to target a different market to the old Defender but in my opinion it can only be a big improvement.

Pic of Defender, Discovery and Wrangler on the Wayfarer last weekend.............Wrangler still the coolest by far 😎      

7472AB9C-4B70-4567-BD1D-224832F52908.jpeg

472ECC57-4FAD-487A-81AC-90C175CBA682.jpeg

I worked with chap who took a permanent role just get his hands on one of the final 110s off the line at a stupid low price.  He did say he would never travel long distance in it as it was truly awful to drive; position, clutch, etc...

I have a friend how had a late model 90.  Lots of extras / work done to it.  It was his 'dream vehicle'  stuck his airstream to the back of it and his fuel consumption went down to around 17mpg and was having to stop every 5 minutes to fill  as they have a small tank....  

Replaced it with a Disco 4, which he says is a completely different beast.

• Platinum Member
7 hours ago, Volant165 said:

Have they?- Dont recall any jeep signs in the park.  Might have to go again to double check!

• Platinum Member

I just built a 110 and didn't go too over the top with options, and it still came to just over 60k.

That included the white steel wheels, which I'd swap myself immediately anyway, along with a few other things, so that's 60k with extra mods on top... JLUR for me next then.