Tyres on a Jeep Grand Cherokee

Surfer

• Platinum Member

Our Jeep has Continentals fitted on the front and an unknown make (Royal something or other) on the rear.  The owners manual states that tyres should be of equal size, type, and circumference.  Tyres are of equal size and circumference and although different brand between front and rear, the tread patterns look very similar.

When we bought the Jeep the rear tyres had only just been fitted by the trader and we changed the front ones about a week after we purchased the Jeep.  Tyres have all done about 5k miles.  On our previous Jeep we had Michelins all round.

I am now wondering if it is okay to carry on using the Royals on the rear as I know some permanent 4 wheel drive do not like mixed tyres even though there are matching tyres on the same axle as we do a lot of towing a 2000kg trailer.  Any comments?  Thanks.

• Platinum Member

Thanks Jim and I was thinking of every 10k to rotate them however it should be done by the Jeep dealership when the vehicle goes for its service in October.  It has taken since Oct to do about 4000k.  LOL!